Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!

deezid

2 hours ago, Bizz said:

Great video deezid! This video is so good in so many ways that is surprising that the first thing that cross the mind of some ppl is that "the blacks are crushed". If thats the first thing that someone wants to say about this video its says more about "you" than the maker (or the piece). Even if i think that the blacks should be "less crushed" (wich i also do, but thats not the point) thats the last thing i think after i saw i video like this. But hey....thats me.

The composition is what jumped out to me. The shots look amazing to me especially the center weighted shots

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, deezid said:

Shot on the GH5 in 3 days. A concept trailer done having a zero budget for our upcoming first feature film.
I really like what I can squeeze out of the internal 10 bit V-Log footage. DR, lowlight and colors are really good.

Everything was shot with sharpening and nr set to -5 and a Tiffen Black Pro Mist filter applied in front of the lens (12-35mm 2.8 V1, 20mm 1.7, 42.5mm 1.7) to make it smoother. Colorgrading done in Davinci Resolve. Drone shots by the DJI Mavic (the internal sharpening is hideous tbh...).

Great work! I love the concept and the cinematography!
On my iMac the shadows are not crushed with Gamma 1.8, they become crushed with Gamma 2.2.

I just buy the GH5 (I come from GH4 and G7), it is great but I have to shoot a little to appreciate more the V-LogL.

Some questions if it is possible:

- How did you move the camera (for instance at 00:35)? Gimbal, steadycam?
- How did you rack focus with those lenses (the scene from 2:12 to 2:15 i.e.)?
- How did you shot (or make the VFX) at 1:23?
- How do you expose the V-LogL?
- Is the Mavic a good all-round drone to buy? I'm thinking to buy it but I'm not a pilot, so I hope it it quite easy to operate it. I tried a Phantom 3 Advanced and a Youneec and the latter was a lot more filmic and flat, but the Mavic seems very good!

Thank you very much! :)

55 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

Great work! I love the concept and the cinematography!
On my iMac the shadows are not crushed with Gamma 1.8, they become crushed with Gamma 2.2.

I just buy the GH5 (I come from GH4 and G7), it is great but I have to shoot a little to appreciate more the V-LogL.

Some questions if it is possible:

- How did you move the camera (for instance at 00:35)? Gimbal, steadycam?
- How did you rack focus with those lenses (the scene from 2:12 to 2:15 i.e.)?
- How did you shot (or make the VFX) at 1:23?
- How do you expose the V-LogL?
- Is the Mavic a good all-round drone to buy? I'm thinking to buy it but I'm not a pilot, so I hope it it quite easy to operate it. I tried a Phantom 3 Advanced and a Youneec and the latter was a lot more filmic and flat, but the Mavic seems very good!

Thank you very much! :)

- Every movement shot was done using a gimbal (besides the drone shots)
- I pulled focus on camera(the Zhiyun crane is pretty sturdy, lol)
- That was shot on a kitchen table with green fabric as well as on the kitchen floor
- Using the integrated lut, exposed until skintones looked good (most of the shots are slightly underexposed)
- I only like the easy operation. The codec is terrible and you can either decide between way too oversharpened or blurred footage. Color science using D-Log isn't bad though...

The shadows crushed to black on the suit are particularly distracting, otherwise very impressive. I think it would benefit from tweaking those levels to be compatible with the majority of monitors. The camera manual explains the significance of the luminance options for play back. Shoutout to the actors, magnificent. 

11 hours ago, Bizz said:

Great video deezid! This video is so good in so many ways that is surprising that the first thing that cross the mind of some ppl is that "the blacks are crushed". If thats the first thing that someone wants to say about this video its says more about "you" than the maker (or the piece). Even if i think that the blacks should be "less crushed" (wich i also do, but thats not the point) thats the last thing i think after i saw i video like this. But hey....thats me.

