Swapping the FS5 for a........ GH5?

Oliver Daniel

It has 4K 100fps, HD 200fps, electronic vari-ND, CDNG, ProRes, HDR screen, a modular body....

....but....

there's also a certain artistic dissatisfaction with using the FS5 and Inferno as my main weapon of choice. 

There's another thread all about the liberation small cameras give you. I'm a complete advocate of the premise. 

I dislike the fact that I've found the external 4K ProRes is barely better than the internal HD. Also that the FS5 doesn't go on a gimbal or a slider (where smaller cameras do), seems a bit wasteful. Also my Sigma ART lenses are non-IS - so handheld micro jitter is apparent. 

The GH5 has a number of benefits at a creative level. It's smaller and well featured - there's no need to list these here. 

So im thinking of selling my FS5 setup, going GH5 and putting more into the lenses and support equipment. You know, things that actually have a really dramatic impact on the image. 

If I did sell up, I'd miss that continuous high quality HFR. However I'm not really enjoying my beastly FS5 spec-monster package. I feel it holds me back in a lot of ways. Sometimes I'm not enjoying the shooting experience at all. 

My clients like the FS5, but then again, there's never been a problem shooting with something less spectacular looking. 

This is an emotional thing really. I'm a firm believer in the "person behind the camera matters" thing, however I think I can perform better artistic choices and results by making a smaller camera, like the GH5, the A-cam. 

Am I going crazy? £8k + setup for a £2k one? Sounds crazy. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I'd definitely sell the FS5.

The question is what's best to replace it with...

GH5, E-M1 II, 1D C and A99 II would all be contenders if it were me choosing!

These are creative cameras that get out of the way.

The stabilisation is wonderful to have on the GH5 and E-M1 II.

The E-M1 II is even smaller than the GH5... Ergonomically if you didn't like the RX10 III you might not like the 'feel' of the GH5's body, which is where the E-M1 II comes in.

The 1D C shoots very decent 1080p, remember... so although the 4K image is clearly better than the FS5 and pretty much everything else, the file sizes can be a hassle unless you don't mind length transcoding sessions and having 10 or 12 CF cards on a shoot.

The A99 II for me is a superb all-rounder which does everything well, especially slow-mo.

Smaller cameras make you nimble. Lighter equipment makes you more mobile and less tired (arguably more creative then) and you can carry two cameras for redundancy were before you just fitted one, I'm all in for the GH5 if you're used to shoot solo or with a small team. If your clients don't mind I would consider it but make sure you can control the beast and get the results you want before jumping into the void (you know Sellers-buyers remorse at the same time). Maybe rent it if you can for a couple of projects or go inserting footage here or there. 

It's a decision based on your project(s) really, but as an overall camera, I think the GH5 is an amazing camera. Right now I have the GH5 and UMPro. 

10bit 4K and 4K 60 fps are what lead me to the GH5 over similar models. This is the first camera I've owned or used with IBIS and it's so great. And despite what others have said, I find the colors and look extremely cinematic, and I don't even have v-log yet. 

Again, your projects should determine your gear. For me it's the GH5. Hope my input is at all helpful.

@Jonesy Jones's camera options seems perfect to me...looked at the EV1 first, but for lenses I've collected the EF mount is dead....love the GH5...first IBIS camera I owned...seems unreal, that before one shot without it...the UMP is also an attractive option down the road...beautiful image...cuts well with the GH5 and flexible mounts at a very reasonable price....for small and nimble though, the GH5 IMO is just rock solid...and it does not produce moire and rolling shutter is excellent...very happy with mine...and as you shoot professionally, it's a very good choice...the ways you can customize it to suit your style/needs (something rarely mentioned but very pertinent) is amazing....lastly...I would use this alongside a Varicam without any hesitation to get difficult shots.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd definitely sell the FS5.

The question is what's best to replace it with...

GH5, E-M1 II, 1D C and A99 II would all be contenders if it were me choosing!

These are creative cameras that get out of the way.

The stabilisation is wonderful to have on the GH5 and E-M1 II.

The E-M1 II is even smaller than the GH5... Ergonomically if you didn't like the RX10 III you might not like the 'feel' of the GH5's body, which is where the E-M1 II comes in.

The 1D C shoots very decent 1080p, remember... so although the 4K image is clearly better than the FS5 and pretty much everything else, the file sizes can be a hassle unless you don't mind length transcoding sessions and having 10 or 12 CF cards on a shoot.

