Canon 6d mark 2 it´s official

Eduardo Granadsztejn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Not really, it shows they rather have 4K than a popup flash :)

Not really. If you look the poll under you see many people not buying 6D and many actually like leaving canon. Like me, even if I already left haha

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I bet the lenses are locking him into Canon.

AF with the Metabones adapter is still very hit and miss for me.

Bingo... Too many Canon lenses.. I had the Metabones for like 2 months and your right. Very hit or miss... Then i had a bag stolen from my truck that included that Metabones... And because it wasn't that great to begin with i dont feel like purchasing another one! :) Probably dumb rationale... But hey...

Pixel binning make the image soft, but not that much soft. Probably its not a " analog 2x2 to 3k > digitally downsampled to 2k" scenario. 

I understand they don't want to drop a NX1-like bomb and then gain nothing financial-wise. But cirppling a popular camera for the sake of having a healthy upgrade path is dangerous. Without your loyal customers its more likely to become a Switching Path. 

I am also, like all of you guys, disappointed with video capabilities of 6D2 (also using 80Ds AF points array in FF camera which makes it too narrow in viewfinder is also big no no for stills, they should better use 7D2 65 points system and spread it wider over sensor), but my biggest frustration with this camera is that same old soft 1080p. If they had sharp crisp, high bitrate 1080p I wouldn't care at all about 4K as even now, for me 4K serves for cropping and exporting to good quality 1080p.

Now thinking about this, was there ever Canon DSLR with good quality (sharp) 1080p (besides RAW ML) ?

3 hours ago, Milan Karolic said:

Now thinking about this, was there ever Canon DSLR with good quality (sharp) 1080p (besides RAW ML) ?

The 1DC has very sharp/detailed 1080p in Super35 mode.

For online streaming delivery, even the 5D3 was sharp enough in 1080p with a little bit of post-sharpening (I shot this 5 years ago):

When shooting people, especially close ups, you really don't want a razor sharp image anyway. If you need something really sharp for wide shots, there are plenty of options from Sony and Panasonic (typically you shoot 4K at around 100Mbps and downsample to 1080p in post). Canon's 4K (C300 II and 1DX II) isn't razor sharp either, neither with enough photosites to capture full 4K resolution. However, it's much better than 1080p, and both can provide pleasing, filmic looks.

Here's the 1DX II in full frame 1080p, 24-105 F4L lens, Rode NTG2*, handheld and post stabilized and sharpened in PP CC:

This was shot using my custom Filmic Skin picture profile, with very minor tweaks in post using Lumetri. For YouTube delivery, especially for medium to close up shots, all Canon's DSLRs can look good with a little post sharpening.

* I think it's time to retire the Rode NTG2 for these kinds of shots. I have better mics however they all require phantom power (much better at side-noise rejection). That's another aspect of DSLR shooting: we need a preamp to get decent audio quality (wireless is another option). Here again, Sony and Panasonic provide factory add-on hot-shoe solutions.

On 30/06/2017 at 5:48 AM, Cinegain said:

Basically the 5DmkII and 550D/T2i were happy accidents. Like, what really have they been doing since? DualPixel AF... that's about the only thing they have to show for. They're just milking that early success all they can. And to be honest, if I were a company and could get away with that... people still running to the stores to get one of my cameras, I probably as well would keep putting in minimum effort. Problem is that people are so invested into the system they have blinders on. Their customers are enabling Canon's behaviour. I'd say it's bad for the market in general.

Exactly. I wish more people would realise this.

Heck, the 50D was capable of video and even had a microphone designed in it for video. But Canon didn't go ahead with it.

Was only the Nikon D90 which finally *forced* Canon to add video to their next DSLRs.

Perhaps now the D500 & D7500 (& the next D5x00 update?? & the D750 mk2? Plus of course the D900 will have 4K) has got 4K, then that will finally force Canon to bring out 4K to their future camera releases.

Once again, it is Nikon (not Canon) who is leading the slow push forward with DSLR innovations.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Exactly. I wish more people would realise this.

Heck, the 50D was capable of video and even had a microphone designed in it for video. But Canon didn't go ahead with it.

Was only the Nikon D90 which finally *forced* Canon to add video to their next DSLRs.

Perhaps now the D500 & D7500 (& the next D5x00 update?? & the D750 mk2? Plus of course the D900 will have 4K) has got 4K, then that will finally force Canon to bring out 4K to their future camera releases.

Once again, it is Nikon (not Canon) who is leading the slow push forward with DSLR innovations.

Olympus really surprised me with the E-M1 Mark II, I must say. They might've been early adopters of mirrorless, sensor stabilization and touchscreen, but the E-M1 felt very stills focused... it was almost as if they didn't want their flagship camera to be known for great video. So, they released the E-M5 Mark II which was supposed to redefine the E-M5 line-up to be for the video crowd, remember that press release with bold statements like that it was to shoot 'professional cinema quality movies' with, not even once mentioning the word 'video'. Well... people weren't all too into that. So I for sure was... well the E-M1 Mark II will probably get no love in that area, possibly not even 4K, they're going hardcore stills mode. But they did give it 4K. They put a vari-angle touchscreen on a weather sealed body, dual cardslots, both mic-in ánd headphone ports even and it's not even in need of important firmware updates that you'd see earliest 2 years down the road... it looks amazing, I really like the modern retro approach, awesome hardware, is killing it on stills features, has super effective sensor stabilization... apart from the fullsize HDMI the GH5 hasn't got much on it.

