Gear list

64mulford

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Use zoom lenses - your clients won't be able to tell the difference

If photos are a big chunk of the job, I say yes to that.  I made a living for a while with the trusty Canon 24-70 f2.8 and a 5D.  Flexible and easy.

For my video productions, I prefer to stick to 1 prime as much as possible.  I do like my stuff to look different.  I also employ 360 shutter.  Not many shooters do that.  I'm sure a lot of pixel peeping folks would check out my work and find unforgivable issues with it.  That's okay. 

Anyway, as such, take any of my advice with a grain of salt.  What I like to do is probably a bit atypical.  

19 hours ago, maxotics said:

I'm of the opinion that 1 focal length is not only perfectly adequate for certain docs, it can be preferred

For certain docs, sure. As a general rule though, and for someone who's going to be making a lot of different types of content, I wouldn't suggest this is the best way to go...

20 hours ago, maxotics said:

2. Parfocal zoom lens for when you shoot video (forget primes)

What is the reason why parfocal lenses are important? Because you zoom during a shot, because you zoom in to nail focus, or because parfocal zooms are of better quality?

I'm only asking because I never zoom during my clips, which seems like the main advantage of parfocal lenses.

45 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

What is the reason why parfocal lenses are important? Because you zoom during a shot, because you zoom in to nail focus, or because parfocal zooms are of better quality?

I'm only asking because I never zoom during my clips, which seems like the main advantage of parfocal lenses.

Yeah. It's easy to zoom in, set focus, then pull back to your shot. 

Takes less than a second. 

2 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Also, if you pull focus, the focal length does not change. With non-parafocal lenses, if you change the focus point during the shot, the lens would zoom in or out slightly.

I sure hope not. When did lenses start to get self-zooming? Focus breathing might be a thing, but that's the same with primes that don't change focal length at all and has got little to do with a lens being parfocal or not. Or you might have switched 'focus' and 'zoom' around, in that case, well, yeah, obviously.

6 hours ago, jax_rox said:

...making a lot of different types of content, I wouldn't suggest this is the best way to go...

Of course not.  You're completely right. 

My comment is my opinion.  As mentioned, there's probably not much chance that those chasing great IQ and the most flexible shooting possibilities would look at my work and style as an example of "the best" in any way, shape or form.  I'm not that sort of filmmaker and that's okay. 

Point is, all this stuff is wildly subjective.  No one knows if the OP is going to develop their own visual style or not  --of if they're going to embrace a certain lens or camera.  Personally, my bag(s) used to be overloaded with lenses and various cameras and, weirdly, it all just got in the way of shooting for me.  Kinda decided not to care a ton about that eventually.  These days a more organic "sloppy" style is my preference, for better or worse.  Does my stuff have manual focusing going on and a human twisting the lens hunting for sharpness?  Oh yeah...like that too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pu9i85hbszuhrb/NISA-INSTAGRAM.mp4?dl=0

That's an example of a test promo done yesterday for quick hit social media; shot on the GH5 with Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5mm primes.  Check out what a 360 degree shutter does to mush up the image.  There was also variable ND filters on the glass which adds all sorts of welcomed, IMHO, issues to the image.

Is what's going on there appropriate for the OP needs?  Probably not, but sharing my process offers context.  It shows what some other random guy in the community is doing.  OP can take it or leave it.  

BTW, the color for that vid above is done with Magic Bullet Looks.  Does anyone here still use MB Looks?

23 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Of course not.  You're completely right. 

My comment is my opinion.  As mentioned, there's probably not much chance that those chasing great IQ and the most flexible shooting possibilities would look at my work and style as an example of "the best" in any way, shape or form.  I'm not that sort of filmmaker and that's okay. 

Point is, all this stuff is wildly subjective.  No one knows if the OP is going to develop their own visual style or not  --of if they're going to embrace a certain lens or camera.  Personally, my bag(s) used to be overloaded with lenses and various cameras and, weirdly, it all just got in the way of shooting for me.  Kinda decided not to care a ton about that eventually.  These days a more organic "sloppy" style is my preference, for better or worse.  Does my stuff have manual focusing going on and a human twisting the lens hunting for sharpness?  Oh yeah...like that too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pu9i85hbszuhrb/NISA-INSTAGRAM.mp4?dl=0

There's a quick example of a test promo edit done yesterday for some quick hit social media; shot on the GH5 with Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5mm primes.  Check out what a 360 degree shutter does to mush up the image.  There was also variable ND filters on the glass which adds all sorts of welcomed, IMHO, issues to the image.

Is what's going on there appropriate for the OP needs?  Probably not, but sharing my process offers context.  It shows what some other random guy in the community is doing.  OP can take it or leave it.  

BTW, the color for that vid above is done with Magic Bullet Looks.  Does anyone here still use MB Looks?

Although I don’t necessarily agree that the OP should follow this route for the task at hand, there was nothing I disliked in your video. Really nice GH5 footage! Nice color, some of the most natural, yet untypical Panny color that floats around the Internet with GH5 videos. What profile do you shoot with?

