GH5 or pocket cinema

Sylvain L'Espérance

Will the GH5 that gives us 10 bits 4:2:2 gives us the same cinema quality that the Black magic pocket.
I prefer the ergonomy of the gh5 + the sound possibility + the camera ois and many more. 
But I don't really care about 4k and i feel to much precision is killing the mystery of images.

If i shoot  HD with the GH5 am i working against the machine?

To resume my question: If  I like much better the natural quality of the images the  Black magic pocket cinema gives me, can I approach this natural quality with the GH5? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want natural/unprocessed/organic look of images and deep colors, go for the BM Pocket at all means. The GH5, despite its many virtues (especially as a high-quality, compact, ready-to-shoot camera with optical sensor stabilization, good internal sound recording and no need to always have IR cut filters in front of the lens), has a much more processed image. 

But you can best judge this by yourself by comparing videos on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagicpocketcinema/videos

https://vimeo.com/groups/389055/

Honestly, this seems like an instance where it'd be really handy if you could rent/borrow each for a few days and test yourself.

The GH5 is way better in about every way when it comes to versatility, ergonomics, shooting options etc.. like, way better.

So the question is whether the pocket image is enticing enough to pull you away from those advantages. I have the pocket and GH4, and generally prefer the pocket image, but the GH4 is way more handy for a larger variety of work.

Your lens choices will go a long way to making a natural image.

I love my bmpcc... Great image.... but the more boring things like screen, battery, handling etc make it a way worse option for practical shooting. HFR, AF, Ibis all check more boxes for the gh5 too.

I'd go along with what others here who have used both the GH5 and the BMPC have to say - image quality doesn't exist in a vacuum - and if it's a pain in the arse to use, I'd go with the camera with better ergos, battery life and on and on. But do you really need the GH5? I'd have a look at the G85 first.

@jonpais

image quality doesn't exist in a vacuum - and if it's a pain in the arse to use, I'd go with the camera with better ergos, battery life and on and on.

Well said...before enjoying a great IQ, one has to shoot and do some post first. Many people simply forget to consider some practical, daily usage aspects when using cameras. Noone shoots with a spec sheet.

I have a GH5 and love it. The BM cameras have a lovely image but if I were shooting something "cinematic" I'd probably still pick the GH5 because of its usability.

I completely agree with you that the precision of cameras and lenses is killing the magic of images. However, with good lighting and filters you can create fantastic images. I stumbled across this today on a colour grading Facebook page. Really impressed with the look. Shot in VLOG, graded in Davinci, Sigma zooms:

Question for anyone interested... currently still shooting on a d5300, but life has changed and I'm looking to upgrade this year. I only own 1 noteworthy lens for this camera, a tamron 17-50 2.8. Here is the catch..id ideally like to be under $1000, under 600-800, maybe even 4-500 and would obviously be considering used. 

Wants:

-Good slowmo 120p but will do with 60p

-4K capable 

- flat profile of some sort. I get decent results out of properly exposed flaat on my Nikon but again built in would be nice.

Not Deal Breakers but would be nice:

-ibis

- AF

final thoughts: I realize in my price range I'm probably looking at either used/new: a63/6500, g7, g85, bmmcc, bmpcc, possibly a used Olympus (already have an excellent Zuiko 50mm 1.8 from an OM2N). I also realize I could compromise and get a camera w/o IBIS and get a nice gimbal. 

What cameras besides those listed above should I be looking at in my relative price range? Fuji? Olympus? Panasonic/Sony? I want to upgrade in terms of usability. I love the Nikon image and may post some stills from a vacation/travel/family video im doing now but the advancements in the past few years could really help a hobby filmmaker like me focus more on the fun parts like story/editing/grading. For my purposes Sony/Panasonic seem to be leading based on price/specs but I know specs/YouTube videos don't always tell the story so if anyone can guide me or offer some opinions hit me up!

I have both GX85 and BMPCC since slightly more than a month, so no so extensive experience and still studying how to use them at best. I opted for both as useful for shooting multicam on low budget (BMPCC is today a second hand bargain). I use to work out 1080 as to me is best balance today for quality & handling. 

I must say with cinelog D the GX85 is much better now, I always shoot 4K and the quality is really high and the camera with IBIS and VF is a pleasure to use. On the other hand BMPCC feels much more consistent as video camera, easier to set and operate and the IQ, even if not detailed as GX85 4K is more organic and cinematic, it has something that impress and capture watching the screen. The real plus is the raw capture: it opens up to whatever change/mod in postpro.

Both need external recording solution for audio. If I'd have to keep one? I think today it would be BMPCC, but if you think to work in 4K and need for still photos, GX85 is a bargain and you'll not be disappointed. And in the future if you'll buy GH5 it will compliment it very well as B cam.