A look at the camera setup on Oliver Stone's Vladimir Putin Interviews, with DP Anthony Dod Mantle

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

putin-oliver-stone-interviews-anthony-dod-mantle-cameras.jpg

Anthony Dod Mantle is a well known cinematographer, responsible for pioneering work with digital right from the get-go in the late 1990's.

He is the guy behind some of Danny Boyle and Lars Von Trier's best work.

So why is he shooting with a 5D Mark II in 2017?

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, this is shitty bloody political propaganda. Wish you came to all places destroyed by this "patriotic man who loves his country" and his gangsters-totalitarian machine.

I will never post in this forum again after this. Bye.

46 minutes ago, shijan said:

Andrew, this is shitty bloody political propaganda. Wish you came to all places destroyed by this "patriotic man who loves his country" and his gangsters-totalitarian machine.

This is a camera forum. If you're biased and are not able to read a full sentence and the irony you're missing half of the context. Because, of course, this forum is not ironic in any way.

48 minutes ago, shijan said:

In part, it is Putin spun propaganda and you feel drawn in by his intelligence, cultured upbringing and even some of his rational arguments. <irony>He’s a patriotic man who loves his country.</irony>

But would I trust him?

I know the situation in your country, I have friends there who had to flee or be forced to join the army and die for nothing, and you have to realise too that there's a game of power between two oligarchies that don't care about the people, just money and gas. That's no reason to be rude. I thought you would better comment on the use of an old Canon relic, an unuseful 1 inch sensor camera with a horrid lens and a proper camera that doesn't mix with anything dslr :grin:. The only thing I can consider is the balls and trust Mantle had to have to mix this cameras and be sure he'd get a good result and Stone's confidence in his DOP. Cheers to them. They probably were thinking about battery life too, you know, in case...

it could be a 5D mark III, no ? How you can make the différence between a 5D mark II and a mark III  with looking at these pictures only? @Andrew Reid   

You knew very well that the close-ups does not pose big broblem of moire and aliasing

For a filming in FHD with a C300 and an XC10 the choice of a 5D mark III as a B camera It seems obvious to me 

And I think a "soft" image is more flattering for the face of putin ;)

• Administrators
10 hours ago, shijan said:

Sorry if the description of Putin offends you. I don't actually like or trust what goes on and being "patriotic" does not for one second, for me, make a good person. He's patriotic in the sense that he is a soviet and considers the fall of the soviet union a disaster, saying in the documentary that "millions of Russians suddenly found themselves abroad". If you watch Stone's YouTube interview he describes Putin as patriotic to his cause, and that's just a true statement.

As for his charisma there's no denying he's a wily old fox, but that doesn't make him a good guy either.

And if Putin is involved in giving us Trump, which is strongly hinted at in episode 4 of the interviews by the body language, it's a big disgrace.

23 minutes ago, tupp said:

Be careful!  Vlad can find you!

I hope he has a sense of humor :D It's more professional than personal 

27 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Erm because the 5D Mark III doesn't have moire. Also I didn't look at those pictures only, I watched the entire series of 4 hour long episodes and it pops up quite a bit.

It is true that the image looks more like the mark II because of the moire 

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And if Putin is involved in giving us Trump, which is strongly hinted at in episode 4 of the interviews by the body language, it's a big disgrace.

They can't change election result even in their puppet state Iran, let alone America. Russian power is overrated.