I'll need to use very old graphic card for 2 months, did you had it?

Dan Wake

My GPU is broken. The problem is that I can not buy a new card because all the shops (amazon included) are out of stock of GPU (because it's summer and because bitcoin miners have bought a lot of them for theyr purpose).

So.... I need a GPU to power on my PC, but I need it also for making very basic video editing. I found this videocard preowned, it's extremly old. I wish to ask you if you have ever used it in the past with Premiere Pro please.

My PC specs are CPU 5820k, 32gb of RAM, SSD... but the GPU would be this vintage 256mb of vram stuff. Do you believe I could edit anything in full hd (canon 7D) with this GPU? Will Premiere use the CPU,RAM instead of the GPU? Or Premiere will die because of the vintage GPU?

the GPU is Nvidia 8600gts: http://www.nvidia.it/object/geforce_8600_it.html

I should use it until september (when GPU will return in stock).

thx!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That gpu is 2006 stuff. I think you will do better with the Intel HD of your processor than with that (it has one, right?). Graphic cards evolved a lot, and since Sandy Bridge the Intel HD performance surpassed older entry level cards and mid range stuff the older Intels couldn't even touch. Perhaps, i still can't say for sure if it's enough. I've already used premiere with an HD3000 and t3i 1080p. Can't say it was nice, but still works, and back them i was with an i3 and 4gb of ram, but with no color grading plugins. Your whole system is better than mine was. Way better. So it probably should be fine. But if you want to play with color, i suggest transcoding the h.264 files to some edit friendly codec and depending on which plugin you want to use, i still can't say for sure if it will be good.

24 minutes ago, Milton Lopes said:

That gpu is 2006 stuff. I think you will do better with the Intel HD of your processor than with that (it has one, right?). Graphic cards evolved a lot, and since Sandy Bridge the Intel HD performance surpassed older entry level cards and mid range stuff the older Intels couldn't even touch. Perhaps, i still can't say for sure if it's enough. I've already used premiere with an HD3000 and t3i 1080p. Can't say it was nice, but still works, and back them i was with an i3 and 4gb of ram, but with no color grading plugins. Your whole system is better than mine was. Way better. So it probably should be fine. But if you want to play with color, i suggest transcoding the h.264 files to some edit friendly codec and depending on which plugin you want to use, i still can't say for sure if it will be good.

thx for your reply! unfortunately my CPU have no intagrated GPU it's a X99 processor (5920K).

57 minutes ago, Milton Lopes said:

The Nvidia is still going to be far superior to internal graphics, the internal is only there to allow a user to access the bios and boot in an emergency. I used an 8800 gtx with Resolve without issue for hd footage.

I've been using old GPU until quite recently. I just got used to render using CPU. Yes you can use it, no problems (unless you're using Resolve, which needs a GPU).
If you need a cheap card for two months, I'd recommend getting something like a Nvidia 660 or 670 (less than $100) . They work quite well with premiere/resolve as they have a decent version of cuda. It should be good while you wait for your new gpu, plus you'll have a spare one if something goes wrong.