Apple's latest keyboard is dreadful, don't buy it

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is good to see that I am not the only one thinking that Apple's both Magic Mouse and Keyboard are invitation to disaster in terms of ergonomics. I've recently purchased a 2017 iMac. Both wireless keyboard and magic trackpad 2 are still in the box, which I plan to sell them. If you are interested, send me a PM :)

Recently, while awaiting the iMac to arrive, I had to use an 2011 MacBook Pro 13". I couldn't believe how comfortable the keys were on that machine compared to my previous Retina MacBook Pro. It was as if I had typed on a flat surface for so long that I'd forgotten what it is like to type comfortably.

I've recently purchased a boxed Apple Wireless Keyboard from 2003 from Ebay. It is a temporary solution until I find a good mechanical keyboard.

Also, if you are using a USB keyboard or mouse, especially those with extra buttons and keys, make sure you check out USBOverdrive or similar applications to modify certain keys to your preferences. You can create custom profiles if you like. For example, when you are in Final Cut, you may choose to use certain macro keys to perform certain actions. You can create a dedicated editor keyboard :) 

I didn't like the new keyboard (have one at work) but after using it for a while, now when I use the older "fatter" keyboard at home it feels clunky. You'll get used to it ;)

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

How is the Magic Mouse 2? I just ordered one for my laptop yesterday.

It works like a treat, but the lighting port on the bottom is fucking annoying every time it runs out of battery. And it doesn't warn you of low battery until it has about 17 seconds of life left smh.

45 minutes ago, JBraddock said:

Also, if you are using a USB keyboard or mouse, especially those with extra buttons and keys, make sure you check out USBOverdrive or similar applications to modify certain keys to your preferences. You can create custom profiles if you like. For example, when you are in Final Cut, you may choose to use certain macro keys to perform certain actions. You can create a dedicated editor keyboard :) 

Just stumbled upon BetterTouchTool, which seems to work similarly. Lets you assign whole cascades of actions to single clicks, shortcuts, shortcut sequences or gestures. In other words, lets you fully customize FCP X. It's a beast already, now I can unleash it's real ferocity. Love it.

Prototype for Apple's 2018 keyboard.
Rumour is that the keys won't be fixed to an actual board, just strewn randomly at your work station where you pick them up and squeeze them to see if anything happens... anything at all. And if nothing happens, Apple expects you to mail a hand written complaint letter to the hospital in which you were born.

Nihilist_Keyboard.jpg.81d15e469b3340fcada5fc2c1ac8d731.jpg

I still use the wired aluminum Apple keyboard from a 2010-ish iMac - mostly because of the USB inputs (so I don't have to give my machine a reach around every time I want to plug in a thumb drive), the full width keypad with real arrow keys (I use them a lot), the typing feel and no batteries to futz around with. Pair it with the Magic Trackpad and its nirvana.

They can be found super cheap. I have a spare in case one craps out on me. Got one like this for $5 new in box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Wired-Keyboard-With-Numeric-Key-Pad-Compatible-With-Mac-OSX-v-10-6-8-/263065547648?hash=item3d3fedb380:g:d3cAAOSw9~5ZVyRN

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Small thing, but I thought I'd put out a warning to prevent £120 being flushed down the toilet :)

Why would someone need to flush $120 down the toilet after buying a new keyboard? 

I use a Corsair K95 Platinum, which I am pretty sure kicks the crap out of any keyboard Apple makes.

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I still use the wired aluminum Apple keyboard from a 2010-ish iMac - mostly because of the USB inputs (so I don't have to give my machine a reach around every time I want to plug in a thumb drive), the full width keypad with real arrow keys (I use them a lot), the typing feel and no batteries to futz around with. Pair it with the Magic Trackpad and its nirvana.

They can be found super cheap. I have a spare in case one craps out on me. Got one like this for $5 new in box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Wired-Keyboard-With-Numeric-Key-Pad-Compatible-With-Mac-OSX-v-10-6-8-/263065547648?hash=item3d3fedb380:g:d3cAAOSw9~5ZVyRN

If you get an actual USB 3 hub you'll practically 10x ur transfer speeds 

6 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

USB 1 or 2 at best though. Really slow.

1 hour ago, TwoScoops said:

USB 1 or 2 at best though. Really slow.

They're fine for transferring docs or music when you just want to plug something in quick. For the rest there are the rear ports, which are plenty fast on my 4ghz iMac retina.

Cheers

5 hours ago, sondreg said:

If you get an actual USB 3 hub you'll practically 10x ur transfer speeds 

I'm not using the keyboard to move large files, just for the convenience of a USB at my fingertips and a much better keyboard pared to the wireless one. I have enough fast ports on the back of my iMac retina.

• 2 years later...

I just destroyed the new "magic keyboard" after many of the keys required hard mashing to make them work.  Just like the MacBooks, dust disables this keyboard.  So add that to the terrible feel and poor ergonomics, I just lost it, took it outside, and smashed it on a sidewalk.  Felt soooo good.  Had an older model that I'm using now.  So much better and the batteries are replaceable. Tim Cook's apple has convinced me to go PC and Android phone in the future.  This is after 30 years of using overpriced, poorly designed hardware and buggy software on all of their devices.  If it's not going to work, at least paying less helps.