5d Mark iii ML Raw or Gh5?

Boygetslost

Thanks for the wealth of information everyone! I will buying one of the cameras today?

hyalinejim - How did you get your footage in the comparison video, so organic? Most other footage I have found on the GH5 seems to sharp for me. And  I have noticed some weird haze on some of the highlights. But not on your comparison. Is there any specific things your are doing with the camera to achieve that?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks for the wealth of information everyone! I will buying one of the cameras today?

hyalinejim - How did you get your footage in the comparison video, so organic? Most other footage I have found on the GH5 seems to sharp for me. And  I have noticed some weird haze on some of the highlights. But not on your comparison. Is there any specific things your are doing with the camera to achieve that?

Vlog with -5 settings  make all of this magic 

12 minutes ago, Boygetslost said:

thanks tihon!

I went with the 5d raw in the end! Happy so far, but just getting my act together at the moment!

omg i am SO glad i didnt post in this thread a few days ago ? 

@Boygetslost i really like your username and if youre half as arty as it is youll love 5d3 raw ?

theres a wealth of information here so you can avoid the jungles of the ml forum lol

P.S. its easy

On 7/12/2017 at 10:05 PM, mercer said:

I haven't used a GH5, but from the samples that were out, at the time, I chose the 5D3 because of this video. I have yet to see anything from the GH5 that looks as cinematic as this...

Or this...

However, I have seen some fine videos since and I am sure good narratives could be made with a GH5.

Glenn, I like the colors of the first video muchly, but it's soft as 540p and there's a bunch of aliasing. The second video seems to have a lot of sharpening added in post, and maybe some aggressive film grain too. Are you seeing the same thing as me, or is it my monitor? 

Mark3 with raw is an ultimate tool if you want best IQ. Remember that you get not just only video camera but one of the best photo camera. But for me, ml raw is a hack, and cant be on pair with original firmware raw advantages of bmcc, for example. So for the best IQ i would go to BMCC.

gh5 is the best one in sub 2k class in case of overall usability. IQ is really good, ibis, vlog, mtf mount helps to use all kind of lenses. 

If i have more money and was not been  just a hobbyst i would buy bm ursa mini 4.6k or Pro version

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

Glenn, I like the colors of the first video muchly, but it's soft as 540p and there's a bunch of aliasing. The second video seems to have a lot of sharpening added in post, and maybe some aggressive film grain too. Are you seeing the same thing as me, or is it my monitor? 

Jon, I am not seeing any aliasing in the first video, where did you notice it? Yes, it definitely looks softer than Panasonic footage with a native Panny lens, but I wouldn't say it looks like 540p. Or maybe I find 540p footage looks better than GH5 footage... LOL.

Did you try watching the video directly from Vimeo? Because I did notice that the filmmaker only has two viewing options... 360p and 1080p, so it's possible that due to your internet connection, Vimeo is automatically choosing the 360p version.

Also ML Raw has ZERO in camera sharpening. In the description, the filmmaker states that he added sharpen at default in FCPX which I believe is 2.5, which really isn't much. But I think we've also established that you prefer ultra sharp footage, so the soft, I prefer organic, look just may not be your cup of tea.

In the second video, I believe the filmmaker did add some gorilla grain, which can add to the perception of sharpness. I don't know if I would say a lot of sharpening or excessive film grain, but that could be taste, so I will yield to your preferences.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't have included that video anyway, because he used the GH4 for the slow motion footage, so it wasn't a true representation of 5D3 with ML Raw.

6 minutes ago, Boygetslost said:

Mercer.

What are you using to process your dng's?

Resolve or Ae?

or something else?

I use Raw Magic and Resolve mostly. I also like MLRawViewer and process them to ProRes as pseudo Arri LogC but it doesn't always work with Sierra. The new Footage App is pretty good too and with it you can go right from MLV to ProRes with it. 

44 minutes ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks Mercer . What's the new footage app called?

any resolve settings you reccomed? 

Ive been noticing better colours and better shadow noise in Ae with acr, but these are early tests . So hopefully there is a way to improve this in resolve.

I'd like to try ACR. I only recently bought a 5D3 and went right into shooting a film with it. So I have only been using one method/settings for most of my footage, which comincides with the workflow from that WW2 reenactment video I posted earlier. I use the same method he used in that video. Just do a search of ML Raw Footage App and you should find it on the ML Forum. 

21 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks  kaylee, things are going well so far, just doing some camera tests now.

Yes I will make an effort to make some artistic projects with it!

