My Thoughts Canon 1DXMK2 vs Panasonic Lumix GH5

DBounce

looks like I struck a nerve with GH5 users.. I was only recommending 5D4 vs 1DX2.

..but FYI 5D4 shoots stills and 1080p at full frame which is a giant plus imo. It's 4K crop is close enough to Super35 that using a Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 made for APS-C works fine but of course it's still far off from FF look. That being said I think GH5 & 5D4 are targeted at very different users. no clear "winner" they're just different.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have no horse in the race either as I'm currently on Fuji XT2 and sold both my Canon bodies ( 5D3 & C100 ) and am not sure what I will replace them with yet..

For what it's worth 5D4's 1080 is much sharper then 5D3's mushy 1080. DSLR's OLPF will always render softer then mirrorless though obviously..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm still hesitating between the two, since I can buy a used 1Dx mark ii for about the same price as a GH5 + Speedbooster.

Is the 1dx2 touchscreen bright enough to use it during a sunny day? Or is a z-finder mandatory ?

Is the GH5 autofocus "Ok" for photography (fast moving subjects)? 

Could someone share some short 1DX2 MJPEG footage to test if it plays smoothly in resolve and the gradability (wetransfer sample files from philip bloom are not available anymore) 

Thank you

7 hours ago, wildrym said:

Hi, I'm still hesitating between the two, since I can buy a used 1Dx mark ii for about the same price as a GH5 + Speedbooster.

Is the 1dx2 touchscreen bright enough to use it during a sunny day? Or is a z-finder mandatory ?

Is the GH5 autofocus "Ok" for photography (fast moving subjects)? 

Could someone share some short 1DX2 MJPEG footage to test if it plays smoothly in resolve and the gradability (wetransfer sample files from philip bloom are not available anymore) 

Thank you

Have both cameras.  Idx2 in bright sunlight, like poolside, is really hard to judge exposure.  Gh5 with zebras and viewfinder really helps.  The dpaf on the 1dx2 is awesome for follow focus and facial recognition.  The GH5 doesn’t come close.  The stills on the gh5 are not great but the video quality and ibis are superb.  Basically, you go from not having to worry too much about focus but spend your time judging exposure and a steady camera to more easily setting exposure and have steady shots handheld but worrying about focus.  In the shade the 1dx2 lcd is fine.  Idx2 files play smoothly in Fcpx, the gh5 files need to be transcoded to proves.  Not sure about resolve as I don’t use it.