Well done RED for trying something different with Hydrogen - but will the modularity make sense?

Andrew Reid

17 hours ago, DPC said:

But have you seen how that iPhone was kitted out and the amount of people involved ?

Isn't that the whole point? Rig an Osmo & an app like Filmic Pro and  these latest-gen 4K phones can be used in a pro environment.. and open up new creative possibilities like the DSLR revolution did a decade ago..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Brilliant marketing idea. As a phone? No. As something in the video-photog toolbox? Nope

As the Ferrari of phone? YES! A bit like a Oakley sunglasses, the brand is the product. Need real sunglasses, get some Nikon at your optometrist. Then could there be a connexion between Oakley and RED, I wonder.

I'd have to really see the everyday holographic application of it. Because right now it seems closer to that Sharp 3D laptop that was a complete disaster.

4 hours ago, Django said:

Isn't that the whole point? Rig an Osmo & an app like Filmic Pro and  these latest-gen 4K phones can be used in a pro environment.. and open up new creative possibilities like the DSLR revolution did a decade ago..

Without interchangeable lenses, they have a low threshold on the amount of directed creative you can draw out of a smartphone. By directed creative I mean making conscious choices to fulfill your vision instead of shooting for authenticity or in the moment type captures.

5 hours ago, Django said:

Except that when you have rigged up the phone you loose all the advantages linked to its size. I mean, if I'm going to add a Beastgrip Pro + DOF adapter + a Canon DSLR lens, why not just use a "real" camera? 

On 7/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, DPC said:

Except that when you have rigged up the phone you loose all the advantages linked to its size. I mean, if I'm going to add a Beastgrip Pro + DOF adapter + a Canon DSLR lens, why not just use a "real" camera? 

..and when you rig up a DSLR/mirrorless with cage, handle, rods, matt box, monitor/recorder etc.. why not just use a "real" video cam? same argument.. 

1 hour ago, Django said:

..and when you rig up a DSLR/mirrorless with cage, handle, rods, matt box, monitor/recorder etc.. why not just use a "real" video cam? same argument.. 

Exactly, I've been wondering why people do that to DSLRs as well, let alone with an iPhone. We are granted such freedom with the digital revolution, why treat the work like Hollywood filmmakers do?

48 minutes ago, mercer said:

Exactly, I've been wondering why people do that to DSLRs as well, let alone with an iPhone. We are granted such freedom with the digital revolution, why treat the work like Hollywood filmmakers do?

DSLRs/Mirrorless are usually multi purpose cameras such as for: shooting stills for a wedding, run & gun shoulder mount, interview monopod, product commercial on slider, music video on gimbal, narrative work fully rigged up on sticks etc.. a DSLR/mirrorless can be great to cover all these scenarios while remaining affordable/portable.

Now smartphones as pro tools I'm not yet convinced. Gondry did it as a challenge and of course for the cash since Apple paid for it. The resulting film is quite mediocre on several levels imo. Personally, the only reason I'd use a phone instead of anything else would be because it's the only device I have on me or is allowed. The good old best camera is the one you've got on you adage..

I do see potential for wireless monitoring, remote triggering, possibly uncompressed recording etc

• Super Members

If smartphone film making does take over, I wonder how long it will be before people start posting about the iPhone 12S or whatever it'll be being a bit too clinical and adapting the lenses from iPhone 5s because its got more mojo 

Or hipsters going all Lomo with old Soviet mobile phones ;)

152662_original.jpg

On 14-7-2017 at 11:30 AM, kaylee said:

idk guys this looks like a serious competitor 

[..]

Well, on a real note tho... I was wondering if this was going to influence the Chinese market (there's tons of brands, aside from the more established ones like Xiaomi, Meizu, ZTE, etc, there's a more budget friendly popular scene with phones from the likes of Elephone, UMIDigi, Ulefone, Vernee, etc.) and it seems the first one has already popped up...

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/07/14/elephone-p8-3d-works-promises-unprecedented-3d-experience/

I think it's a play by RED to hedge against the eventual crash in the high end high priced pro camera market. In two years, every spec and ergonomic requirement for high end broadcast and cinema work will be had in a camera for 6000.00 USD or less from Sony, Canon, Panasonic and BMC. This is a race that considering RED has yet to master built in ND's, cannot win or even be competitive. A pivot to their "magic" phone is their last hand before the high end/high price camera market bubble bursts. If they can figure out how to make the glass unbreakable, they'll crush the phone market, with or without 3d or holograms.

On reflection, I can see exactly where this would be useful : when you know that a smartphone is the right tool for the job but it's hard to justify using exactly what your client and everyone else on the shoot has in their pocket. This way you can use a similar tool but differentiate yourself as a "pro" because it's Red and expensive.

The smartphone industry had about $420 billion in sales late year. If Red captures 1/1000th of that, it means $420,000,000 in sales. Jim is no idiot. With Samsung and Apple duking it out in the mid to high end of the market, there is still space at the very top for Red.

This could make Jim quite a bit richer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure I can go along with the idea that this is the future of small form factor cinema, and I have difficulty swallowing the assertion that the Hydrogen should outperform other mirrorless cameras and DSLRs. Maybe a good crash cam though! :)