Mini Review - The MOVO Foldable Pocketable Rig Type Of Thing

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

I've just picked one of these up and its a pretty nifty little thing.

Basically its a series of locking bars that you can easily change to be anything from a selfie stick for Vlogging to a top handle to a shoulder mount or even a poor man's low mode stabiliser.

As the joints lock in any angle its really flexible in being able to be shaped to what you need it for. Its really useful in the shoulder mount mode actually because you can make the angle of the piece that runs over your shoulder to be really tight so it hooks in firmly.

Each piece also has 3 mounting holes so you can attach handles, mics, lights, monitors, cup holders or whatever else rig enthusiasts like to cram on there if thats your thing.

Its light, versatile, folds down small enough to fit in a coat pocket and at £38 its not exactly going to break the bank.

With something with IBIS like the GX80 I've got it with here, it gives some great additional stabilisation advantage and still keeps you stealth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo/Movo-SV1000-Aluminum-Combination-Stabilizer/B012Y7UVB4/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1498822792&sr=8-19-spons&keywords=movo&psc=1

MOVO REVIEW COMP.jpg

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a GX80 too and a Came tv3 way gimbel, but am looking at getting rid of it as I travel alot and it is tiresome to take through airport check-ins and its big plastic case. Even if I take it out in its foam and put it in my backback it adds up to more weight and space. I am looking at alternatives of either a smaller gimbal or these kind of DYI gadgets. How do you find the Movo with regard to minimisation of side to side walking movement when locked in the shoulder mode?

40 minutes ago, luminescence said:

. How do you find the Movo with regard to minimisation of side to side walking movement when locked in the shoulder mode?

I haven't used one of these, but if you're talking about side to side movement while walking, then a Fig Rig is excellent. And they're easy to improvise with a camera clamp.

• Super Members
5 hours ago, luminescence said:

How do you find the Movo with regard to minimisation of side to side walking movement when locked in the shoulder mode?

How well it works for that specific movement will vary from person to person I suppose.

My own physiology isn't conducive to decent walking shots anymore because of the amount of damage I've done to my shoulder over the years but the MOVO does improve it over handheld. 

What is interesting about it though is that it can be shaped in so many different ways so I've done some experiments with turning the last piece up instead of down so it hooks under the shoulder which with my physiology is actually a bit better. 

So the answer I suppose is that it depends !

But there is a ton of flexibility to it that you can find a way that suits you personally better.

I've just done this quick illustration for you of what else you could do if you put it into a more basic inverted L shape. Because of the mounting points on all of the arms you could side mount two cheap pistol grips (I only have one so you'll have to use your imagination but basically it would go directly on the other side!) to do something with a different take on the Fig approach where it would be gripped like handlebars.

I've put the other picture from the other thread of the grip being used in a more conventional way for anyone who is only looking at this thread and hasn't seen it. A couple of these grips (which are inexpensive and way hardly anything) can do offer a lot of scope with the MOVO without breaking the bank or your back.

Grips are here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Handheld-Stabilizer-Panasonic-Samsung/dp/B018LQEFL4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501604216&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+Camera+Handle+Pistol+Grip

MOVO Side Grip.jpg

Grip.jpg

I've been intrigued by this one as well - seems to be a knockoff of the Edelkrone Pocket Shot: 

maxresdefault.jpg

What I'm wondering about though: Whichever way you fold it, it seems to give no more than two points of contact, and essentially only stabilisation on the vertical (not the horizontal) axis. Or am I missing something?

Postscript: Edelkrone seems to have discontinued the Pocket Shot, perhaps because reviews haven't been very favorable.

• Super Members

Its the side mounting holes that can make the difference and can give you the extra point of contact with a pistol grip.

If you are using something small like a GX80 then shaping the MOVO into a chest or belt configuration and putting the grip on the side as above you can grip the camera with your left hand, hold the pistol grip with your right and your third point of contact is the chest or your belt area. 

Its not as sophisticated as the Edelkrone was (which you would expect for the price) as you have to manually tighten and loosen the arms but, for me at least, the mounting holes give it more potential all round utility. 

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

How well it works for that specific movement will vary from person to person I suppose.

My own physiology isn't conducive to decent walking shots anymore because of the amount of damage I've done to my shoulder over the years but the MOVO does improve it over handheld. 

What is interesting about it though is that it can be shaped in so many different ways so I've done some experiments with turning the last piece up instead of down so it hooks under the shoulder which with my physiology is actually a bit better. 

So the answer I suppose is that it depends !

But there is a ton of flexibility to it that you can find a way that suits you personally better.

I've just done this quick illustration for you of what else you could do if you put it into a more basic inverted L shape. Because of the mounting points on all of the arms you could side mount two cheap pistol grips (I only have one so you'll have to use your imagination but basically it would go directly on the other side!) to do something with a different take on the Fig approach where it would be gripped like handlebars.

I've put the other picture from the other thread of the grip being used in a more conventional way for anyone who is only looking at this thread and hasn't seen it. A couple of these grips (which are inexpensive and way hardly anything) can do offer a lot of scope with the MOVO without breaking the bank or your back.

Grips are here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Handheld-Stabilizer-Panasonic-Samsung/dp/B018LQEFL4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501604216&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+Camera+Handle+Pistol+Grip

MOVO Side Grip.jpg

Grip.jpg

thanks for posting this, intriguing possibilities to reflect upon. At least its worth a try without too much to lose, given its cheap price.