Swapping the FS5 for a........ GH5?

Oliver Daniel

3 hours ago, sondreg said:

How would you go about lenses? I'm looking into grabbing a GH5 myself starting from scratch but not sure if grabbing a speedbooster's worth it...

Depend if u want AF for stills and if you are concerned with convenience/weather proofing/size/weight, if not speedbooster with sigma lens is the killer, if yes just go native, I am going native lens and adapter only since 1..I have access to EF lens so I dont have to buy them, and 2. I do care about the weight/size etc for my own use.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, Fritz Pierre said:

@Jonesy Jones's camera options seems perfect to me...looked at the EV1 first, but for lenses I've collected the EF mount is dead....love the GH5...first IBIS camera I owned...seems unreal, that before one shot without it...the UMP is also an attractive option down the road...beautiful image...cuts well with the GH5 and flexible mounts at a very reasonable price....for small and nimble though, the GH5 IMO is just rock solid...and it does not produce moire and rolling shutter is excellent...very happy with mine...and as you shoot professionally, it's a very good choice...the ways you can customize it to suit your style/needs (something rarely mentioned but very pertinent) is amazing....lastly...I would use this alongside a Varicam without any hesitation to get difficult shots.

Curious to me that you're not interested in EVA1. That camera has the potential to be a massive game changer. I mean, until we see images from the cam we can't make any conclusions. But on paper there is virtually no weakness to this camera with perhaps the best colorimetry available if it inherits Varicam's.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Curious to me that you're not interested in EVA1. That camera has the potential to be a massive game changer. I mean, until we see images from the cam we can't make any conclusions. But on paper there is virtually no weakness to this camera with perhaps the best colorimetry available if it inherits Varicam's.

I was interested in the EVA1...but before the EVA1, my interest was in the Varicam LT...and actually still is...when Panny announced the EVA1 at that price point I was interested...at the "under" 8000....probably 7999... could have just bought the camera....the Varicam would be for very specific project...not a camera I would have bought for myself...but most of my glass is in Nikon mount...not EF....I would have had to spend over a $1000 on Leitax camera mount adapters to EF...I also do not like the mount itself on the EVA...would have liked a proper locking mount at that price....and then adapters to use my glass on my GH5...so I dropped the idea...The UMP has a flexible mount system though, produces a lovely image and the EVF is a great price...anyway....that's my reasoning for not choosing the EVA1...I have a large collection of legacy glass....and the UMP cuts well with the GH5....for now I'm very happy with what I have...bit at @AaronChicago did a comparison between the UM 4.6 K and GH5 and I think the image out of the UM is lovely.

Isn't it the other way around? That you need to swap mounts on a lens or use adapters with glass when going from Canon mount lens to Nikon mount camera... but not from Nikon to Canon EF (a simple dummy adapter should do)? That's also the reason you can simply adapt like Contax Zeiss to a Canon mount camera (or Speedbooster taking mount for that matter), but not to a Nikon. If you don't want to work with adapters, that's a different thing altogether of course.

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Isn't it the other way around? That you need to swap mounts on a lens or use adapters with glass when going from Canon mount lens to Nikon mount camera... but not from Nikon to Canon EF (a simple dummy adapter should do)? That's also the reason you can simply adapt like Contax Zeiss to a Canon mount camera (or Speedbooster taking mount for that matter), but not to a Nikon. If you don't want to work with adapters, that's a different thing altogether of course.

You're right...and the Leitax mount adapter mounts directly onto the Nikon mount to adapt to EF...secured with screws...a professional mount sollution ....my concern is that the Nikon to EF to adapters are very thin....and my Nikon Glass or Sigma or Tokinas are heavy....bottom line....that would have been my sollution...your choices may differ...I did not want to buy the camera with an EF mount as the only option...my 80-200 2.8 weighs around 3lbs as an example...I also did not like the EF mount without a PL type locking ring on an $8000 camera....one of the things I like best about the Kinefinity cameras is they give you a professional shimmable mount....It was the customer service support on that camera that scared me off.

PS...my long term investment lies in lenses not cameras...the camera just has to work the way I need it to....otherwise someone else gets my money....lol...I'm probably the person on this forum who cares the least about the cameras themselves!

Oliver Daniel i truly understand you... i know what you're meaning with the FS5. 5DIII Raw files are way too heavy for me and difficult to manage on some big movies. Good to shoot sometimes with but not a camera i like to carry with me now since i got my A7SII.

Here is a great camera... A7SII. With a powerbank and a good lightmeter with you this camera makes such fantastic things. 8 bits ok... we all know this... What i like is the Slog and its great latitude in contrasty situations and its 24x36mm size... Big shots with this cam. And the slomos are great when light is enough. Great 120 fps even with a 2X coefficient. A 16-35 2.8 does the job well for me with this 2x high fps mode.

