No S-LOG but Toy Camera Picture Effect on the Sony A9

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@BTM_Pix

"Pro Sports Photographers Warned Of Banding Issues On Sony A9 When Using Posterization Picture Effect In Stadiums With LED Ad Boards"

C'mon BTM_Pix, "banding" is some kind of hater speak...In my eyes, this is a new kind of artistic effect invented by Sony - ES-SST (Electronic Shutter - Sony Striping Technology)...As it works only sporadically at the moment (and only when using ES) on the A9, Sony is working on a firmware upgrade to insure the functionality of this revolutionary striping effect in almost every lighting situation possible...So please consider, that's not a bug ("phenomenon" in manufaturer speak), but a feature...

Rumors say, they work on an app for their Sony MemoryApp Collection too, as many other users of A7X and A6X00 cameras want to get this famous "striping effect" too...This SST-App will cost 10 USD, but hey, it's cheap for such an useful feature...:grin:

11 minutes ago, cantsin said:

It bugs me that the word "banding" is wrongly used in forums everywhere. "Banding" doesn't refer to shutter artifacts, but to artifacts caused by a lack of color depth (such as: color stepping in blue sky gradients).

From now on, let's call it ES-SST. :) 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Grimor said:

Granada - Real Madrid

Indeed.

I'll be covering Granada against slightly smaller clubs next season after their relegation!

38 minutes ago, cantsin said:

It bugs me that the word "banding" is wrongly used in forums everywhere. "Banding" doesn't refer to shutter artifacts, but to artifacts caused by a lack of color depth (such as: color stepping in blue sky gradients).

I was using their description of it for continuity purposes but yes you are quite correct.

• Super Members
56 minutes ago, Grimor said:

All the season?

Great places/food/weather here in Spain.

No, I only did their games against Real, Barca and Atleti as there is always interest in coverage of the players from those clubs so I doubt games against Lorca and Corboda etc will be as sellable!

• Super Members
Just now, Andrew Reid said:

Enjoy the Spanish footy! What gear are you taking?

I'm still in this Fuji trialling period but the lack of 400mm 2.8 is a bit of a killer.

Their 100-400 is OK (some of those CL pictures of Ronaldo used it) and the AF is fine but the 5.6 cripples you even in an elite stadium like the Bernabeu.

I'm off to do the UEFA Women's Euros next week in Holland for a month and all of the matches are evening kick off which is a bit of a concern when none of them are even on UEFA's 4 star list. So, I'm still going to be doing a bit of a fudge using Nikon D4s for the longer stuff. The whole point of trying to switch was to get the crippling weight down (not to mention the cost savings and maintenance prices) but at the end of the day none of that matters if you can't actually get the images. 

So it will be a combination of X-T2 and X-T20 (for remote camera stuff mainly) with 10-24mm f4, 50-140 f2.8, 16-55mm f2.8, the 1.4TC and I probably will end up taking the 100-400mm f5.6 to shoot training sessions and crowd build up stuff.

From the Nikon side it will be a D4s with 400mm f2.8 and a D500 with 70-200mm f2.8 and the 1.4TC.

I'm going to be doing some press conference and training session coverage live to YouTube so I'll be taking the JVC LS-300 and the cheap Angenieux B4 lens I got off eBay! 

• Administrators

Good stuff.

I always thought the Olympus E-M1 II would make quite a nice compact telephoto choice for sports, with it's blazing speeds and nice 300mm F4 pro lens. Pair that with the 40-150mm F2.8 pro lens and it's quite versatile even in low light at ISO 6400. Wouldn't go much above that though.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good stuff.

I always thought the Olympus E-M1 II would make quite a nice compact telephoto choice for sports, with it's blazing speeds and nice 300mm F4 pro lens. Pair that with the 40-150mm F2.8 pro lens and it's quite versatile even in low light at ISO 6400. Wouldn't go much above that though.

Its a decent combination and value thats for sure. I don't know whether the subject separation on that 300mm with it being on an M43 would be ideal and its really hard to judge any long lens on M43 because flickr pools which are my normal gauge only ever have pictures of birds, planes or the moon for anything over 150mm on an M43 !

They also weren't on my radar because APS-C was the limit for me regarding low light but 6400 would generally be OK but you'd be surprised how poor the lighting is at some major stadiums. Its improved a lot in the UK since BT got the rights funnily enough and insisted on additional lighting. They obviously wanted to shoot on M43!

I've actually used M43 cameras as remotes behind the goal a few times (the OMD-10) but the battery life just couldn't hack the amount of exposures it was having to do.

My faith in Fuji being serious about getting into the game is dwindling unfortunately so I think its going to end up being a system I only use for covering stuff like cycling and boxing etc where you don't need the longer stuff.