Anamorphic super 8

DanC1

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi thanks for the reply. no I sent it off for processing. Yeah I was thinking if I was to do it again it would have to be mainly close up and medium shots. I'm using a movezoom 10 MOS with a sankor 16C so it vingnettes quite badly on anything but full zoom. The camera is great though. 

Stick to super 8 like me :) Your Movexoom is a good camera. Most of the cameras are ridicolously cheap but stock and processing is so so expensive. I think its not cheap in Japan either. Single 8 was very popular there btw and is maybe better than super8. The problem with super 8 and anamorphic is that 2x stretch is too wide. The film is just too tiny and too grainy. The grain look oval. Thats why all those Iscos, Mollers (for 8mm) had only 1,5 factor. Only the Baby Hypergonar with 1,75 was wider. So you could achieve true 2:35 cinemascope. But the image was too bad. Try to use Kodak 50D negative stock that has so little grain like 16mm and will work best with your 2x Sankor. Keep on filming ! :)

Thanks Rudolf, I'll definitely try 50D next. One of the main problems I'm having is vignetting at anything other than full zoom. Which makes it really difficult to handhold. I wonder if there's a solution to this. 

On 21/07/2017 at 11:04 PM, whoisjsd said:

Unfortunately, other than getting the anamorphic closer to the lens glass, the only way to get rid of the vignette is to get a bigger and/or shorter anamorphic. The Sankor is really long (I actually have one sitting on my desk right now) and the glass elements aren't that big. You'd have to get your hands on one of the 8mm anamorphics or one of the larger 16mm anamorphics.

Thanks, do you guys have any recommendations for larger 8mm or 16mm anamorphics? 

Of course the mighty Iscorama 54 is the best bet for Super 8. It was built for that purpose. Works great with the high quality Schneider zooms you could find on many different Super 8 cameras especially the better ones (Leicina, Braun, Beaulieu, Movexzoom, Fujica ZC, Nikon, Canon). But this is quite expensive. I have another suggestion but I am not sure if this will work (I sold my Sankor 16F about 6 years ago...): The tiny and cheap Canon 310 XL-S is a great camera and has a very small zoom lens. This could reduce vignetting significantly. This could be a cheap alternative. Good luck! :) 

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2017 at 7:47 PM, Rudolf said:

Of course the mighty Iscorama 54 is the best bet for Super 8. It was built for that purpose. Works great with the high quality Schneider zooms you could find on many different Super 8 cameras especially the better ones (Leicina, Braun, Beaulieu, Movexzoom, Fujica ZC, Nikon, Canon). But this is quite expensive. I have another suggestion but I am not sure if this will work (I sold my Sankor 16F about 6 years ago...): The tiny and cheap Canon 310 XL-S is a great camera and has a very small zoom lens. This could reduce vignetting significantly. This could be a cheap alternative. Good luck! :) 

Did you ever use the sankor 16f with a super8 camera? I bought one and i would like to try It with my super8