Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!

deezid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

That first video does not look particularly "cinematic" to my eyes. Many blown highlights, underexposed subjects and poor framing. I'm going to replace the word "cinematic" with what it really means... "good cinematography", that is to say, shot by someone who understands the art of cinematography... which is defined as the art of making motion pictures. There is no camera setting at normal playback speed that will do this for you. Light you subjects, compose your shots, have purpose to your camera movements. All should support your story. 

The second video is again mostly all slow motion, save for one scene that last only a couple of seconds. 

The title is correct... the GH5 can look quite cinematic... but as we have seen demonstrated time and time again... so can a smartphone. But only if the shooter understands the art of cinematography. At this point in the game it's not the cameras that are lacking, it's the users. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

That first video does not look particularly "cinematic" to my eyes. Many blown highlights, underexposed subjects and poor framing. I'm going to replace the word "cinematic" with what it really means... "good cinematography", that is to say, shot by someone who understands the art of cinematography... which is defined as the art of making motion pictures. There is no camera setting at normal playback speed that will do this for you. Light you subjects, compose your shots, have purpose to your camera movements. All should support your story. 

The second video is again mostly all slow motion, save for one scene that last only a couple of seconds. 

The title is correct... the GH5 can look quite cinematic... but as we have seen demonstrated time and time again... so can a smartphone. But only if the shooter understands the art of cinematography. At this point in the game it's not the cameras that are lacking, it's the users. 

I fully agree anyways. Even about the first test between the bad (subject, as for instance) and good (also a couple of shots can show us there's way beyond under underexposed techniques included) without mention where production values for the second example can really be not embarrassed by the camera used by the shooter anymore: it's all about potentiality.

Not exactly the course that has been done but where it can be done. That's precisely the point. When it's not the device anymore to limit your craft : ) Oh yes, good cinematography is midway to that path.

I find the title of this thread could be potentially misleading. Already with average micro/low budget production values it is easier than ever before to shoot cinematic images with

this camera, the same would go for the G85. For the footage of flowers, I can tell that GH5 is able to capture images in a variety of lighting conditions, I would

consider it as adequate test footage. The footage of the young woman above shows a blueprint for pleasing but also predictable framing and slomo pace, showing off the

capabilities of a well liked specific muted look of an turkis gold color palette, as I would call it. A lot of this classic subject has been shot with the GH2 for testing

the beautiful look of anamorphic.

I would like a new thread gathering legit short films done with the GH5. There was an early GH4 video showing off a super clean digital look

being some of the most cinematic footage to me done with a hybrid camera. Maybe I can find it again

I think its the kind of predictability of successfully and realiablilly reaching the desired effect of their efforts. It does not exlclude surprises and variety:)

By the way, I enjoyed the video. It´s just with that technique any camera from Canon 550D on will do a good job. A DVX100 would do too, interlaced on interlaced

displays would do a good job as well for the desired effect.

Heck, the GH5 is a true cinema camera! I think it´s massive quality in almost every aspect.

A big leap in quality. I shot my shortfilm with it this weekend, in REC 709, 1080p, 8bit and it´s still looking really impressive too my eyes.

It´s a 10bit cinema beast and a C300 MK1 run and gun 1080p machine plus slo mo. All for 1800 USD with great IBIS and battery life

and rolling shutter. To cameras for the price of one! And a great photo tool as well.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

No need to go to the movie theater... at all.

Well, that would be too much, watching 90min of wedding videos in a theater. The videos above are very romantic. But

after a while I feel an urge that I want to hug someone myself so I have to leave the computer behind:)

Like I said GH5 is a real movie camera. So title of this thread should be: The GH5 is a real movie camera. Oh, didn´t I just say that? :)

Btw, I really like this one. I even wrote the filmer but never received an answer. The vimeo account doesn´t seem to get checked much:(

For the educational purposes with reassuring effect, aaahem:), I must say, a very specific technique is used in the weddings above, among a number of aspects of visuality of course.