You can check out some of my past work here.

www.chriscory.co.uk

very cool! i think youll love the look and flexibility of 5d3 raw

love this shot~! great design, love the lighting change

13 hours ago, mercer said:

possible that due to your internet connection, Vimeo is automatically choosing the 360p version

clearly. watch the 1080p version here https://vimeo.com/107738007

also, @Boygetslost, im pretty new to ml raw so i dont have much to offer – youve already discovered the difference in color from acr vs resolve, theres a certain kind of vibrancy that acr produces that i am yet to find in resolve and id like to match it... the shots still come out looking fantastic but id definitely like some more info on that. also im really familiar with acr from stills so thats super easy lol

just updated to resolve 14 and it seems to be working much better on my mac~! cooool

14 hours ago, mercer said:

Jon, I am not seeing any aliasing in the first video, where did you notice it? Yes, it definitely looks softer than Panasonic footage with a native Panny lens, but I wouldn't say it looks like 540p. Or maybe I find 540p footage looks better than GH5 footage... LOL.

Did you try watching the video directly from Vimeo? Because I did notice that the filmmaker only has two viewing options... 360p and 1080p, so it's possible that due to your internet connection, Vimeo is automatically choosing the 360p version.

Also ML Raw has ZERO in camera sharpening. In the description, the filmmaker states that he added sharpen at default in FCPX which I believe is 2.5, which really isn't much. But I think we've also established that you prefer ultra sharp footage, so the soft, I prefer organic, look just may not be your cup of tea.

In the second video, I believe the filmmaker did add some gorilla grain, which can add to the perception of sharpness. I don't know if I would say a lot of sharpening or excessive film grain, but that could be taste, so I will yield to your preferences.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't have included that video anyway, because he used the GH4 for the slow motion footage, so it wasn't a true representation of 5D3 with ML Raw.

Glenn, I'm not seeing the Vimeo name in the bottom right hand corner, so I can't open it up in Vimeo. The second video I can. Strange.

22 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks  kaylee, things are going well so far, just doing some camera tests now.

Yes I will make an effort to make some artistic projects with it!

You can check out some of my past work here.

www.chriscory.co.uk

Your work is the real deal, Chris. Just spent the past half hour watching a few of your videos, truly wonderful. 

11 hours ago, mercer said:

I'd like to try ACR. I only recently bought a 5D3 and went right into shooting a film with it. So I have only been using one method/settings for most of my footage, which comincides with the workflow from that WW2 reenactment video I posted earlier. I use the same method he used in that video. Just do a search of ML Raw Footage App and you should find it on the ML Forum. 

Thanks for that mercer, I download footage app, looks cool. I will have a mess around later.

7 hours ago, kaylee said:

very cool! i think youll love the look and flexibility of 5d3 raw

love this shot~! great design, love the lighting change

clearly. watch the 1080p version here https://vimeo.com/107738007

also, @Boygetslost, im pretty new to ml raw so i dont have much to offer – youve already discovered the difference in color from acr vs resolve, theres a certain kind of vibrancy that acr produces that i am yet to find in resolve and id like to match it... the shots still come out looking fantastic but id definitely like some more info on that. also im really familiar with acr from stills so thats super easy lol

just updated to resolve 14 and it seems to be working much better on my mac~! cooool

Thanks for the complements kaylee! :)

Resolve 14 is fast, like crazy fast! The render times have decreased noticeably and the UI performance, seems faster.

You say you are pretty comfortable with ACR. Whats your workflow?

Do you know of a way to preview a frame other then the first one?

I have been using ACR with AE and making a comp for each shot then rendering, is that fastest way?

And recommendations on avoiding flicker with the ACR controls? 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Your work is the real deal, Chris. Just spent the past half hour watching a few of your videos, truly wonderful. 

Thanks for the compliments jonpais, made me smile. Really happy you liked them.

I just finished a new film shot in Tokyo, all in Japanese, which I’m really happy with.

>>> 5Dmk3 Raw:

The good: Better colors and MUCH better grading latitude, better high ISO performance, better cinematic look (shallow DOF, film grain, etc.)

The con: magic lantern raw can be buggy (camera freezing), the raw workflow takes time, raw shooting eats up memory card very fast (few minutes on a 64GB), the 5Dmk3 image is not sharp (some will like it for its "cinematic" look).

>>> GH5:

The good: great IBIS, 4k60, slomo (VFR up to 180fps), lot of video features, small camera, fits on a small gimbal, extra sharp image (can be dialed down), reasonable bitrate (150 Mbps, 400 Mbps with the new firmware).

The con: colors not as good as the 5Dmk3, lower grading latitude even when shooting in 10 bits, smaller sensor thus lower high ISO quality and not as cinematic as full frame camera.