Max bitrates and does the NX1 hack actually reduce macro blocking?

Andrew Reid

I've just received a new Lexar SDHC UHS II 2000x 300MB/s card, and it seems to not work well. even at standard NX1 bitrate settings, it gives me max record times of just over 7 minutes a clip. I bought the 32GB to test things out because it was cheaper (they're quite pricey cards), and the only difference I can see between the 32GB and the larger (64/128GB) cards is that the 32GB is SDHC and the others are SDXC. Is that what is causing my issues? My (ancient from GH2 hack days) Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will record straight on through in one long clip until the card is full. Am I missing something?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

I've just received a new Lexar SDHC UHS II 2000x 300MB/s card, and it seems to not work well. even at standard NX1 bitrate settings, it gives me max record times of just over 7 minutes a clip. I bought the 32GB to test things out because it was cheaper (they're quite pricey cards), and the only difference I can see between the 32GB and the larger (64/128GB) cards is that the 32GB is SDHC and the others are SDXC. Is that what is causing my issues? My (ancient from GH2 hack days) Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will record straight on through in one long clip until the card is full. Am I missing something?

I suspect that the card is formatted in FAT32, this limits file sizes. The consensus appears to be that formatting the card via your computer to exFAT is best for the NX1, it certainly is the case with my Lexar cards.

Ah yes, that makes sense! The "X" stands for "eXtended", aka long recording. Which of course is marketing jargon for "this card is exFAT and can therefore handle larger file sizes." Which also means SDHC cards are the alternative format: FAT32. Some cameras auto-bridge long clips as multiple continuously recorded files, but it's probably becoming old-hat to support that. It really only matters to video users, not to photo users at all.

I'll reformat the card as suggested and report back for the sake of anyone reading this later looking for an answer to the same puzzle.

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2017 at 7:54 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I am enjoying shooting 160MBit H.265 with the hack. What's the highest people have got out of it for continuous recording?

Can people summarise the best cards?

Also does it actually reduce macro blocking and banding over large low contrast areas of the image. So far in my experience it doesn't but I await to be proved wrong :)

Would like to see your tests and will feature the best on the front page blog.

220Mbps 4k

400Mbps 1080 all frame rates (hack won't go higher)

Card:

https://www.adorama.com/idsdxpu264.html

Everything manual and no sound. 

I functionally use 180Mbps so I can keep files manageable in size and not tax the camera too hard and also use features and sound. Pleased with the results. 

I don't know about macroblocking, but it definitely feels like I can push black levels in lumentri a bit more before they break. That alone is enough for me to accept the extra file size of 180Mbps. (And it's a huge difference vs. 80Mbps native) 

One caveat, I had to update my computer system (Nvidia 1080 ti) to play the clips in Premeire on full preview. Before I did this, I couldn't even get smooth playback on 1/4. HEVEC is a beast codec to decode, but packs the same quality as Prores 444 HQ and 1/2 the size. 

Still haven't gotten Divinci Resolve to play nicely with HEVEC. All I ever get is just sound, which tells me it's corrupting the decoding process. 

4 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

Nope, I have a 128GB Lexar card. I think its 2000x but can't remember for sure and I use it all the time.

I always format my cards in camera.

Well sob! Ive been lied to! ?

29 minutes ago, BopBill said:

Did you know that HEVC works only in paid Studio version of Resolve?

Yes, and it's still not working for me. I tried it a few weeks ago, so I'll try again. I really want it to work.