The Sweet Spot

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Some great discussions on here in the past few weeks about paring things down and in the spirit of that, what do you think is the sweet spot camera?

I'm beginning to think its the G80/85

4K, IBIS, Mic input, Cinelike D, articulating screen, flexible mount, compact, no overheating, decent app for remote control, easy workflow.

And you can now get them for £550.

I can see it about cameras further up like the A6300/6500 and the GH5 but I definitely think the G80/85 packs the biggest bang for the buck.

Whats yours?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know, I think with your discovery, the GX85 is the camera to get, but the little extra features are worth it for the G85. I'm so bored with most new cameras I've tried since going the 5D3 route that I am looking to the past for my future cameras. I think I see a 1DC in my future. But that's neither here nor there for this thread.

For the money, the Panny GX85 or G85 is great for 4K and other features. If you don't need 4K, I still love the HD image out of the D5500/D5600. I would love to see more talented people than myself have a stab at it. But for the money, I think the a6500 has the best 4K around and respectable 5-axis. 

Are you kidding me? BH Photo lists the G85 as discontinued? If you can find one of these for as little as USD 715.00, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. In fact, I was about to pull the trigger on a second body myself, but they're going for around $1,000 at a shop here in Hanoi. Before purchasing mine around six months ago at a store in Penang, I really half-expected the images from the G85 to be grossly over-sharpened, with hideously aggressive noise reduction, clipped highlights and crushed blacks. If that had turned out to be so, I was even prepared to dump all my m4/3 gear and switch to another brand, I kid you not. Fortunately, that wasn't the case, and it's the best digital camera I've worked with bar none (but I have much less experience than other forum members here with different brands, for sure!) Another reason I've held off purchasing a second body is that I fully expect Panasonic to announce a new midrange camera shortly, with some of the added functionality of the GH5 - what those features might be is anybody's guess, but even something as small as no extra crop in 4K would be huge for me (the G85 has a 1.1X crop). But the trend is higher prices, so the G85 will still be a bargain. 

30 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

Yes. It was in great shape and came with the box and all. Now I'm trying to find some lenses. :)

Go vintage. There is very little so satisfying than using a lens from the 1970s or 80s with 5-axis IBIS. To be able to go handheld and focus with your left hand on lenses built for manual focus with smooth focus rings is just a joy with that camera. 

Plus you can find such bargains on old Nikon lenses, or Minolta MDs, or Pentax or Takumars, or Russian lenses. They force you to take your time with composition while setting up your shot and they help to take away that digital look inherent in modern digital cameras. 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Are you kidding me? BH Photo lists the G85 as discontinued? If you can find one of these for as little as USD 715.00, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. In fact, I was about to pull the trigger on a second body myself, but they're going for around $1,000 at a shop here in Hanoi. 

Readily available in the UK still as body only. Thanks to the country lurching from one laughable decision to another it won't be long before there is 1:1 parity with the dollar and it'll be worth buying a plane ticket to come and get one!

http://www.wexphotographic.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g80-digital-camera-body-1607694/

It does point to a new model but I'm curious to know what they could put in it without threatening the GH5 to be anything other than a relatively small incremental change. Higher bitrates and purchasable VLOG are both available in their top end bridge camera the FZ2000/2500 so it could be those and that could make it worthwhile for upgrading. But either way, a new model will make a used G80 quickly be available sub £400 which is beyond a bargain.

5 minutes ago, Grimor said:

@BTM_Pix i really think G80 is your camera!!

We, G80 owners, really wish it so badly !!

And think about the surprise faces of the camera store crew, when you came back but this time not to capture data packages... :glasses:

Not to mention the surprise on their faces when I ask if I can test it with my new follow focus controller........

And how doubly shocked they'll be when I put the metabones smart adapter on and they see it doing it with Canon lenses as well......(As shocked as I was yesterday when I got it working !)

But that's for another thread on another day. Like next Thursday probably.

Sony has stopped the production of 16mp sensors so that would explain the discontinuation of the G85 et al. Im looking forward to the 20mp going in all future cameras as it seems to have fixed the purple flaring issue (judging by what ive seen from the GH5). 

The G85 is a nice sweet spot. I am tossing up between that and the Canon 80d for very low budget photo/video work. Thoughts, anyone?

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The G85 is a nice sweet spot. I am tossing up between that and the Canon 80d for very low budget photo/video work. Thoughts, anyone?

I would imagine the 80D would smoke it for stills and there are lens choice advantages, particularly on the wides.

But having said that, you could get the G80 with a smart speedbooster for less money and reduce the bridge the lens gap and make a dent on the low light as well.

Whereas the advantages the G80 has of 4K and the IBIS (not to mention small primes in MFT format) and form factor are not something that you can bring to the 80D. Or, it seems, can Canon this side of 2020 ;)

Thats why the G80 is the sweet spot for me.

The one that could have been, if Fuji had IBIS, would be the X-T20.

44 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Sony has stopped the production of 16mp sensors so that would explain the discontinuation of the G85 et al. Im looking forward to the 20mp going in all future cameras as it seems to have fixed the purple flaring issue (judging by what ive seen from the GH5). 

If you can make money with an 80D, then I'd say definitely get that. It wins with photography and AF and it really has a decent all-i 1080p. Post work will be quick and easy. And you can get a Refurbished one from Canon for a great price these days.

• Administrators

Sony discontinued the older 16MP APS-C sensor that Fuji used in the X100 series until recently. Are you sure you're not confusing the G85 sensor with that, because I'm pretty sure the G85 isn't discontinued. It's only been out 8 months!!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony discontinued the older 16MP APS-C sensor that Fuji used in the X100 series until recently. Are you sure you're not confusing the G85 sensor with that, because I'm pretty sure the G85 isn't discontinued. It's only been out 8 months!!

It seems to be discontinued in its body only format in the US.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280825-REG/panasonic_dmc_gm85kbody_lumix_dmc_g85_mirrorless_micro.html

6 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Why would you want body-only anyways? It's only $100 more for the kit,and you can easily sell off the kit lens for ~$250. Instant $150 discount on the body.

Thats what i do. But i changed kit 12-60 for the Leica one...