Any bets on when sony a7s III might be released?

cojocaru27

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Sony rumour sites have got the a7iii down for November, with no real whispers of a a7r or A7s iii which they expect to be therefore next year. No one is reporting anything for this summer unless Sony have literally kept it so under wraps no one has a clue.

in my evil mind i thought there is a connection between panasonic releasing the 400mbs update and sony's a7s 3. What i mean is that panasonic holds the update as a response for sony's launch. Therefor the roughly announcement of the update coming from pana should coincide with the sony launch of a7s 3. But i think i am just paranoiac. :)

• Administrators

Sony have stopped all rumours and leaks quite successfully. There's no more farming out info to leaky external marketing companies, until the camera is announced by Sony themselves - then the review units and PR events invitations start going out.

Camera companies are slowing down the release cycle of their products. I would think the A7R 3 would come first, if it is a 2-year cycle it could be announced within months, but if it's been switched to 3 years it would not surprise me. However the current models have had a price drop, so maybe the replacements are imminent after all.

I hope they announce the a7R 3 and a7S 3 at the same time so we are not tempted to get an a7r and then regret it when the a7s comes along like the previous two times.

I also hope it has the electronic ND filter from the FS5 :)

Is there enough space in the E-Mount for ND and a mechanical shutter? We haven't seen both in one cam yet, only one or the other. And I don't think we're close to electronic shutter truly replacing physical shutter yet.

Would Sony even want to do eND anyways? There isn't enough space in the A7 (or even A9) body for an ND that flips out of the way, so you'd have to fix the ND in place. Even if they got the minimum setting down to one stop, that would still probably eat whatever gains they'll have made in ISO performance. Which is the whole selling point of the A7s series. Might not be something Sony marketing wants to risk as a potential selling point.

Personally I'd be much more interested in A7sII performance but with no or reasonable rolling shutter, better batteries, no overheating, brighter flip-out screen with good touch performance, better ergonomics and menus, and better AF.

3 hours ago, aldolega said:

Is there enough space in the E-Mount for ND and a mechanical shutter?...There isn't enough space in the A7 (or even A9) body for an ND that flips out of the way, so you'd have to fix the ND in place. Even if they got the minimum setting down to one stop, that would still probably eat whatever gains they'll have made in ISO performance...

Yes, there is no place to put it. Also the A7 series is full frame, requiring an even larger ND than the FS5. This also increases the manufacturing cost as surface area of an optical element increases as the square of the radius. As you stated it must drop out of the light path else you take an ISO hit. The FS5 has space for this but a small mirrorless camera does not. I would like to have built-in variable ND but I can't see mirrorless manufacturers doing that. There are lots of other improvements the A7S/R series could benefit from, as have been seen on the A6500 and A9.

They could make a factory-designed variable ND throttle adapter. That would avoid increasing the cost and complexity of the base camera but give us video people what we want.

• 2 months later...

I think an ND filter could fit if it slid on small rails.  Flipping out of the way would not work of course due to lack of space.  The viewfinder or the battery compartment might get in the way of sliding the ND filter so a redesign would be needed.  The ND filter could also incorporate the infrared filter too so by sliding the ND filter out of the way, infrared autofocus assist beams could work again which would be a huge benefit for me.

Internal ND filters on a mirrorless body - what are people smokin'???

The only game in town now is 10bit 4.2.2 internal codec. They can do this with an upgraded processor, add a couple more FN buttons and increase the customisation and menu structure like the GH5 then they will have done enough for a worthy upgrade IMO.

true, 10 bits 422 internal codec and maybe 10 bits 4k 60p would be amazing on a full frame sensor with less rolling shutter and same low light capability.

This would make the a7s mark3 almost the perfect indie camera. The big question is: when it will be release? when? if it's fall 2018 could be a little too late, just saying.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:16 PM, aldolega said:

Is there enough space in the E-Mount for ND and a mechanical shutter? We haven't seen both in one cam yet, only one or the other. And I don't think we're close to electronic shutter truly replacing physical shutter yet.

But who really needs a mechanical shutter in the a7S anyway??

The a7 and a7R series can keep their mechanical shutters!

But let the a7S series go purely electronic shutter only, so that they can gain a big leap forward over the competition Panasonic (Canon/Nikon are not even competition now) by implementing the variable ND feature from the FS5 into the a7S mk3!! :-o 

Yes, I'd rather have that ND built in than take the 10bit from the GH5 (but, each to their own).
It is the only way I can see the a7S mk3 realistically leap frogging in front of the GH5 (as I doubt the a7S mk3 will get 10bit).