If you even bothered to read the title of the topic, it says "Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!" As I'd already seen a number of nicely exposed and graded examples of the GH5, my expectations were pretty high, particularly when deezid is claiming to have achieved something that apparently nobody thought possible before. So yes, the first thing I noticed was that on a technical level, it comes nowhere near the level of filmmaking I'm accustomed to seeing, and falls a little short of being an exemplary piece of digital filmmaking. Lighting, WB and grading are part of the language of cinema, just as spelling and grammar are in literature: and if a book has a number of misspelled words and poor grammar, I'm probably going to put it down. There's no reason why I should have to re-calibrate my monitor when the thousands of other videos I've watched, as well as the hundreds of others I've uploaded, look good. And if a half dozen forum members say that the blacks might be a little crushed, rather than reacting defensively, deezid might take those responses into consideration and think about lifting the shadows a touch. And although this has been shot in 10 bit V-Log, because it's been underexposed, there is actually very little dynamic range in the picture - the colors are flat, there is little gradation between tones. There is another aspect that is distracting, most likely not something that can be corrected in post, and that is that not only is the image soft, but the out of focus areas and bokeh are distracting: and my eye is constantly drawn to unimportant background details rather than to the subjects.

4 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I don't understand the story but the difference on grading is night and day. Fantastic work!

Both are fantastic, but since this is about cinematic grading, I do find something to gripe about in both. Here, the shadows are washed out. We can argue about excessive use of slomos, kitsch (but forget it, I do weddings and have to keep my mouth shut!) and other aspects forever, but you never get sth. like this through a quality control screening for a cinema release. It's very distracting and unnecessary. And you can always avoid criticism by claiming it was an artistic choice. There is art, and there is craft.

13 hours ago, deezid said:

- Every movement shot was done using a gimbal (besides the drone shots)
- I pulled focus on camera(the Zhiyun crane is pretty sturdy, lol)
- That was shot on a kitchen table with green fabric as well as on the kitchen floor
- Using the integrated lut, exposed until skintones looked good (most of the shots are slightly underexposed)
- I only like the easy operation. The codec is terrible and you can either decide between way too oversharpened or blurred footage. Color science using D-Log isn't bad though...

Huge thanks for your kind answers! ;) 
I really appreciate it! 

Do you find easy to focus on the native lenses? I'm planning to buy (again) a set of native primes :)

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

If you even bothered to read the title of the topic, it says "Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!" As I'd already seen a number of nicely exposed and graded examples of the GH5, my expectations were pretty high, particularly when deezid is claiming to have achieved something that apparently nobody thought possible before. So yes, the first thing I noticed was that on a technical level, it comes nowhere near the level of filmmaking I'm accustomed to seeing, and falls a little short of being an exemplary piece of digital filmmaking. Lighting, WB and grading are part of the language of cinema, just as spelling and grammar are in literature: and if a book has a number of misspelled words and poor grammar, I'm probably going to put it down. There's no reason why I should have to re-calibrate my monitor when the thousands of other videos I've watched, as well as the hundreds of others I've uploaded, look good. And if a half dozen forum members say that the blacks might be a little crushed, rather than reacting defensively, deezid might take those responses into consideration and think about lifting the shadows a touch. And although this has been shot in 10 bit V-Log, because it's been underexposed, there is actually very little dynamic range in the picture - the colors are flat, there is little gradation between tones. There is another aspect that is distracting, most likely not something that can be corrected in post, and that is that not only is the image soft, but the out of focus areas and bokeh are distracting: and my eye is constantly drawn to unimportant background details rather than to the subjects.

Man, the word underexposed is a trigger point with you lately. Does your eye start twitching and a monotone voice repeats from your mouth... "Leeming LUT clearly states to overexpose... must overexpose..." LOL. Just joking with you. 

Just now, mercer said:

Man, the word underexposed is a trigger point with you lately. Does your eye start twitching and a monotone voice repeats from your mouth... "Leeming LUT clearly states to overexpose... must overexpose..." LOL. Just joking with you. 

It's all good.

However I will agree the blacks are crushed, but I don't mind crushed blacks every once in a while. And I can understand checking different devices and everything looks good but then when you upload it, it seems off. For instance on my computer, this is the best, most cinematic screen grab. The highlight roll off is perfect, just the right amount of contrast to add that beautiful milky sheen. Beautiful actress. And then when I uploaded it here...

IMG_1047.PNG

Seriously though, I wish there was a basic standard that could be set with all devices to obtain a simple, accurate color and image. I know we can calibrate are screens and use color checkers but then we need to hope the end user won't have their saturation bumped up too much or their contrast too high.

It really is frustrating, so I can relate.

With that being said, I liked the piece and I do think it looks cinematic and I don't care about the crushed blacks because the story seems interesting and the camera movement and composition is beautifully done.