I mean... doesn't get much better than that. It does get a little pricey... and you have that small ass sensor performance, but I'm like: if non of the APS-C cameras keep up with a body and features like that, then for me MFT is still the way to go. Plus, you have a superb choices for affordable B/C cams. Not only don't I like the A6500 as a camera body and APS-C system (after all, what's the use without an actively developed compact lens system to support it? (aside from heat issues, rolling shutter, screen dimming etc)), but what would you roll as a B cam to that? a RX10(0)? Suddenly dropping to 1" fixed lens. Dunno about that. Lumix has seen many 4K options now: GH4, G7, GX8, GX85, G85, GX800 and now the GH5. 4/3" interchangeable lens system cameras in all kind of sizes and prizes. Lots of Olympus alternatives as well, and like Olympus even Fujifilm seems to break their traditional approach, I mean, no sensor stabilization or frontfacing touchscreen, but they're even offering a LOG option. And like you said, even Nikon is starting to embrace 4K. Not sure how much longer Canon can afford to play stupid, at some point even the loyal following must get pissed by the lack of progression...

As every year passes by, it seems that Canon falls another 11 and a half months behind.

This is why I encourage other people not to buy Canon lenses, as (even if you're "OK" with Canon's  current state of development vs the competition...  Seriously??) do you in six year time want to feel "stuck with" system than has only inched forward with quarter of a year's worth of progress?

On 02/07/2017 at 0:23 PM, gelaxstudio said:

a headphone jack...

I see lots of complaining about headphone jacks. Do people use those? My a6300 doesn't have one and I've never plugged a headphone into one. Even when I'm using an external recorder, I just tend to look at the level monitors instead. But I always see that complaint everywhere, like people actually use them?

41 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

I see lots of complaining about headphone jacks. Do people use those? My a6300 doesn't have one and I've never plugged a headphone into one. Even when I'm using an external recorder, I just tend to look at the level monitors instead. But I always see that complaint everywhere, like people actually use them?

Someone here said I shouldn't use analogies to audio when discussing video, but recording sound by just looking at the level meters is a bit like shooting video while just looking at the histogram. You've been lucky so far, just like those who've never had an SD card fail on them. My G85 doesn't have a headphone jack either, but there've been a couple of occasions I wish it had, like when I noticed some crackling noises from the lav mic while editing that I didn't catch while recording on location.

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Someone here said I shouldn't use analogies to audio when discussing video

Whoever that was is going to be apoplectic when I post my upcoming essay "Canon and Nikon as viewed through the prism of the template for competing Japanese technology duopolies established during the transition from analogue to digital synthesisers in the period 1979-1987"

Well, pentaprism at least.

Anyhoo....

If you want to monitor audio from your camera but it doesn't have a headphone jack then a little lateral thought will get you here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B016I34422/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1499264817&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor

Plug this into the HDMI socket and it will extract the audio to a 3.5mm jack socket at which point you can then use a similarly cheap and small battery headphone amp to monitor it with or if you want to be all fancy and wireless you could use a Bluetooth transmitter like this which are all over amazon for about £12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018YU3VVC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499265402&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=battery+powered+bluetooth+transmitter&dpPl=1&dpID=41aHuVS8uuL&ref=plSrch

Good thing about this - apart from sticking it to the man and not having to buy the next model up to get such a fundamental feature - is that you are listening post the camera taking it in. External pre-amps are good by offering you headphone monitoring but its before the camera has taken it in so can give you a false sense of security.

21 hours ago, hmcindie said:

The level meters looked fine before I began recording. Since I vlog, I don't wear headphones while recording, but if I used a solution like the one BTM_Pix linked to, at least I could monitor the recording when I'm done and do it over if need be.

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The level meters looked fine before I began recording. Since I vlog, I don't wear headphones while recording, but if I used a solution like the one BTM_Pix linked to, at least I could monitor the recording when I'm done and do it over if need be.

Use a small Bluetooth earpiece and you can monitor it live with those two bits I linked to Jon. You don't have to wear it all the time (unless you wanted the 'And now over to our correspondent in Vietnam' effect!) but just pop it on as you go into record for a quick confidence check.

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Use a small Bluetooth earpiece and you can monitor it live with those two bits I linked to Jon. You don't have to wear it all the time (unless you wanted the 'And now over to our correspondent in Vietnam' effect!) but just pop it on as you go into record for a quick confidence check.

I knew you would have a solution for that too. :) I probably won't be able to find what I need in Vietnam, but if it's under $50 or so, customs here shouldn't be able to rip me off too much. Not sure what happened, but my friend has some bluetooth device for listening to her phone on a speaker, so there might have been some interference. BTW, this isn't the first time not being able to monitor the audio has caused me headaches. I recorded a pretty long vlog, no way did I want to redo it, and when I listened to the audio during the edit, I realized there was a hum from the air conditioner, which I'd forgotten to turn off. So I'd strongly recommend monitoring audio. And yes, it's kind of chintzy of manufacturers to omit something that probably costs just a few pennies. If they sold a monitor that wasn't shiite here in VN that accepted 4K out, 5", 1280X720p, with a waveform scope, false color and a headphone jack, I'd use that, since I really can't use the crappy focus peaking on my G85 when shooting with my Voigtlander. I might take another trip abroad just to buy something like that.