Canon 5D Mark 3 imminent, along with new Rebel T4i / EOS 650D

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/5d-mark-iii.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/the-next-5d-on-february-2728-2012-cr3/"]Canon Rumors have confirmed some of the specs and the release date[/url] of the long awaited 5D Mark 3. The leak is given their highest CR3 rating.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/?p=7077/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Now that the D800 has been and gone and disappointed with low bitrate, moire and soft video, plus 36MP!?? (at least this is the perception from the very few pieces we can see that were shot with it), i'm really hoping the MkIII is the video DSLR of 2012.

The 22MP sensor is a good sign being the magic number for downscaling. It should also be significantly better in low light than the D800. Fingers crossed for 28th Feb. As much as I love the GH2 and am amazed by what it can do, I want a camera that can be taken seriously by clients, is in a professional form factor and can deliver both great stills and video. Surely shouldn't be much to ask being as we're now in 2012...

Just give me a headphone jack and I'll sign on the dotted line immediately. SD Card slot makes me so happy I won't have to buy a new cache of CF cards.

@arknox weirdly this stopped happening to me when I got the Zacuto EVF. Before that I would just pre-empt the question by being like "yes, I know what this looks like but you have to see what comes out of this thing."

[quote author=sandro link=topic=309.msg1944#msg1944 date=1329953498]
It's time! Will Canon be unique and give a gh2-like video or follow Sony and Nikon with crappy video?
[/quote]

Unfortunately I think Canon will follow suit with this trend of not stepping up the video quality. Remember they now have the C300 and later this year they will release a 4k cinema dslr.
I don't think the 5Dmk3 will be a big step in improvement video-wise. Maybe a little bit less moire/aliasing and jello, but that's it.
I really hope to be wrong, but I got a feeling we will all be disappointed...  :'(
Maybe Panasonic should release a super 35 chip camera too...  ::)

I worry too that Canon may do the bare minimum on the video side.  They have a history of being reluctant to cannibalize their higher end.  I recall Chuck Westfall saying that the original 5D did not need an update 2 years into it's life simply because there was no other full frame competitor.  Since Nikon and Sony haven't exactly raise the bar on video quality, there's little incentive to have a marginal update.  Please prove me wrong Canon.  Please!

It's time! Will Canon be unique and give a gh2-like video or follow Sony and Nikon with crappy video?
[/quote]

Video from the NEX 5n is far from crap. In fair honesty, the footage from that camera surpasses footage from Canon SLRs

[quote author=tungah link=topic=309.msg1945#msg1945 date=1329954407]
[/quote]

Unfortunately I think Canon will follow suit with this trend of not stepping up the video quality. Remember they now have the C300 and later this year they will release a 4k cinema dslr.
I don't think the 5Dmk3 will be a big step in improvement video-wise. Maybe a little bit less moire/aliasing and jello, but that's it.
I really hope to be wrong, but I got a feeling we will all be disappointed...  :'(
Maybe Panasonic should release a super 35 chip camera too...  ::)
[/quote]

You read my mind

[quote author=IsleOfRed link=topic=309.msg1950#msg1950 date=1329961411]
[/quote]

Video from the NEX 5n is far from crap. In fair honesty, the footage from that camera surpasses footage from Canon SLRs
[/quote]

It does for sure but it doesn't come close to the GH2, that's the problem. If Canon will give a NEX 5N like video (90%) I'm going to be disappointed (not that I didn't expect it). If only the GH2 had a larger sensor and be on par on the pictures side with Canon why would someone buy anything other than the GH2? :D

contax with the contax n did a big sensor digital slr camera lovely pictures at 100asa it failed.then kodak it failed.
canon took it up and ran and ran.
later they came out with the beast of video that changed some things.
nikon have always been behind making excuses..we do not believe full frame is important,we believe in the lab are smaller sensors are just as good blah,blah.
then when it started costing nikon  money and sales  they did a mad rush into full frame...the cameras turned out to be superb but again a knee jerk reaction..the same with mirrorless kicking and screaming bad rushed design and again with video.
i thought nikon today where at least 14 months behind canon and panasonic on the video side.
with the mark 3 from canon it will be 18 months and that includes the new nikon with uncompressed out which is stunner stills camera with d90 upgrade video.

canon will do just enough improvements too screw over nikon and the competition with very solid sales,not the revolution but enough too make a few red guys sweat.
nikon deserves nothing until show a real commitment,canon deserve a lot of praise for what they did and hopefully whats too come.

both nikon and canon control too much of the market,i wish fuji film and leica would step forward.

[quote author=arknox link=topic=309.msg1941#msg1941 date=1329947138]
As much as I love the GH2 and am amazed by what it can do, I want a camera that can be taken seriously by clients, is in a professional form factor and can deliver both great stills and video. Surely shouldn't be much to ask being as we're now in 2012...
[/quote]

Never understood this if video is important (stills are a different matter but a second shooter should handle stills - pro's rarely do both - Greg Williams being an exception)

A GH2 destroys the $4,000 Panasonic AF100 (and in many areas all Canon DSLRs currently available - we are talking video).  So if you can't communicate this to your client....something is wrong with your communication skills.  Heck BBC and NatGeo use GH2's constantly. 

Plus you need to rig a decent matte box, follow focus gear, large tripod, audio recording devices etc anyway.  All that gear "looks pro" and the cameras hide under all that stuff anyway (pic of Canon below).

Not picking on you - just wondering why people always say this.

If you REALLY care about looking "pro" you shouldn't consider DSLRs at all - the market (USA at least) is flooded with cameras and rental prices have plummeted in recent months.  Alexa, Red Epic Scarlets, Sony F35's can be rented for very little cash.                                                                           

Course "if" Canon DSLRs get clean HDMI out via a magic lantern hack in the next few weeks (possible) - the landscape changes yet again.