Advice about Olympus OM-D em1 II vs Panasonic etc. offers

anonim

Please if someone have a time to share opinion or give more elaborate advice: I have offer to buy new em1 mk2 for about 1200e, so is it worth better than panasonic g80, or save for gh5, exclusively for creative video documentary use? I've read that Andrew highly respect this camera, but there are not so much professional look like video clips around to judge, particularly not these done with good native or adapted manual lens (Voigtlander, Zeiss etc). Is there too much lose in image quality and usefulness comparative to, for example, sony a6500 or gh5? Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want 4k 60p go with the pana. Anything else the Olympus at that price is a steal. If you're talking about V-log just shoot Oly's flat profile and be mindful is 8bit and not so gradable, but colors overall are beautiful. If you plan to get the look in camera you have a great deal in your hands. The only thing missing is video backup to the second card but that's personal preference. I would take it if I got an offer like this.

@Ivanhurba

Thanks. Most of all I'm worrying about quality of all 1080p flavors. It seems that bitrate is low and comparative tests show too significant difference between 4k and all HD offers. I couldn't find any test with side-by-side results between em1 II and, say, g80/85. Not to say anything about lacking of clips with any lens but native olys. That's why i hesitate and why I ask for any appropriate clip from someone to help to make decision?

• Administrators

Don't worry about the codec on the E-M1 II, it's very good. Minor differences between that and the superior 10bit on the GH5.

And that price is very good indeed.

The flat profile can actually be graded quite a lot before it falls apart.

I should get my GH5 vs E-M1 II comparison shootout article and footage out, it's been a while and I haven't got round to it!

I picked up a em1 ii at a similar price thinking i would play with it for a few weeks then sell it out for a gh5. 

I have not compared directly to a gh5 (Andrews comparison mentioned above would be most welcome).

In all honesty i have been so impressed by both video and still quality that im reluctant to let it go without a good go on a gh5 first. The colours are leagues ahead of the gh4 and even the gx80 i would say. The flat profile (along with a gentle tiffen ultra con or black pro mist) contains reasonable dynamic range and seems to hold up well to pulling around.

Im going to film a short in a couple of weeks with the em1 ii and have not felt the need to try another cam for the job.

Maybe i need to meet up with a gh5 owner or rent one to be sure.. But i think ill be hanging on to the olympus for a while yet :)

6 hours ago, anonim said:

is it worth better than panasonic g80, or save for gh5, exclusively for creative video documentary use?

I love the feel and use of EM5II, so I'd willingly endorse Olympus cameras for doc filmmaking.  And if IBIS matters to you, you can't do better.

I currently own a GH5 and would switch back to Oly if I wasn't in the middle of a client gig that requires 4k 60p.

1200e new? You mean, like... €1200? It's a 1999,- camera body. Do let us know where we can get one that cheap, lol. I mean, out with the E-M1 and in with the E-M1 Mark II in that case. I was sure it was going to budge half a year after availability, truth is far from it: https://geizhals.eu/?phist=1510914 . Not seen any freebie battery grip deals or anything either.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I should get my GH5 vs E-M1 II comparison shootout article and footage out, it's been a while and I haven't got round to it!

Great, many thanks, I think it will be very very useful - didn't find anything similar from obviously competent experience, skills and taste.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

There is a used on with warranty in a store here for roughly $1600. Kinda tempting..

Get one, it's a much nicer body than the GH5 for stills and the video IBIS makes shooting easy, no lugging around heavy crap or extras, just shoot from the hip. It feels very much like a photography tool but the video mode is far better than it has any right to be, and lovely Olympus colours.

John Brawley would agree :)

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Thought I'd throw this one into the mix:

Again, if anyone spots nice pricing: sharing is caring. :grin:

Thanks for the video! Good to know I can wear sunglasses for the shoot on the GH5, video AF on E-M1 II is better than GH5, on the still tracking GH5 have higher success rate than E-M1 II?  But mattiew from mirrorlesson said BIF on GH5 is less successful than E-M1 II.

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2017 at 3:51 AM, Mattias Burling said:

There is a used on with warranty in a store here for roughly $1600. Kinda tempting..

I'm curious to see the E-M5 MK III - if they kept the video specs and the IBIS form the E-M1 MK II, with a lower price tag (I don't need very big fps for stills), would be a perfect option.

Unfortunately, no rumors about it yet.

• 2 months later...

Really interesting. Looks terrible on youtube. I am not sure we can judge anything from there, and not in 1080p. 1440p seems a bit better usually in my 1440p monitors. Panasonic "invading" Olympus space, I would like Olympus to do the same with video! I much prefer Olympus lenses than Pana ones though, I worked a bit with  the 12-60 Pana and the 12-100 Olympus and it was a completely different experience!