What we can expect from an A7SIII will disappoint us i think... i think this won't be 10 bits... And a 10 bits hdmi output will disappoint me also as what i like from this camera is shooting ultra light, gimbal or zacuto shoulder rig and that's all... I've shot with 7" screens on the rig etc etc and i really don't like it... Too much equipment ruins creativity... Personal point of view of course.

The GH5 looks great to my eyes too... And this little beast has made some charms to me... I used to shoot with a GH2 and have been blown away with its inner qualities. The GH5 has a v-log mode and high frame rates... tempting features.

But, micro 4 thirds with native electronic lenses i don't like it, and metabones adapter with EF or other mounts that's what i used on the GH2 and sometimes had problems...

Why don't you use that fantastic A7SII ? have it from its exit right now and still have no problems with a cheap commlite adapter, damped with black cloth inside it...

My advice in your case would be stay with an A7SII till an A9S comes out !!!!! ;-)   As you know the tool is secondary and that A7SII ticks a lot of what i need to make it my A-cam on most of my projects. Why would i need to upgrade or change this lil baby ?!!!!!!

My A-cam for little projects like this :

Trailer for a drama company.

My 0.02 euros. :-)

Completed a shoot today with the FS5, Inferno and A6500. 

The client loved the FS5 - the slo-no and the HDR screen. I could tell it's presence made them feel confident. 

I shot most of it on the A6500 though on the Zhiyun Crane. The autofocus really is invaluable. I hope the A7SIII gets this level of AF performance. 

Convinced the GH5 BTS shooter to shoot some 4K 10 bit b-roll for me. 

So.... very much undecided on this camera change until I actually borrow the GH5 for a full shoot. 

The FS5 and A6500 combo blitzed it though today, can't ignore that. 

10 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The client loved the FS5 - the slo-no and the HDR screen. I could tell it's presence made them feel confident.

This is a sad reality when working for some clients. You could rig up a small camera to look all big and pro, but you are back to square one again, in terms of mobility.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

You could rig up a small camera to look all big and pro, but you are back to square one again, in terms of mobility.

That is so correct, sigh.

12 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The FS5 and A6500 combo blitzed it though today, can't ignore that. 

Lol, each camera has its purpose. FS5 for client confidence a6500 for the rest. Maybe you are suffering GAS :grin: 

I have largely kept out of this one. But as I patiently wait for the Canon C200 my thoughts have also turned to the GH5. With the pending 400Mbps codec and 10bit, this camera looks to offer compelling features for a nice low price. I could easily snag two of these little beast and some lenses for the same money. But perhaps even more compelling is the mobility that the GH5 affords when striped down. 
Even my 1DXMkII becomes heavy in normal use. Granted it is worth the weight for stills, and I love the images I get from it. But for video I have to wonder if the GH5 is not the better of the two. 10bit makes a real difference. One that is apparent after editing some V-Log footage from the GH5. Those file can be pushed further than my 1DXMkII files. And we are talking less than a third the size. I am impressed with this camera. Also it would seem the GH5 represents the easiest path to anamorphic filming. Granted, most of the lenses I have seen that are "cough" affordable, look like garbage. I will give you that the Orion Series by Atlas looks pretty nice, but at $18k for the set... let's just say it's doable, but not without some thought. I guess the point is, I can see real benefits to the GH5. Frankly, save for lowlight performance, Panasonic have in many ways surpassed the competition. If Panasonic can get their act together with better AF (maybe int the new firmware?) they will be unstoppable. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I have largely kept out of this one. But as I patiently wait for the Canon C200 my thoughts have also turned to the GH5. With the pending 400Mbps codec and 10bit, this camera looks to offer compelling features for a nice low price. I could easily snag two of these little beast and some lenses for the same money. But perhaps even more compelling is the mobility that the GH5 affords when striped down. 
Even my 1DXMkII becomes heavy in normal use. Granted it is worth the weight for stills, and I love the images I get from it. But for video I have to wonder if the GH5 is not the better of the two. 10bit makes a real difference. One that is apparent after editing some V-Log footage from the GH5. Those file can be pushed further than my 1DXMkII files. And we are talking less than a third the size. I am impressed with this camera. Also it would seem the GH5 represents the easiest path to anamorphic filming. Granted, most of the lenses I have seen that are "cough" affordable, look like garbage. I will give you that the Orion Series by Atlas looks pretty nice, but at $18k for the set... let's just say it's doable, but not without some thought. I guess the point is, I can see real benefits to the GH5. Frankly, save for lowlight performance, Panasonic have in many ways surpassed the competition. If Panasonic can get their act together with better AF (maybe int the new firmware?) they will be unstoppable. 

