Canon 6d mark 2 it´s official

Eduardo Granadsztejn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

We've waited 5 years and have got...

Swivel screen

Dual Pixel AF

Probably no moire fix.

Erm, that's it!

The HDR footage in the side by side non-HDR/HDR footage posted by Canon on YouTube shows horrible blotching. They are going to need to patch that I think, or the HDR mode will be of minimal use.

16 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I understand what you mean, your point and why you are upset. But to many still photographers the above line simply isn't true.

What they got is,

• New 26.2-megapixel CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 7 image processor
  • ISO 40,000 from 32,000
  • Dual Pixel autofocusing system
  • 45 cross-type autofocus points at its disposal, a step up from the 6D’s paltry 11.
  • 6.5 frames per second, but there’s a short runway there: the maximum burst is 21 frames for RAW photos, and 150 for JPEGs.
  • Touchscreen
  • Swivel
  • Weather resistant
  • Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth, and GPS radios.
  • And Canon’s done all this while only adding a few grams to the original weight of the 6D.

I can name 5 pro photographers just among my closest friends that would choose a simple thing as weather sealing over 4K any day of the week.
This isn't the next video marvel. It never was. It never wanted to.
The 6D wasn't anything to write home about regarding video, so why would this?
Its like being upset about the lack of video features in a X100f or Leica M9.
Its not supposed to have that.

The 6D2 is not weather sealed. It is intended to appeal to people who want to look like they have a 5D4, but can't afford one, and are willing to give up the bells and whistles for that appearance.

A lot of pro photographers shoot video as well as stills, so this camera will be a fail for them. Not that any pro would choose a 6D over a 5D anyway, it is pretty much a camera for amateurs.

The Sony engineers developing the a7III series must be high fiving over the champers bottles right now!!

Just doesn't cut it.

id be the first to say Just LOOK at the 1080p image though – its AMAZZiinnggg

but its not: its TERRIBLE. i actually cannot believe how bad it is

far beyond the discussion of 4k or not in this particular body, its $2k in 2017 and the HD looks like shit

pathetic

• Administrators

Well the only advantages to the 6D Mark II over the 5D3 are the articulated screen and Dual Pixel AF, and these are very nice indeed but if it doesn't have the image quality or features to back this up, then shooting video on it is a pointless endeavour compared to other similarly priced cameras.

The stock 5D Mark III image has been dead for a long time in the video community and the only reason we still use it is because of Magic Lantern raw, so if you're going to get a 5D Mark III instead of a 6D Mark II, you're not going to get it for the stock image quality in video mode, you're going to get it for raw, and if you don't like the raw workflow and file sizes or the idea of running a hack, then you're not going to be considering a Canon for video - you'll be better off with a different brand.

There's always a used 1D C potentially - but it's still not up to the ergonomic convenience for video of the GH5, E-M1 II and countless others and it remains quite pricey.

I think there must be something wrong with my eyes because I still kinda like the soft, organic look of Canon 1080p. I think the 1DC has the best 4K image around, specifically at its price point or lower, and I think the 1080p out of a hacked GH2 looks better than any of the new Panny 4K.

Sorry I keep going on about this, but I am utterly surprised and I can't understand why hacked GH2 video looks better and more organic, to me, than the 4K from the GH5. Obviously the GH5 has more resolution, is sharper, has way better features, but there's gotta be a technical reason the GH2 videos look so filmic and more organic to my eyes?

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry I keep going on about this, but I am utterly surprised and I can't understand why hacked GH2 video looks better and more organic, to me, than the 4K from the GH5. Obviously the GH5 has more resolution, is sharper, has way better features, but there's gotta be a technical reason the GH2 videos look so filmic and more organic to my eyes?

Well you just like soft images. Nothing wrong with that. 
How much do you like this one ? :blush:

jack-russell-blurred-1200x630.jpg

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I think the 1080p out of a hacked GH2 looks better than any of the new Panny 4K.

I think it's very hard to judge the image quality of the GH5 going off the user videos on Youtube and Vimeo. The majority of footage is exceptionally poor, and this is down to bad exposure, poor lighting, missed focus, crap compositions and pretty awful grading. It's understandable as I guess many beginners have picked up the camera and are giving it a go. 

With the GH2, it's more "seasoned" and therefore has a history of better skilled hands on the camera. 

I don't think there's any excuse for the 6D II video quality - other than the fact Canon certainly and absolutely want video shooters using their C-series cameras. I think everyone has to finally concede that Canon will never be a serious option for DSLR video anymore. Never. 