Which lens did you shoot that with?

49 minutes ago, mercer said:

Although I don’t necessarily agree that the OP should follow this route for the task at hand, there was nothing I disliked in your video. Really nice GH5 footage! Nice color, some of the most natural, yet untypical Panny color that floats around the Internet with GH5 videos. What profile do you shoot with?

Which lens did you shoot that with?

GH5 with Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5mm primes.  For this job:  f-stop almost always @f1.4.  The fps is 23.98.  The shutter speed is 25.  CinelikeD 0,-5,-5,0,0 is the profile.  And don't forget there's a low-quality variable ND filter in the mix too.  --Afterwards color is tweaked in post with Magic Bullet Looks.  It's their Kodak 520-7 filmstock setting with some of their B&W film grain added.  

And then, with Premiere, Lumetri is then used so the colors in the blacks and whites are desaturated with a roll off.

So, yeah, it's a certain sort of weird recipe for the end result.

36 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

GH5 with Voigtlander 25mm and 42.5mm primes.  For this job:  f-stop almost always @f1.4.  The fps is 23.98.  The shutter speed is 25.  CinelikeD 0,-5,-5,0,0 is the profile.  And don't forget there's a low-quality variable ND filter in the mix too.  --Afterwards color is tweaked in post with Magic Bullet Looks.  It's their Kodak 520-7 filmstock setting with some of their B&W film grain added.  

And then, with Premiere, Lumetri is then used so the colors in the blacks and whites are desaturated with a roll off.

So, yeah, it's a certain sort of weird recipe for the end result.

Sorry you did mention the Voigtlander lenses earlier... I just had a brain fart moment. I like what you did with the blacks and whites. I started doing something similar in FCPX using one of their filter effects where I adjust the highs and lows at the end to help with roll off... it’s basically a tint effect that helps to soften the image just enough IMO.

Nice job!

I do not understand the prime vs zoom debate. A couple of weeks ago I worked with a bag full of Zeiss primes, these days I am first assistant on a feature documentary with an Arri Alura 18-80 (the director wanted to do so zoom in and outs). The camera in both cases is C300mkII, I doubt anyone would ever thing that the primes are better than the zoom.

As I said, a C200 and the cheap Canon CN-E 18-80 is a combo that can go a long long way (I am expecting Canon to offer a better 10bit codec sometime in the near future). Add a Tokina 11-XXmm and/or a 135mm something (or the 70-200 CN-E if you got the dough) and you got a full range for most jobs. This is a workhorse combo, not a purist's approach, but even a purist can be benefited by dual pixel AF and electronic stabilizers and features.

(saying these, while I have at least a few dozen lenses, mostly primes, from different mounts around the house!)

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

...do not understand the prime vs zoom debate...I doubt anyone would ever thing that the primes are better than the zoom.

For me, it's not a debate about what sort of lens offers better IQ.  Rather, it's that 1 or 2 focal lengths for an entire production offers a sense of visual cohesiveness.  The limitation of focal length, and shooting a manual lens, is ultimately an asset.  It's just a notion I currently have and it's where I'm at personally with how I shoot my stuff. 

If you are a solo shooter and not doing fiction work, honestly, get a camera with video autofocus, like a canon c300 or c100 mk2/c200/Canon XC10, or a sony  a7r2.

Some people will make fun of you or won t understand, but at the end of the day you will get a lot more usable shoots and a lot less stress.( and if you plan to use a gimbals, it is very helpful)

Get a small B-camera, and good quality batteries ( I fried a camera on the first 10 second of a paid job once, I wish I had a B cam that day) like a Canon XC10 /a6500

Also try to stay as compact as possible, just buy what you need, and fast zoom are a good idea, like the sigmas, you will never have enough light, and time so you want flexibility over fancy equipment.

Lightweight equipement is a bit more expensive, but totally worth it if you are a solo shooter, you can get compact rigs/sliders from edelkrone for example .

I went all fancy with a blackmagic 4.6k and vintage/modern cine glass, but today I almost exclusively shoot with a a7r2 and two photo primes, because of the auto focus and the compactness.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:31 PM, fuzzynormal said:

The shutter speed is 25.  CinelikeD 0,-5,-5,0,0 is the profile.  And don't forget there's a low-quality variable ND filter in the mix too. 

Fuzzy, when shooting 25 fps and 1/25 shutter speed,  is this a 360 degree? Or 0 degree? Just a dumb question.

13 hours ago, Grimor said:

Fuzzy, when shooting 25 fps and 1/25 shutter speed,  is this a 360 degree? Or 0 degree? Just a dumb question.

360.  I used to assume it was 0 too.  Got "gently" told online that was untrue. ;-)  Still, makes chronological sense that it kinda should be 0, doesn't it?  

Anyway, don't use 360 'less you really like it.  The look is very distinct.