The A99 II for me is a superb all-rounder which does everything well, especially slow-mo.

As a small body is a must and also HFR..... I'm heavily leaning towards the GH5. 

I was a GH3 owner and had a great time with that camera. Couldn't believe how much better the 1080p was compared to the Canons! 

1DC is far too limited as a main video tool. 

A99II seems ok but A-mount...... I'm looking forward to the A7SIII. 

8 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

It's a decision based on your project(s) really, but as an overall camera, I think the GH5 is an amazing camera. Right now I have the GH5 and UMPro. 

10bit 4K and 4K 60 fps are what lead me to the GH5 over similar models. This is the first camera I've owned or used with IBIS and it's so great. And despite what others have said, I find the colors and look extremely cinematic, and I don't even have v-log yet. 

Again, your projects should determine your gear. For me it's the GH5. Hope my input is at all helpful.

All the reasons you list is why I favour the GH5. 

A lot of my work is actually highly controlled, but even then, as I'm very handheld, by the end of the shoot my arms and back are absolutely screwed! Plus I much prefer using portable style sliders and gimbals rather than big boxes of chunk. 

9 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

Smaller cameras make you nimble. Lighter equipment makes you more mobile and less tired (arguably more creative then) and you can carry two cameras for redundancy were before you just fitted one, I'm all in for the GH5 if you're used to shoot solo or with a small team. If your clients don't mind I would consider it but make sure you can control the beast and get the results you want before jumping into the void (you know Sellers-buyers remorse at the same time). Maybe rent it if you can for a couple of projects or go inserting footage here or there. 

I shot an entire paid music video just on an A6500 and the 18-105mm. The shoot succeeded due to this choice, loved it. The annoying part was that the screen dims a lot and the rolling shutter is absolute shit. Got round it though. 

I think I'll keep hold of the A6500 if I sell the FS5 - great on a gimbal, stunning 4k and awesome autofocus. Nice and small. 

You're gonna get a bit of an echo chamber here, lots of people with new GH5s... and also lots of people who haven't used a bigger setup.

From the style of work you make, I think you will miss having a truly top quality image in your main camera (raw, 13 stops dr, nice rolloff, HFR etc)

I sold a combo of 5DIII (ML raw) and FS700/OQ7 setup to move to NX1 and A7s ii... regretted it massively. At the end of the day, IQ is what really counts and I traded that for mobility and specs. I have now sold it all up and gone back to a 5Diiii.

You already have some great cameras for the mobility stuff, why not just use them on the shoots that you feel you would benefit from mobility, but have an F5S, C200 or whatever for the shoots that need a higher level of IQ.

I did used to hate tethering the OQ7 to the FS700 though. C200 or the new panny look far more interesting, small but with internal cinema quality IQ.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

You're gonna get a bit of an echo chamber here, lots of people with new GH5s... and also lots of people who haven't used a bigger setup.

From the style of work you make, I think you will miss having a truly top quality image in your main camera (raw, 13 stops dr, nice rolloff, HFR etc)

I sold a combo of 5DIII (ML raw) and FS700/OQ7 setup to move to NX1 and A7s ii... regretted it massively. At the end of the day, IQ is what really counts and I traded that for mobility and specs. I have now sold it all up and gone back to a 5Diiii.

You already have some great cameras for the mobility stuff, why not just use them on the shoots that you feel you would benefit from mobility, but have an F5S, C200 or whatever for the shoots that need a higher level of IQ.

I did used to hate tethering the OQ7 to the FS700 though. C200 or the new panny look far more interesting, small but with internal cinema quality IQ.

Yep, I figured that (this forum being mostly mirrorless and DSLR users). 

I've not completely conceded that the FS5 is on it's way out. It's something that I'd take very seriously and patiently. 

I'm editing an FS5 / A6500 music video right now - the A6500 image stands proud with the high bitrate 4k FS5 footage - however the 4k 100fps from the Inferno is indeed excellent and unique at the moment. 

Trouble is...I'm not enjoying my shooting with the FS5, but I do smile when I use the A6500. 

I've got a friend with a GH5 and we're going to do a camera swap for a couple of shoots. 