Not really a deal breaker for me.. Since I already use a A7sII and A7Rii for video... I am in BAD need of a upgrade in my "photo" side.. Since I am still using a 7dmk1.  I will probably rarely touch the video side of the 6dmk2... The 5dmk4 is just too expensive for the amount of use i would get out of it these days.. (might have been different 10 years ago).. But not now...  

So I am probably the market that this camera is aiming for. Not professionals or "serious hobbyist" who are trying to make a Camry into a Benz.....

4 hours ago, Curtis Ross said:

Not really a deal breaker for me.. Since I already use a A7sII and A7Rii for video... I am in BAD need of a upgrade in my "photo" side.. Since I am still using a 7dmk1.  I will probably rarely touch the video side of the 6dmk2... The 5dmk4 is just too expensive for the amount of use i would get out of it these days.. (might have been different 10 years ago).. But not now...  

So I am probably the market that this camera is aiming for. Not professionals or "serious hobbyist" who are trying to make a Camry into a Benz.....

Just curious but what do you find wrong with the Sony's for photos?

To me the original A7s is a MUCH better camera for stills for most things than the Canon 7D I had and the same with the original A7 let alone the A7Rii you have access to.

The original A7 was more than I needed for photos and I also prefer my now aging Panasonic GX7 to the 7D.          I can not think of any reason I would prefer the 6Dii to the any of the 24mp or higher Sony FF cameras in terms of image quality or the A7s at higher ISO's that I use often.

The A7Rii in particular, well I can not get how you would not use that for photos over this new Canon.

Possibly but even with the slow AF with my various adapters on an A7s and previous A7, I like how many of my Canon lenses work on Sony and manual focus ones like the Canon tilt shifts are to my mind better on FF mirrorless than on any Canon currently (that may change when Canon brings out a FF mirrorless).

I also use Canon on m43 and the AF with the Kipon adapter is very fast for AFS for stills (no good for video on an GX7 anyway).

When I had the Canon 7D, the only thing it could do is AF faster with Canon lenses but even then it was less accurate and a lens like the 135 f2 L would be nice in close but very hit and miss at longer distances which would often negate faster AF.

If I was shooting sports and things that need fast AFC with long lenses, then Canon makes more sense but maybe not this new camera so much.      Might be better off with a smaller sensor camera then anyway.

EDIT I have a couple of native Sony lenses for when I want faster AF but I also like that while AF is AFS only and slow with my A7s, it still works with Canon lenses in light lower than they would with any current Canon DSLR and works with Canon APSC lenses in FF mode (some without vignetting in part) and one of my cheap AF adapters also has a spot that takes cheap 43mm filters that I can use with all my Canon lenses (and save a fortune with the 17mm TS-E which otherwise needs a filter holder anyway and 150mm filters).

Back on topic, I kinda wish the 6d ii had been mirrorless.

6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

http://www.canonrumors.com/poll-what-do-you-think-about-the-eos-canon-6d-mark-ii/

A poll asking biggest grip on 6D. Please vote for 4K and show Canon what we think. 

Done and done.

Though I don't think the issue is THIS camera not having 4k, I think it is that NO Canon cameras have 4k other than higher level.

If I go to a large chain electronic retail store later and look, I will bet that there will be more Canon cameras there than any others but NONE of them will have 4k but there will be plenty of others that do from cheap to moderate (nothing high end).

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I bet the lenses are locking him into Canon.

AF with the Metabones adapter is still very hit and miss for me.

I'm fairly deep into finishing this follow focus system and I'm finding the Metabones sending strange values back to the Panasonic every few moves which may or may not explain some things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite surprised (and reasonably excited) that its working at all with non native lenses but the Metabones is rough as fuck sometimes when I'm trying to get it to locate.

Which version of the Metabones have you got out of interest?

• Administrators

Canon Rumors is a general-audience Canon site with no emphasis on video, yet their poll currently shows 36% of photographers are angry about the lack of 4K.

That's a huge amount of people.

Although 9000 voted so far in that particular poll, if you extrapolate that 36% to 36% of Canon's total sales, they are in the shit.

Why piss off over a third of your customers?

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Which version of the Metabones have you got out of interest?

I have the Mk IV with latest firmware!

Sometimes, with certain lenses, the AF can be pretty good... It's more the random reliability that kills it, along with the low light AF.

It was a big reason behind me sticking with the 1D C and 1D X Mark II for stills work.