And I am surprised this was done with the GH5 because I haven't been that impressed with it.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen some nice stuff from it, but most of the stuff I've seen shot with V-Log in 10bit looks like it could have been shot with a GX85 or G85.

16 hours ago, jonpais said:

Hahaha oh my... I don't think deezid's choice on shadow levels is equivalent to "misspelled words and poor grammar". That's a bit much.

17 hours ago, jonpais said:

oh my...

Ok.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:06 PM, Bizz said:

Same. Im glad someone else understands that it was solely an aesthetic choice and thats ok. If you want to crush blacks ? Crush them. You want to blow highlights ? Blow em...as long as it adds to the character of the image and brings you to the look you want ??‍♂️

I'm surprised at how defensive some people are about the blacks.

At first we were wondering if it was on purpose or a camera trait. Turns out it's the former, no biggie. Not like everyone's going to agree on creative factors. No different than music, art direction, editing style or anything else. 

I also don't understand why it's weird to analyze the image qualities of the GH5 in this instance, given the thread title. If it was, "hey what do you think of my movie", that's one thing. But the thread title specifically mentions the cinematic qualities of the GH5. Of course that's what we're gonna discuss! 

But we get the too cool for school crowd who scoff at paying attention to the very details the thread invites us to talk about.

Forums are strange sometimes. 

Oh damn. Gonna come at you with this: Not crushed at all on my P3 monitor. But I can tell a difference in black levels on your logo and the background (scaled box clearly visible in full screen... hard to spot on this screenshot tho). I say don't listen about the suit, but get that logo sorted :glasses:

5954649ea48a4_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_17_22PM.thumb.png.a72d0ae5cc180cb32ecd641f98a49c20.png

595465c129a17_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_27_21PM.thumb.png.69be1abf5b1187b4283128bee265b6af.png

Also, hey look it's Mount Bonnell. How'd you get it so empty?

44 minutes ago, rndmtsk said:

Oh damn. Gonna come at you with this: Not crushed at all on my P3 monitor. But I can tell a difference in black levels on your logo and the background (scaled box clearly visible in full screen... hard to spot on this screenshot tho). I say don't listen about the suit, but get that logo sorted :glasses:

5954649ea48a4_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_17_22PM.thumb.png.a72d0ae5cc180cb32ecd641f98a49c20.png

595465c129a17_ScreenShot2017-06-28at7_27_21PM.thumb.png.69be1abf5b1187b4283128bee265b6af.png

Also, hey look it's Mount Bonnell. How'd you get it so empty?

Ohhh, that's bad.
Nvm, will be fixed in the Vimeo version...

Yh, that was Mount Bonnell in Austin.
Went there at 5:30AM lol.

3 hours ago, dbp said:

I'm surprised at how defensive some people are about the blacks.

At first we were wondering if it was on purpose or a camera trait. Turns out it's the former, no biggie. Not like everyone's going to agree on creative factors. No different than music, art direction, editing style or anything else. 

I also don't understand why it's weird to analyze the image qualities of the GH5 in this instance, given the thread title. If it was, "hey what do you think of my movie", that's one thing. But the thread title specifically mentions the cinematic qualities of the GH5. Of course that's what we're gonna discuss! 

But we get the too cool for school crowd who scoff at paying attention to the very details the thread invites us to talk about.

Forums are strange sometimes. 

Since cinematic is quite different from oversharpened/denoised and realistic colors but skintones with red channel clipping (yellowish highlights) anyway...

8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Same. Im glad someone else understands that it was solely an aesthetic choice and thats ok. If you want to crush blacks ? Crush them. You want to blow highlights ? Blow em...as long as it adds to the character of the image and brings you to the look you want ??‍♂️

Remember when the trend was to leave Alexa footage all milky/washed out - it was like they used LOG, couldn't make a grading decision & so just left it (or that's how it seemed). And here we have someone who has actually put some contrast/colour into his images & people call foul - it's a real shame & a very boring position to take. Would hate to see the comments if these people ever watched an old Film Noir....

Yes, the OP is correct - this piece doesn't look like video. Really thought you'd nailed it with the shot when the woman is moving in front of the shops.

The only comment would be that there is a slight colouring inconsistency between the wide & the close up shots with the opening dancing sequence (the close ups are slightly less contrasty, but not much).