Focus Group Time 2 - Which Hardware Controller Interface Would You Prefer?

BTM_Pix

Controller Preference  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which One Do You Prefer?

• The Small One With The Hole Thing
    • The Bigger One With The Ridged Finger Grip Thing
    • Support Both Of Them You Lazy Arse
    • These Are Crap, I Want To Use That Big MIDI Controller With Knobs

• Super Members

As per the other thread, the functionality of the controller is now pretty far along and nearing completion so its time to finalise the actual input device itself.

The two options are shown here (with a GX80 to show scale).

How this will work is that a small module speaks to the camera over wifi to do the actual commands and it will receive its input from one of these devices, both of which are bluetooth.

And cheap.

They both have a combination of buttons and a joystick but the main difference between them is that the joystick on the larger one is analogue so can be used to progressively drive focus speed whereas the smaller one's joystick is a digital affair. This doesn't rule it out for progressive control just that it makes it a bit more work to fake it.

The other difference of course is the form factor.

The smaller one is quite neat having that hole in it as you can use it like I've done there with your thumb through it or, depending upon the width of it, mounted on a tripod pan handle.

The larger one benefits from having the indented grip so its six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

With both of them though, a bit of superglue and a thread adapter will have you being able to mount them on anything you want to.

Controller Choice.jpeg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 minutes ago, robbino said:

Although I would like the big one, I would also really like the full blown midi version (not an option for that in the poll :) ).  Looking forward to trying this out 

To be honest, there'll be a version for that too as its just a remap exercise.

Bit trickier in terms of getting one that has the right combination of switches, pots and faders and also that is a) readily available (these things drop on and off the market) b) a reasonable price and c) compact.

The target price for people to pay to source all the stuff is less than £40 and the bluetooth ones fit that perfectly.

The middle ground is an XBOX type controller that I've sourced which has nicer sticks (two of them) and might be more appropriate size wise with bigger cameras like GH5.

There won't be anything stopping people having both though so they can use the bluetooth ones for stealthier setups and the XBOX type one if they're using a rig etc.

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

To be honest, there'll be a version for that too as its just a remap exercise.

Bit trickier in terms of getting one that has the right combination of switches, pots and faders and also that is a) readily available (these things drop on and off the market) b) a reasonable price and c) compact.

That's great to hear.  I already have the same as you a Novation Launchcontrol (cheap, especially second hand) and Hercules DJ controller (great if I can map the focus to the jog wheel).

Thanks for your efforts on this :)