ND filter for Voigtlander 42.5 0.95

Aitor

Hi all,

I am new to videography (until now I had only focused on photography as an amateur) and I am in search of an nd filter for my amazing voigtlander 42.5 0.95. I am reading reviews on different websites but impossible to conclude anything. My main goal is to be able to shoot wide open in daylight (I live in Spain) at shutter speeds between 1/50 and 1/100 of a second. Some people say we shouldn´t buy a variable nd filter as it affects image much more than a normal nd filter. In case of not buying a variable nd filter, which nd filter would I need? How many stops? Can you recommend a variable nd filter below 100 euros that does not degrade image quality too much? Also, I remember hearing the amazing Brandon Li saying he did not use nd filters and would add motion blur in post... I don´t know if you have experience on that...

Thank you for your help and sorry for these amateur questions, I understand most of you are expert videographers and will find this of no interest.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, I have a Haida x64 (nd1.8) for this lens.  Not great, not bad.  It's not completely color-neutral, but it's also not obnoxious either.  Better than the greenish tints from Tiffen and not warm-ish like a B&W. (which I actually like)  FWIW, you're not going to get a budget ND that's color-neutral.

I've often debated about buying a serious pro-level set of 4x4 filters and a universal matte-box thingy so I can use the same set across my entire range of lenses, but that sort of rig just doesn't fit my shooting style.  The other option is to buy a set of 77mm filters and then just use a bunch of step-up rings for your various glass sizes.  Of course, doing this would then require a french flag for blocking sun glare...so trade-offs all around.

At one point I even though about buying a cool chinese mount adapter that loads small 52mm filters between the camera and behind the glass.  Maybe an option if you're invested in a specific set of lenses like eos/nikon/pentax/olympus/etc..  Not a terrible idea.

Variable ND's are convenient, but I'm just not a fan with the color shifts.

Regarding a 1.8 ND, I will say that on a sunny day x64 is not enough to allow wide open f.0.95 shooting @100 shutter speed.  You'd need something stronger by about 3 stops.

Good filters cost money. There have been quite a lot of threads on (v)ND filters, so it's not a bad idea to look back in EOSHD history. That said, I believe people really like the SLR Magic one. Otherwise, as people pointed out, get some non-variable/standard NDs in 77mm or 4x4. Breakthrough Photography are amongst the top in this area.

Or if you really want budget, but not your typical Mediamarkt Hama or eBay Fotga sub-par schtuff, have a look at Zomei. The thing is not to use resin material, but actual glass and some of their filters use imported Schott glass that's also used in high-end expensive options. Yet, at a fraction of the cost. They have some stores on AliExpress and eBay.

Aitor, Hoya Variable ND filters are good for the money. They have no hard stops and are a little bit fiddly at first but are good value. The cheapest place I've found to buy them is Fotoboom in Madrid. They can take a while ordering if not in stock. Fotocasion in Madrid is a bit more expensive but it has them in stock. The Hoyas work for me but I wouldn't buy anything cheaper.  In realty I'd like a Slr Magic one but I needed one immediately so I bought Hoya. 60-80euros.