maxotics

Vlogging Mirror for Sony Cameras

Hi guys, I've been developing a gadget to vlog with Sony cameras.  As you know the screen doesn't tilt 180-degrees.  I'm selling the functional prototypes here http://maxotics.com/vlogging-mirror-for-sony-cameras/  

However, if it doesn't cost much for me to send it to you (that is; you're in the US) I'm happy send any EOSHD reader one for free if they have a real need for it and give some feedback.  (Of course, this will only last until my supply runs out  or it goes into some "production").  You can PM me here.

Andrew, if you're reading this and want one, let me know your address and I'll send the latest build.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi @mercer I did a bunch of RAW stuff a few months ago.  I'm glad to see Andrew did another article.   Although I love the 8mm film look of the EOS-M RAW, there is too much moire, even for me (and moire doesn't really bother me that much anymore).  I found the 50D occasionally buggy--sometimes it wouldn't record.  The 7D however is a ROCK!  As Andrew said, 7D are cheap enough one shouldn't bother with the 50D.  I also found MLVProduer to make working with RAW super-easy. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlvproducer/ I just load the 7D RAW file in it, grade, export to H.264 4:2:2 and good enough for me! I wish I had some creative film ideas to do with the EOS-M, but I don't.  I'd love to see 12-bit for the 7D.  My initial experience with it on the EOS-M is that it looks damn good.  However, the 7D doesn't have an official ML build as it is, so no idea when 12-bit will happen for it.  Anyway, I'm trying to do more stuff with 8-bit.  It saddens me that the 1080 out of the A6300 isn't as good as the 4K downscaled.  However, the 4K from the A6300 is beautifully clean.  I've also picked up a C100 and I love that too, but it's big!  As Andrew said in another article, small cameras are necessary to get creative on your lonesome ;)  Anyway, I've been around.  I built a camera gadget that creates 500+ megapixel stills, the digitiler.  I'm taking a small video break :)  

10 hours ago, maxotics said:

Hi @mercer I did a bunch of RAW stuff a few months ago.  I'm glad to see Andrew did another article.   Although I love the 8mm film look of the EOS-M RAW, there is too much moire, even for me (and moire doesn't really bother me that much anymore).  I found the 50D occasionally buggy--sometimes it wouldn't record.  The 7D however is a ROCK!  As Andrew said, 7D are cheap enough one shouldn't bother with the 50D.  I also found MLVProduer to make working with RAW super-easy. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mlvproducer/ I just load the 7D RAW file in it, grade, export to H.264 4:2:2 and good enough for me! I wish I had some creative film ideas to do with the EOS-M, but I don't.  I'd love to see 12-bit for the 7D.  My initial experience with it on the EOS-M is that it looks damn good.  However, the 7D doesn't have an official ML build as it is, so no idea when 12-bit will happen for it.  Anyway, I'm trying to do more stuff with 8-bit.  It saddens me that the 1080 out of the A6300 isn't as good as the 4K downscaled.  However, the 4K from the A6300 is beautifully clean.  I've also picked up a C100 and I love that too, but it's big!  As Andrew said in another article, small cameras are necessary to get creative on your lonesome ;)  Anyway, I've been around.  I built a camera gadget that creates 500+ megapixel stills, the digitiler.  I'm taking a small video break :)  

That's an interesting post here, thank you for sharing.

Just wanna ask about your experience with the 7D compared to the 50D.
On this forum post  ( https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9878.0 ) they say the 50D has less moire than the 7D. Can you confirm that ?

I was about to grab a Eos-M to use as a B-cam for my 50D but now I'm worried about moire. It is not bad with the 50D, I noticed it only once and had to change the object on set that was causing moire, but now I'll have to see if I can find comparisons between the EOS-M and 50D/7D

As for 10-12 bit, it is currently unavailable on digic IV cameras (5D2?, 7D, 50D) but there is some progress being done. Magic lantern just needs more devs :)

That thread began 3 years ago.  I didn't notice a difference between the 50D and 7D except the 7D records sound with RAW too.  I wouldn't use an EOS-M as a b-cam because the resolution is just too low in non-crop and in crop mode you need a super wide lens to start and if you use 10-20mm to get image stabilization there is the "shutter bug" and it's 720p.  Here's some footage I shot with 50D and EOS-M.  Sorry that I didn't fill the frame with the EOS-M footage, but I didn't have time to do a good job on that video, or most of my videos ;)

And here with 7D

I'm seeing so many cheap 7Ds now I'd find a way to upgrade from your 50D to two of those.   There are so many benefits to the 7D.  It also shoots H.264 and records audio.  The audio alone is worth it just to make syncing easy.  The menus are faster.  Everything is just powerful compared to the 50D, it felt to me.

I've also had a couple of BMPCCs.  And though they're smaller, and the built in ProRes is nice, I prefer the greater DOF I can get with the 7D.  Also, the resolution difference between the 7D and 5DIII is really small.  I can't tell the difference.  Again, the 7D is a MONSTER RAW camera in my opinion.  I paid $400 for the body, $250 for the Sigma lens and $50 for the card a few months ago.  Amazing what one can put together for $700 now!