@DBounceThe IBIS on this camera is an incredible plus...if you have a camera strap around your neck, for some resistance and a quick release, you have a "rig"...you can do a panning shot or even a small slider shot, that looks locked off...period...the speed with which you can shots with this camera, that would otherwise require 30 min to an hour setup cannot be stated enough...as you shoot professionally, this will be hugely relevant to you...you see an interesting cutaway shot...there's sufficient light on it and you grab it...in seconds...and it will cut together with your 1DX...since the HVX200, this is my first use of a hybrid style camera with IBIS...color...bitrate...image quality aside...this almost instantly became the strongest feature for me in this camera! 

PS...this is no camera for a beginner, but I would also add that you could make the autofocus work for you, exactly as it is...it does not approach Canon's, but then you're no beginner, and would quickly figure out where and how to use it and when not....I don't use AF, but did some rudimentary tests out of curiosity, and it works much better than the internet videos suggest...I would say that it would not be an issue for you.

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@DBounceThe IBIS on this camera is an incredible plus...if you have a camera strap around your neck, for some resistance and a quick release, you have a "rig"...you can do a panning shot or even a small slider shot, that looks locked off...period...the speed with which you can shots with this camera, that would otherwise require 30 min to an hour setup cannot be stated enough...as you shoot professionally, this will be hugely relevant to you...you see an interesting cutaway shot...there's sufficient light on it and you grab it...in seconds...and it will cut together with your 1DX...since the HVX200, this is my first use of a hybrid style camera with IBIS...color...bitrate...image quality aside...this almost instantly became the strongest feature for me in this camera! 

PS...this is no camera for a beginner, but I would also add that you could make the autofocus work for you, exactly as it is...it does not approach Canon's, but then you're no beginner, and would quickly figure out where and how to use it and when not....I don't use AF, but did some rudimentary tests out of curiosity, and it works much better than the internet videos suggest...I would say that it would not be an issue for you.

Was thinking of getting a set of veydra mini primes. Any thoughts?

@DBounceNever owned them, but I think they would be amazing on the GH5...If you could rent a combo as a tryout, that would of course be ideal...a pro-shooter at DVXUser owns the combo and he's very satisfied...as you know though, these are pricey but you get true Cinema Primes...really nothing to equal them for the price though...like you I was keeping my eye on the Terra 6K too...completely underwhelmed in the end by the footage...IMO the GH5 blows past it....I bought the Leica 12-60 to use purely as a lens, to use with the GH5 auto rack focus..to my surprise (I don't buy Panny Native Lenses) this has not come off the GH5....I love this thing...In combo with your DX1, a GH5 and Veydra Primes you'd have a "shoot anything" production package IMO...especially narrative...personally I would opt for the 12, 25 & 50 kit at around 2800 including a 6 lens Pelican case...then shoot 4K ETC so the 12 also becomes 18, the 25 a 35, and the 50 a 70...you land up with 6 focal lengths and if Vedra developes their Anamorphic primes, you have room in the case.

5 hours ago, ade towell said:

The SLR Anamorphot-40 1.33x, mounted on a very cheap Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 looks pretty sharp for the money

That this is all hanheld is testimony to Panasonics implimentation of IBIS

Was there any post stabilization? Because that's amazing if that's all straight out of camera, holy moly. 

On 05/07/2017 at 1:09 AM, AaronChicago said:

I think you mentioned this earlier @Oliver Daniel but if you like going handheld the IBIS in the GH5 is so great paired with fast primes and lenses like your Sigma Arts.

I actually had a brief go of my friends GH5 with my Sigma glass using the IBIS. Although I'm used to it with the Sony cameras, the Panasonic version is different. It's actually much smoother, whereas the Sony IBIS is more sensitive to robotic jolts in movement. 

On 05/07/2017 at 10:24 AM, Jimmy said:

This is a sad reality when working for some clients. You could rig up a small camera to look all big and pro, but you are back to square one again, in terms of mobility.

Yep, the client felt very comfortable with the camera and love the fact they could see the footage with a LUT applied via the Shogun Inferno. On professional basis, you can't ignore the value that this brings to a set. Making the client happy is always No.1 - even if you disagree with them. 

23 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

That is so correct, sigh.

Lol, each camera has its purpose. FS5 for client confidence a6500 for the rest. Maybe you are suffering GAS :grin: 

I think 98% of video shooters suffer from GAS, as do musicians and other gadget geeks.....

The FS5 was a great asset on this particular shoot and I did enjoy using it. 

The only thing is that my shoots are getting much increased camera movement, and this is where the FS5 gets put down in favour of the A6500 or A7S II. 

You could argue that i could put the FS5 on a quick release and fly it on a Ronin-M - however I've actually done that and I would come away from the shoot in absolute agony form operating. I don't enjoy being in agony, hence why i got the A6500 and Zhiyun Crane for gimbal work. Much easier and enjoyable.