Best drone shot ever?

Hans Punk

I'm sure this is up there with some of the most impressive single take drone shots I've seen for a while, carried out by a very talented pilot using a micro FPV drone and great use of Reelsteady software. Use of reverse playback and sound design makes it even more impressive...

making of...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

Impressive, but flying without line of sight is downright reckless.

Normally would totally agree, but these FPV type drones are so damn small and lightweight that they are less likely to cause damage when flying at lower speeds...they often don't break their own propeller blades after considerable impact. It could be argued that the line of sight safety is less of an issue when plugged into headset that gives such an accurate onboard view (and best if you use a spotter to warn of objects outside your view). These things can hit crazy speeds which is obviously where they become dangerous around people, but for relative slow and precise moves from a skilled operator, the results are totally amazing and dynamic....way better than the average boring footage from mid-sized drones IMHO. Here is the same guy taking footage in and out of his apartment...totally reminds me of the CG flying photogrammetry camera shots in Fight Club.

https://vimeo.com/208621970

Yeah I would love to puzzle one like this together myself. It looks like a aurora 90 racer with a stripped gopro 4, and some cushion on it for safe crashing).
- aurora => 200€
- gopro 4 used => 250€
- remote => 200€
- FPV goggles => 400€
Give or take, a total of => 1050€. That might be a bit much for me to just use it for fun. :)

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Is it obstacle avoidance software that allows him to keep from hitting everything in his apartment or what? 

Nope just good piloting. But these small rigs are much easier to fly inside than a big drone obviously, they are actually super fun and cheap, lots of my friends do the same.

Well, they had drones in formation performing tricks and stuff years ago, so I sorta thought that with telemetry 'n stuff they had made a motion control system from an aerial platform and programmed the whole thing. At first glance I thought the birds were flying forwards, not backwards as well. Guess in reality it was more hacky sack skilled flying and tons of post. Superbly done though.

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Best drone shot ever would be the one that was most cleverly utilized in a film or commercial. 

What's up with the funky distortion?

I admit I was being a little facetious with my clickbatey topic title...but perhaps no worse than 'guess the camera' posts :) I should have opened up the topic more, to ask people to post their favourite drone shot...and why. I often am left cold by drone shots, but this is the first one that somehow engaged me.

I do think this example is valid, (even though it is not from a commercial or film) since it has an interesting narrative idea that could be expanded upon. Using a soundscape/ audio clips from relevant events from the location seems to act as a clever companion to the cameras journey...giving a visual overview combined with audio echo's from the past.

Funky distortion is no doubt introduced from Reelsteady software...but it seems to produce results far better than Adobe's inbuilt warp stabiliser from what I've seen online. Check the second video (making of) to see the original footage, it is pretty darn impressive what the software has corrected.