What camera for stills? On a budget

sondreg

Because I'm moving more into a video camera system which would only do video I'd like to get something that would allow me to capture stills aswell.

Ideally I'd want an EF mount so I can use the same glass.

I have about a 1000 euro budget and want to get everything 2nd hand. Don't care too much about video quality but obviously more the merrier.

Currently eyeing a used Canon 7D mk 2, which I use at work sometimes, but then theres a used Canon 760D WITH the sigma 18-35 f1.8 for about the same price with a lens. What are my other alternatives? And how do the 2 compare, supposedly the 760d has more mpx and higher DR, also shoots to SD cards. 

I do portraits, travel/street, little to no sports, landscapes and wanna try to get into wildlife

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

If you're not married to having an OVF, you might want to look at the Sony A6300.

With a speedbooster adapter you can have FF FOV, even better low light performance and AF from your Canon lenses and with a regular adapter you can still have the AF and take advantage of the crop for extra reach for your wildlife. 

And if you have some ice packs around, you can also do a bit of 4K on it as well if you need to.

I think it will give you a far more versatile setup for your budget and IQ wise you won't be suffering for it either.

With the current price of the camera, you should be able to get all 3 pieces (the body and both adapters) for €1000 budget new.

Was never a big fan of the screens or ergonomics on the A6xxx series, maybe I should get used to it though. Not sure where the cheap prices come from though, as the cheapest camera body I find is 980€, 1700€ with adapters. Definately a strong camera but personally not a big fan of it

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, sondreg said:

Was never a big fan of the screens or ergonomics on the A6xxx series, maybe I should get used to it though. Not sure where the cheap prices come from though, as the cheapest camera body I find is 980€, 1700€ with adapters. Definately a strong camera but personally not a big fan of it

Sorry, had a senior moment there. Well a double one actually.

Sony are doing a £150 cash back deal which I took to the price I saw one in a store for (which had sneakily already had the discount applied!!). I was also using the not far off parity exchange rate but the pound seems to have made a slight comeback.

With the real cash back deal its £679 (not the £529 I had in my head!) which is about €750.

So, yes, apart from it being way more expensive than your budget and you hating the screen and ergonomics of it then it was a very sage recommendation ;)

8 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Go with this option, great combo. Do you already own canon glass?

I've sold every nikon lens I had (which weren't many) because I'm transitioning, so atm no I don't own any EF glass but plan on grabbing a 24-70 2.8, haven't looked too far into it yet.

Also have access to a 70-200 F4, canon 24-105 f4