Price range: Hawk 2x Anamorphics B-Series.

Tito Ferradans

I found an interesting set of Hawk lenses - 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 135mm - marked as T/2.2 (but actually darker than that). They have a 2x stretch, PL mount, and DEFINITELY need servicing.

The 35mm is a huge beast, the 50mm has the alignment loose, so if you twist it, things skew in the wrong direction, etc.

They're at a rental house and the owner told me they haven't been out for at least two years. They're all marked as "B-Series", which Google told me are "cheaper versions that Hawk made for the Indian cinema market", which we come to understand as "bollywood anamorphics".

source: last post on this page - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?25095/page4

I'm considering an offer to buy the whole set, as it doesn't have any fungus, haze or scratches, but I'm a bit worried about how much it's worth. Also, if I'm gonna be able to use them combined with a 5D3 (I'm seriously considering removing the mirrorbox).

Anyone got comments about these lenses? Has anyone seen something like it?

Are the any better/worse than OCT-19 LOMO roundfronts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

there is a post about B series here on Reduser

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?25095-Leica-Vantage-Cine-Lenses/page4

Andy, I had already mentioned this link! hahahaha :P

hey're at a rental house and the owner told me they haven't been out for at least two years. They're all marked as "B-Series", which Google told me are "cheaper versions that Hawk made for the Indian cinema market", which we come to understand as "bollywood anamorphics".

source: last post on this page - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?25095/page4

No problem in not covering the full frame sensor, I'll move to the Pocket BMC soon, and that will be covered for sure.

Anyone suggests a fair price for the set? I'm worried about offering too much or too low for it, since I never bought cine lenses before. :)

Prices are all relative & it sounds like you just need to haggle.

The thing with haggling is to start low & you already know that he basically wants rid of them (he can't hire them & they are in questionable condition).

There are 2 ways you could go about this (after you've found out how much it will cost to repair them):

1) Offer a stupid price, he laughs at you & you ask him how much he wants, you state that you really don't have that sort of cash & then offer more (but way below your max) - then the real haggling begins!

2) Ask him how much he wants for them & then state you don't have that much, but could offer him x amount - again the haggling begins!

Either the way you get him to reveal his hand first & not yours (never tell him how much you've got to spend!)

Remember, what he wants for them should never be the price that you pay - as all sellers want to get as much as possible & their dream price is always unrealistic.

Also, remember if he hasn't rented them out for 2 years & they are in a questionable state - some money is better than none.

Don't appear too keen or excited, as he'll sense your weakness & exploit it -  you can always walk away & come back another day.

If, say you get to your limit & he's still not budging, say you'll offer him cash (he doesn't have to declare that) & if he still isn't tempted, leave him your number & ask him to think about it.

Give it a go, they're Hawk Anamorphics! - they're probably the best opportunity you'll get to own something by this company & their vintage B Series won't be bad.  

i think you may have a disconnect here...

the original cost of those optics would of been a min of 15-22 thousand dollars each.

i would be very surprised if he would treat them like a set of lomo these are way beyond lomo.

for a joke i would offer him 3000 us for the set and see what his reaction will be.

if they have not been dropped in the sea they are treasure.

they are the older generation so sort after everyone including cooke and vantage hawk angenieux are all designing in flaws because the new lens are so horribly sterile.an early set of hawks are kind of posh lomo using russian design and fantastic solid german engineering.

value is in the set matched optics are becoming impossible to find because people sell stuff one by one.

selling quick they are worth over 10 thousand us selling slow much more.

like everything optical  they need to have some type of glass inside so you might want to check.in general air does not  give you a nice anamorphic image  :)

I'd agree with Tony and Bioskop inc on these.

If they went onto a more open market (say Reduser), they'd be going for $4-$6K each. Bad/old Lomos are going for that now... and these stand the chance of being a matched (or close matched) set (and should be better than Lomos you'll find now).

I'd say the set would easily reach $25K more likely $30K+.

Put in a low ball as Tony said - that'll start the ball rolling at least.

yeah Hawks are unobtanium for sure. I got into a talk with a director recently on set about anamorphics. Both shared our love for them and he even said he would shoot just on anamorphics if he could budget them for his movies. They are really really expensive lenses and I doubt I will ever get to use a hawk never mind owning one lol.