See what tickles. 

p.s I do agree that the EVA1 sounds much better, but then we're due an FS5 II soon.... (it goes on and on and on and on).... 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Jimmy hasn't used a GH5, if he had he'd see that it had an image that is better than the Sonys, 10bit codec, much better colour, at least 12 stops dynamic range in V-LOG-L, far less compression, less macro blocking, clean shadows and it does have HFR 1080p all the way up to 180fps.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Jimmy hasn't used a GH5, if he had he'd see that it had an image that is better than the Sonys, 10bit codec, much better colour, at least 12 stops dynamic range in V-LOG-L, far less compression, less macro blocking, clean shadows and it does have HFR 1080p all the way up to 180fps.

Yep, for those who haven't used the camera they only have current online footage to go from, and from what I've seen so far, 97% of it is of a very low standard (in all due respect) - which is expected really as many beginners will be trying it out. 

How is the HFR up to 180fps? This is a very important feature for me and the only reason I use Sony instead of other brands. 

The A6500 100fps is nice when sharpened, much better than the A7SII's cropped version. 

I know it won't beat the 4k 100fps from the Inferno, but curious to see how good it is. I can't trust "tests" we see on YT and Vimeo, hence my comment above. 

I have a Canon C100, great camera with lovely images and ergonomics but...for some jobs lugging it around all day with lenses and a monopod got very tiring. I bought a GH5 10 days ago and I've used it in 2 weddings, a corporate video and a music video. It's a great wee camera and very liberating. The only real downsides I can think of are that it's a bit more limited than the C100 in lowlight, the battery usage isn't measured in minutes and the display button is in a stupid place. I need to read the manual to see if I can turn it off!

53 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

hahaha, my brother owns a GH5, i've used it loads. Why jump to conclusions?

If you love it, great.... (he loves it too.. hell, I really like it).... I personally think, it doesn't hold up to the raw of 5Diii or FS700 though, which is all I mentioned.

If you think the GH5 compares favourably to the FS5 raw, then perfect (i've not tired FS5 raw).... If Oliver finds the same results, then he'll save himself a bunch of money and go much smaller, perfect.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If you love it, great.... (he loves it too.. hell, I really like it).... I personally think, it doesn't hold up to the raw of 5Diii or FS700 though, which is all I mentioned.

If you think the GH5 compares favourably to the FS5 raw, then perfect (i've not tired FS5 raw).... If Oliver finds the same results, then he'll save himself a bunch of money and go much smaller, perfect.

Well that's the thing, I've tried the RAW on the FS5 and the data is far too much for me to handle. It's something I would hardly ever use to be honest. 

I always use RAW to ProRes - and even then, the internal HD holds its ground against the 4K PoRes HQ. 

The slo-mo is great though. That's the defining feature. 

6 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

think I'll keep hold of the A6500 if I sell the FS5 - great on a gimbal, stunning 4k and awesome autofocus. Nice and small.

I thinks this would give you a perfect combo....as the A6500 is perfect for your gimbal and autofocus is far better than the GH5 from all reports (I don't use it) this will tick all the boxes for you....anyway....when you borrow your friends GH5, you'll know whether it feels right...I will say that in spite of the symilar size to the GH3 & 4 and only a slight weight increase, the camera  feels like a completely beast...I use a grip strap with all my cameras, but with the GH5 it is especially essential to me....the grip is deep...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Your brother may have used it, you haven't, so it's a second hand opinion you've got of it.

That 10bit LOG doesn't quite stand up to RAW isn't news.

But it's the best codec and image processor available for the money with the most features and the nicest form factor. All are important here.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Your brother may have used it, you haven't, so it's a second hand opinion you've got of it.

I have used it! This is like the twilight zone. I had a GH2 and GH4, so helped him learn the system, showed him how to grade log etc (he is a drone photographer 1st, but he is adding video to his drone setup).

My initial point was that Daniel might miss the 13+ stops DR, rolloff etc that the FS5 raw offers, which you are now backing up as better IQ. If Daniel rarely uses raw anyway, it's less of a point though.

I'm not saying anything bad about the GH5, not in the slightest. I like it alot. Amazing quality for the money.

2 minutes ago, sondreg said:

How would you go about lenses? I'm looking into grabbing a GH5 myself starting from scratch but not sure if grabbing a speedbooster's worth it...

Get fast lenses! Buy a secondhand Voightlander or SLR Magic and see if they suit your style.