DSLR / Mirrorless Camera

l1nkin

Hello guys,

I really could use some help here! Let me explain my "concern" :)

I own a 5D Mark II, and got some Canon lenses obivously (50mm 1.4 / 135mm 2.0 / 24-70mm 2.8). This camera is just old and as a video editor, I want/need a change. I'm going to travel to Japan in a few weeks (I wanna shoot as much as I can and make a video of my trip!), and I think it's an opportunity for me to switch gear, which brings me on to this :

Today i'm looking at new canon models, the new sony a9 and the other mirrorless camera they have. Obviously i took a peek at the gh5 / a9 / a7s2 / a6500 & the 1DX Mark II (with C-LOG!!) etc... I got Canon lenses from my 5D so it helps, but I was willing to sell everything i got to make a new fresh start. But the only camera i see that can records 4K video in 60 fps is from Canon, but size is bigger/heavier, but would be a help for some real photo shoot too. I would have gone for the 1DX2 if that sensor was stabilized because when I look at A9 shots handheld, it's just amazing how smooth it is. Having a full frame would be a bonus for me, I don't know if I could "skip" it for my next camera tho.

So yeah; I wanted some advices, from someone who's traveling or not, should i stick to canon and keep their awesome color science or should i consider a leap into Sony and then wait for a maybe a7s3 or A9s and "prey" for they 4K 60? Any sony lenses advices for video if so?

There is only the Japan planned yet, but that camera could be useful for my work itself though (tv / web / events...)

Hope I was clear enough,

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As the saying goes, "the best camera is the one that you have with you."  So, if you are traveling, you might consider a serious "large sensor" compact camera such as the Panasonic LX100.  Do you really want to tote around a camera and interchangeable lenses?

The LX100 is relatively inexpensive and yields nice 4k footage, and, most importantly, it sports a spectacular, fast Leica zoom. On the other hand, it only shoots HD in 60p, but how important is it to have 4K 60P footage of your vacation?

3 hours ago, l1nkin said:

There is only the Japan planned yet, but that camera could be useful for my work itself though (tv / web / events...)

Well, if your travels take you to India, the LX100 seems to work well there!:

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

So, what? Sony uses a 35mm FullFrame sensor but shoots slowmo with a crop. Get an "economy" speedbooster: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mitakon+lens+turbo&_blrs=spell_check and you're good to go with super 35mm look, awesome slowmo and 4K.

I never used a speedbooster, So as i can find online, if i understand correctly, If a lens intended for 35mm film or similarly-sized "full frame" camera sensors is connected to a camera with a Micro Four Thirds-sized sensor, it would project an image larger than the Micro Four Thirds sensor was built to accept.

My vacation is just the first step, then this camera will be used for work ! 

A speedbooster is basically a magnifying glass for your sensor, that bumps it up one size. So a m4/3 sensor becomes APS-C (aka s35), or APS-C becomes full-frame.

This is only possible with a mirrorless body (short flange distance) and SLR glass (long flange distance). The speedbooster fits in the gap in between.

The GH5 shoots 4K60 and has extremely good IBIS, better than the A9 you tried. And if you use it with a newer Panasonic OIS lens the two IS systems work in tandem and the stabilization becomes pretty incredible.

Photo IQ wise, the GH5 will come fairly close to your 5DII, just without that FF look. But If you add a Metabones "XL" Speedbooster, your crop factor would be around 1.3X, which is halfway between your 5D and the crop Canon bodies (7D, 80D, Rebels etc). The cheap speedboosters don't allow you to control the aperture on Canon EF lenses, while with the Metabones, you could, although AF will be mostly unusable in video, and slow (but usable) for stills.

The A9, 5D4, 1DXII all obviously have the FF look built-in, and are of course better photo cameras, as well they should be at 2-3X the cost of the GH5. None match the ergonomics and practicality of the GH5 for shooting video, though.

Actually, the 5D4 crops to about 1.7x when shooting 4K, so that doesn't even get you FF for video. The Canon MJPEG codec is also a lot heavier than I'd want for traveling, too.

Sony's lenses let you use their AF, obviously, but kinda suck for pulling focus manually, as they're fly-by-wire. They're also not much smaller/lighter than FF DSLR glass. If I was on vacation I wouldn't want to carry FF glass at all. I would want the GH5 with native glass.

20 hours ago, l1nkin said:

I never used a speedbooster, So as i can find online, if i understand correctly, If a lens intended for 35mm film or similarly-sized "full frame" camera sensors is connected to a camera with a Micro Four Thirds-sized sensor, it would project an image larger than the Micro Four Thirds sensor was built to accept.

My vacation is just the first step, then this camera will be used for work ! 

This video has all the answers for you :) + bonus video about sensor sizes.