Swapping the FS5 for a........ GH5?

Oliver Daniel

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@PannySVHS @Cinegain Shared a video shot with the A7s with some of the most muted colors I've seen, and while I'm not overly fond of the low contrast look for extended periods of time, I think the results are quite pleasing. I'm not at all familiar with Sony, but I think it's shot in 8 bit. 

Hey Jon, always thought it was a A7RII :)  I think video shows a nice example of muted color. It´s from Richard Gale himself. I remember when it was posted here the first time. So it´s an A7s then. Some people know how to treat that camera indeed:)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Nocturnes If you read the OP’s original post carefully, you’ll see that he says something to the effect that the number of advantages of the GH5 are too numerous to list (my own poetic account), or that they’re already well known (slightly less poetic), which is why he was considering changing systems. But there must be a lot of crazy filmmakers out there, because he’s far from the first who would prefer shooting with the GH5 rather than with a cinema camera. 

On 11/23/2017 at 12:33 PM, Laurier said:

Yeah but the A7R2 have excellent auto-focus in video , I shoot a lot of fashion video/Mv and that a fantastic feature, It save me the cost of a 1st AD, beside I can shoot moving subject hand held with a 85mm 1.8 wide open in full frame,  and I love the look.

1st AD?!?! Hmmm.... strange.

AC perhaps?

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

1st AD?!?! Hmmm.... strange.

AC perhaps?

Sorry I meant first AC/focus puller yes.

About the muted colors, I agree with Slog-2 ( you can always saturate but you get compression artifacts quickly) , but I recently switched to Cine1-pro and it s better,

On the original A7s there was a big gap in DR between slog and the other modes, but IMO on the a7r2 the gap is not so big, so I d rather have cleaner colors than a bit more DR.

But to be honest cinematic images are not usually super saturated overall, and that what I m after .