RED's new toy?!

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Right so it seems like an Android phone with no specs, but we do know it probably has some kind of lenticular screen like the Nintendo 3DS for a depth effect that will make you cross eyed and it has contacts that back onto other modules to give it other functionality like as a screen for your RED Epic.

Props to red for trying something different at least. However, I'd need to see at least the basic specs and exactly what screen tech is in it before stumping up $1500

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Right so it seems like an Android phone with no specs, but we do know it probably has some kind of lenticular screen like the Nintendo 3DS for a depth effect that will make you cross eyed and it has contacts that back onto other modules to give it other functionality like as a screen for your RED Epic.

Props to red for trying something different at least. However, I'd need to see at least the basic specs and exactly what screen tech is in it before stumping up $1500

Come to think of it, they had these holographic phones in 2011/2012 right?
Isn't there a way to turn off the holograms? In any case, I'm with you... I need to see more specs and at least a video of the functionalities before even thinking about it.

Nonetheless, I see this taking off like Beats by Dr. Dre headsets.... first DPs will have them, then directors will get them, eventually actors will have them - free marketing.

I go to alot of VR/AR expos with my job and have seen some (fairly crude) hologram tech, so if they have nailed it... It will be interesting.

I can't see any current tech that would display holograms bigger than a few inches tall. I still struggle to see many real world uses for it... Games, some eduction, maybe some mapping that required a 3rd axis. Most everything you can imagine would simply be quicker and better on a 2D screen though. VR/AR needs to have a wide field of view.

I've received exclusive info from a trusted source to exactly what this new gizmo does:

1. VR, Holographic, 3D and some other cool sounding stuff that actually does sound cool but we have to use our imagination into exactly how it will work. 

2. New Module - RED Car Control. Simply control your actual car in a VR Google map. Pretend it has guns to shoot other cars in your way. (Bluetooth and Cruise Control vehicles only). 

3. New Module - RED Nightmare Grenade. Record and play your worst nightmares in REDs r3d codec at up to 8k 120fps and share your experience online in VR. 

4. New Module - RED Weapon Tank. Convert your RED Weapon into a tank so you can film it blow up stuff at 1000fps. 

5. New Module - RED Blast Radius. Use your Hydrogen radar module to identify Google, Apple and Samsung phones around you. Detonate them with a single touch. 

6. New Module - RED Interrogator. Use your phone's A.I assistant (like Siri but angry and military like) to question other peoples camera choices as they are inferior to RED. 

7. Camera Expansion - RED MAX. Combine your phone with RED's new RED MAX projector that can predict the future of all other camera brand resolutions and frame rates. Comes with canned laughter. (the projector comes at up to IMAX size and can also be combined with helicopter propellors for RED SKY IMAX. 

8. Camera Expansion - RED Chain Bomb. You can "daisy chain" all RED Hydrogen phones together by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to create a holographic RED logo in the sky which explodes into red fireworks. Doing this increases your RED Weapons ISO temporarily to ISO 3000,400,700,201. 33. It's so sensitive that you can actually film through objects. 

9. Firmware Update - RED Handed. This is sort of like Apple's "Find Your iPhone" app, but this actually detects if someone has stolen the phone and activates an electric shock so the robber drops your phone. It then has wings that come out the sides and flies back to you. 

10. Firmware Update - Code RED. Write your own code and add features to your RED Weapon camera, such as a Disney film app or even better, a library of War genre films to watch while you judge exposure on your shoot. 

The trusted source also said the price for the phone is just for the actual shell of the phone, and you will have to buy all the separate components and modules to make it work. Each module is rumoured to be priced around $47,500 and there will be 437 to choose from by 2019. 

Text messaging will be added as firmware update in 2020 and it will cost a cut-price of $23,000. 

Ok, ok....it's Friday, I've finished for the day and I fancied have a mess around. But of course, this is all true! 

Wow. No Working Prototype, No clarity on what exactly it is, and no CGI kind of graphics (ala Craft Camera) to help us get a vague idea of what we will be holding in our hands, either.

So basically, just give us $1500, and we will tell you what it is, WHEN we actually make it.

I would say this thing has iPhone written all over it. Hahaha

So, it's a 5.7" smartphone/media device with a holographic 3D display. I mean, that's kinda cool. Unlike an iPhone it actually seems to have a 3.5mm headphone port integrated. :P Kinda like the rugged, grippy styling too. Looks like it has a camera. If it's not tech that doesn't even wow the public like a Panasonic CM1, DxO ONE or Kodak Ektra, it might actually be interesting. Modularity/expandability too. Of course Moto Z has for example a Hasselblad back availlable for it. If it shoots some RED mojo, maybe something like the Cinema4K app by @nokker was going for, it would be fun. As well of course just because this whole industry is booming. And well. Pr0n.

Actually, 'no glasses' 'glassesless' etc 3D displays isn't that new. I was at a convention 3 years ago where they had tablets doing that. Around that time there were also tvs that did the same, there the main issue was that someone a little off from dead center, didn't properly see 3D. Seems nobody really bought into the gimmick as I've haven't seen any applications of this tech for a while now. Might be interesting to see how it's in 2017 2018, though, with all these other technologies around.