"Leica’s new TL2 is a much improved mirrorless camera"

Chris Oh

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The Q has a lovely look. In the end I took it back and stuck with the RX1 II though. Just wait till that thing starts doing 4K :)

The T is very nice but it is basically the guts of a Fuji X-T20 in a very very expensive aluminium unibody.

The original is still great if you want it just for stills, for £600 it is much much cheaper.

Ergonomics are very nice.

The AF lenses for it are VERY expensive but if you use manual focus stuff on it then tons adapts to the mount.

I'd be more tempted to go for the SL with manual glass than the TL2 with a couple of Leica AF primes for same price.

Except the viewfinder style from GX8, I find the add-on viewfinders much more comfortable to use. Also the idea of modular camera is more appealing to me. 

I was never impressed by Leica's low range offerings (<$3000 :) ) but the TL2 looks to be the first camera that has a proper touchscreen/menu implementation.  

Especially if you own plenty of M glass, this is a very nice solution. 

Not all screens are equal...

Sure - for me it's not the screen quality so much as the poor ergonomics of holding a camera out in front of my body and trying to twist a focus ring at the same time. I'm trying to improve my zone-focusing skills, but it's a long road..

• Super Members

Turns out the TL2 is much improved right up until the point you attach their Visoflex EVF at which point it, erm, breaks.

Sales suspended until they fix it and seems as big a failure in testing as Leica have had since they decided on Victoria Beckham as a good candidate for a bit of celebrity product placement.

leicafail.jpg

• Super Members

That picture is what, ten years old and with a Panasonic camera... :)

Any who, xpro2, xt2, x100f, a6300, a6500, BMCC, BMPC4K, BMPCC, NX1, D750, etc, etc are all cameras with some child deceased.

The BMCC was the most hated camera online. And we all know how that went.

In other words, calm down :)

The biggest fail this week is the Nikon D750 that are being called back, after what, 2 years of public testing...

• Super Members

I wasn't being entirely serious mate so I'll probably just hold firm at my current level of calm.

With regard to the D750, I'd love Nikon to recall all of their camera body variants for free shutter replacements just to be on the safe side as it would save me a load of money!

To paraphrase Alan Partridge about The Titanic enjoying 1000 miles of trouble free cruising before it hit the iceberg, at least the D750 owners have had a couple of years rather than a couple of days use out of it ;)

• Super Members

I wish all brands where like Blackmagic and Leica.
When there is a problem, get on it and get it done fast.

Firmware 1.1 fixes the EVF issue.
http://gmpphoto.blogspot.se/2017/07/leica-fixes-tl2-evf-issue-with-firmware.html

Its like when they gave out free IR Cut filters (expensive models as well) and have been replacing sensors for free on all M9 and M-Es. even for those that bought them used.
BMD fixed the white orbs and black hole in the BMPCC in what, less than two weeks.

Pansony, Canikon and Fuji could learns something here imo.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its like when they gave out free IR Cut filters (expensive models as well) and have been replacing sensors for free on all M9 and M-Es. even for those that bought them used.
BMD fixed the white orbs and black hole in the BMPCC in what, less than two weeks.

IIRC Blackmagic never fixed it for the original BMCC though. I remember having to after-effects out sunspots :-D

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

IIRC Blackmagic never fixed it for the original BMCC though. I remember having to after-effects out sunspots :-D

Yup, but it wasn't supposed not to have it, how weird that might sound.

Lots of cameras have it. Even some types of film.

On 2017-7-18 at 1:03 PM, Tim Sewell said:

Sure - for me it's not the screen quality so much as the poor ergonomics of holding a camera out in front of my body and trying to twist a focus ring at the same time.

Put an ebay arca grip or sugru on the front of the camera and more sugru on the back where your thumb fits. Problem fixed.

On 2017-7-10 at 6:09 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Read the spec sheet, saw all of the things it doesn't have, saw the price, know full well I have zero lenses for it.....

Still did this

d007f486b5c1da1fccf485f89c377139a12175226be3d6086795a6f3a8fa5b56.jpg

Did you read about Ming Thein's problems with Leica? I think 7 out of 8 copies of the same lens de-centred or with a malfunctioning iris? Have you seen the posts from Leica owners who have to wait months for simple repairs?

Honestly, so not a problem for me...

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I wish all brands where like Blackmagic and Leica.
When there is a problem, get on it and get it done fast.

Firmware 1.1 fixes the EVF issue.
http://gmpphoto.blogspot.se/2017/07/leica-fixes-tl2-evf-issue-with-firmware.html

I really hope they don't:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264856-leica-repair-wait-times/

https://petapixel.com/2016/04/11/30-years-photography-ive-never-service-experience-like/

..Initially I believed that perhaps my eyes entering their 4th decade were responsible for these missed shots, but it turns out these missed shots were due to a badly aligned focusing mechanism along with a lens that was also focus shifting.This was a service issue that required shipping the lens and camera back to Leica to calibrate for an additional $300 and a month away, out of my hands... when it came time for the Monochrom to be serviced, I’ve not been able to get it back within anything close to a reasonable amount of time. The Leica Monochrom camera has been undergoing service with Leica for literally six months now. Say that with me… six months… SIX MONTHS! It turns out the problem is due to a defective sensor cover glass, and it is not just me that is inconvenienced by this. I understand that this may be a difficulty for Leica that is not entirely their fault as they outsource production of sensors to another company. But what Leica absolutely owns about this is their relationship with the customer. This product was clearly defective and Leica’s solution is simply to keep people’s investments for half of a year or more. No offers were made to reimburse costs, or offer of a loaner camera until I raised hell 5 months into the process. Nor, to my knowledge, were any offers made to treat Leica’s customers with respect by offering refunds or exchanges for working models.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2014/05/06/qc-and-sample-variations/

My experience with hand-assembled cameras and lenses – namely, Leica – has been less than stellar. I’ve gone through six samples of the 50/1.4 ASPH; one was mechanically defective – it threw an aperture blade on day two – one was astigmatic; two were just soft – one I suspect had a slightly too-short intermediate helicoid, the other perhaps elements that skewed slightly in all directions; only the first and last were ‘good copies’ – i.e. elements were aligned, the mechanical bits didn’t break, and the lens generally performed to expectations and in line with the theoretical MTF chart**. The thing is, short of the broken aperture – if you didn’t handle more than one sample, you wouldn’t know that the one you have was defective. 

Leica quality control levels are waaaay below those of Panacanikony as evidenced by, say, Lensrentals.com reports. So overall no, I'm not impressed by Leica once sending some filters that they bought for a fraction of the store price.

And more importantly, Contax was always the cool 35mm rangefinder company...

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, meanwhile said:

Did you read about Ming Thein's problems with Leica? I think 7 out of 8 copies of the same lens de-centred or with a malfunctioning iris? Have you seen the posts from Leica owners who have to wait months for simple repairs?

Honestly, so not a problem for me...

It was a throwaway about irrational gear lust so my purse was never in serious danger of leaving my handbag.