I would call this approach the moving 2seconds photographs. It is very interesting to see what one can do with it, honoring

the tools and craft. Have to rewatch Oskar and Ellie again. One of the best wedding videos I´ve seen. Despite the music though :)

Of course, I don´t watch wedding videos too much or do I? ;)

I think the main idea when discussion like this come up is that many shooters want to emulate cinema style production "on the fly," or documentary run-n-gun style.

It's tricky but doable.  

This look is accomplished with shooting skill first and foremost. 

You know, things like understanding how to use natural light, framing, sequence shooting, dolly emulation, etc.

As mentioned, any recent camera will do.  Some tools give one a bit more post production flexibility, but it really just comes down to the shooter's decisions on location.

And, yeah, an easy initial trick is to do slow-mo with a long lens and shallow DOF... but that's only a starting point...

@PannySVHS, you're on the spot : ) and we live cinematic days from Walmart toys... *cough cough*

Real movie cam, yeah, seems more appropriate to call them so, when the results are beyond any screen requirements.

BTW, speaking of big-big-screen, a dozen years ago, in a Master Class with Tonino Guerra, the great master had all his eggs for the future of motion pictures in those 'cineprese giapponesi'... His words when he pointed one of the attendants with one of those consumer digital cams in his hands filming his lecture.

Nice to see he stands fully right ;-)

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

BTW, speaking of big-big-screen, a dozen years ago, in a Master Class with Tonino Guerra, the great master had all his eggs for the future of motion pictures in those 'cineprese giapponesi'... His words when he pointed one of the attendants with one of those consumer digital cams in his hands filming his lecture.

Nice to see he stands fully right ;-)

Tonino Guerra.... screenwriter of most of my fav. movies! <3
"L'ottimismo è il profumo della vita!" (Cit.)

When the GH3 just came out, I bought it on the day of release. I have used it for weddings till the GH5 came out, and replaced the GH3 with that. For years I was one of the few people who shot weddings profesionally with GHx camera's. Also, I was one of the first people who used a Speed Booster and a Sigma 18-35. Bought both of the those in the month after their release.
For years I had a bit of a 'unique' look to my films.

Now it seems like 90% of the people who bought a GH5 are using it for weddings. And also use the Speed Booster and the Sigma 18-35. I guess the moment has arrived when the playing field is leveled. Like in photography, where 99% of photographers use a full frame DSLR (Canon 5Dx or Nikon Dx). The moment has come that my gear is no longer 'added value' and we're all playing the same game.

I knew this moment would come. I just thought it would be a bit later when / if Canon would ever release a 5D which would actually have a good video mode.

1 hour ago, dbp said:

A bit off topic, but man I feel like wedding videos are becoming more about the videographer than the couple.  Pretty stock footage and staged shots. Where's the friendships, memories, connections with people? 

Doesn't matter for most wedding clients. The stuff is manufactured and augmented fantasy...people want to look idealized. 

If you get a director that can tap into the other stuff too, you've hired a winner. 

But that's such a savvy skill to have.  Anyone THAT good is most likely doing real work. --probably ain't spending weekends making brides look glam. 

Some wedding stuff is well thought out. Some of them have a nice mix and balance of film grammar and are not only nicely laid out but also well executed.

Of course one can find it to be Kitsch, because it has to be, just like dating movies. Well done eye candy. But too much candy starts to become a bad thing in the stomach.

So you guys, stop watching strangers´ wedding videos. You are takin the bandwidth so I cannot watch them before I go to bed and dream.

Brides will always look glam, which is a good as long as they don´t start to look alike and get mixed up ;)

I still don´t like the threads name. Deezid does great work and color work with the Lumix cams, so of course he can make it cinematic.

Nobody questioned this. The GH5 in the right hands can be a cinema camera more than anything in the price range up to 6000 USD.

LS300 does not have the IBIS nor the nice EVF and Display, nor 10bit.