Sankor Anamorphic 16-D/Kowa Prominar Anamorphic 16-S/Eiki Anamorphic 16C

waytogoboy

Hello all this is my first post/comment. I've come into a Sankor 16-D, a Kowa Prominar 16-S and an Eiki 16C and I'm trying to get any and all information I can on how to get the most out of them. I'm shooting with a Panasonic GH2. I haven't picked up a prime lens to use with any of them as I'm not quite sure of the best one (or ones). I have picked up the Anamorphic Shooters Guide (2nd Edition) from EOSHD so I have some small idea. (I don't think any of these are actually listed in that guide though.)

Any advice would be helpful, which is lens is best, reliable and affordable adapters, best taking lenses, anything. I'm having trouble finding info on the internet but maybe there is a forum or guide that would be helpful somewhere I haven't looked.

Anyway, thanks and I'm looking forward to whatever help you all can offer.

ktrufant

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

what lens have you got now?

it doesnt have to be a prime, they'll work fine on a zoom,... if you dont zoom of course.

i would shoot with your current lens and figure out what you think you're missing, then go hunting,... cos i think i can speak for everyone when i say, the hunt never ends :P

it all depends on what look you're going for,...

i'm liking my contax zeisses at the moment,...

but i also like my russian optics ( lots written about them on this forum) like the helios, mir and jupiter. also nice and can be had cheap.

pentax asahi takumars are nice and cheap too.

seen some nice stuff on minoltas too,.. unfortuantely i sold mine before i got into anamorphics so could never try them out myself.

the russians and takumars are cheap enough that you can buy a whole bunch of each and play with them till you find what you're after. the contaxes are a bit pricier but pretty damn tasty.

but all have a slightly different look to them so it comes down to what you're after.

best resource for info?

this forum, end of. 

hi brucker, thanks for the reply!

I have a kit zoom lens for the GH2, Lumix G Vario 14-45mm (f/3.4-4.5).

Thanks for the advice on shooting with what I have and the lens recommendations. When/if I start looking at other lens, I'll have a look at those.

In the meantime, now I'm on the hunt for a clamp to get the lenses attached to each other ...

A good taking lens for the 2X squeeze anamorphics will be around 50mm.  The Helios 58mm is highly recommended, but just about any will work nicely.  As mentioned above, you're going to need a Redstan clamp (or a Vid-Atlantic) to mount it to the taking lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/redstan-anamorphic-lens-clamps-simply-superb-quality-kowa-sankor-amd-more-/181124755639?pt=UK_Movie_Cameras&hash=item2a2be070b7

http://vid-atlantic.com/anamorphic.html

Once you've assembled the equipment, I'd be glad to give you some tips on focusing.  It can be a chore at first...