Actually you can make the GH5 look very cinematic!

deezid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@deezid

Deezid, you are an artist - and known as a guy who already got an maximum out of cameras like the plasticky GH4...

Though, I ask myself how your footage would look, if you would use a "real" cinematic camera like an affordable BMD or a 5d m3...My POV: A talented cinematographer like you would get 3 times more out of such an appropriate camera...Just my 2 cents...Congratulations again for your work!

4 hours ago, Arikhan said:

A talented cinematographer like you would get 3 times more out of an appropriate camera.

Since this work looks great already what would be improved exactly by using a different camera?  Maybe extra stops of DR or better color in some respects, but what would that really accomplish?

Lensing, composition, cinematic craft are strong already in this example.

Not being snarky here, truly interested at how images these days could be "3 times" better?

Certainly cameras can have more IQ over others, but to what end?  Would images in this sort of narrative be all that much discernible?  

(Unless you're doing some wild grade with RAW for more extreme  effects)

Aren't we to the point where it all looks good if you know what you're doing?

Really nicely shot, camera movement is beautiful.

I agree with the comments above though, blacks seem crushed and grade is crunchy at times. Not sure if that's a camera issue though, could be a stylistic choice.

I like the work, you so some nice skills here. But I must say, like many here, I hate the crushed black levels. It is almost distracting, and that can hurt the story.

53 minutes ago, anonim said:

GH5 and Voigtlander Nokton.

This whole video is in slow-mo. That might work in a trailer, or a music video, but are your actors going to be reading dialog in slow-mo? FYI: everything pretty much looks cinematic in slow-mo. The trick is getting it to look cinematic at normal playback speed.

The choice of "crushed" shadows (not really crushed, check waveform, but strong compression and pulled down to 0-3 IRE range) was an artistic one to achieve a very vibrant, dark and colorful look. ;)

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Since this work looks great already what would be improved exactly by using a different camera?  Maybe extra stops of DR or better color in some respects, but what would that really accomplish?

Lensing, composition, cinematic craft are strong already in this example.

Not being snarky here, truly interested at how images these days could be "3 times" better?

Certainly cameras can have more IQ over others, but to what end?  Would images in this sort of narrative be all that much discernible?  

(Unless you're doing some wild grade with RAW for more extreme  effects)

Aren't we to the point where it all looks good if you know what you're doing?

I honestly would love to work with a Varicam LT instead, or a GH5 with the Varicam sensor and processing, lol...
A bigger camera would limit me in many situations, but would be a great option for a way bigger budget (with assistance, another operator etc...).

3 times better wouldn't be the case, some images would profit (way better color science, better DR, better lowlight, no noisereduction nor sharpening etc...) others would be worse (this camera is just big and heavy and would therefore limit my work I guess).

I didn't have any worries about doing extreme colorgrading on the internal 10 bit GH5 footage, grades like butter without introducing any artifacts. The codec is just great and miles better than my GH4/V-Log experience tbh.

interesting screenshot. Doesn't look like that here (not on the TV, nor my calibrated REC709 screen, nor my iPad, nor my Galaxy S8 etc...).

Seems like your videoplayback levels are wrong (check your gpu settings, change to REC709 or 16-235) or try another browser.

It is definitely not crushed.

Interesting enough, it looks crushed after being uploaded here, lol...

screenshot.jpg

38 minutes ago, deezid said:

The choice of "crushed" shadows (not really crushed, check waveform, but strong compression and pulled down to 0-3 IRE range) was an artistic one to achieve a very vibrant, dark and colorful look. ;)

I think you achieved that look, some very beautiful stuff!

Aside from stylistically not having a problem with the alleged "crushed" shadows, I didn't see any problems compositionally/graphically with that either. Bear in mind that I only watched the concept trailer once, but I didn't come across a moment where I felt like I needed more information in the shadows to tell me more. We decide what we want to show, and what we want to conceal. To all the people that think you needed to show more "information in the shadows", would it be preferred to shoot the entire film with a fisheye to give the most information that way too? Maybe just do it in VR? Do a grid system to show multiple takes at the same time? Then we can have all the information :thumbsup:!!!

On a serious note though, hope the concept trailer gets you and your team the feature, it looks promising!

1 hour ago, deezid said:

interesting screenshot. Doesn't look like that here (not on the TV, nor my calibrated REC709 screen, nor my iPad, nor my Galaxy S8 etc...).

Seems like your videoplayback levels are wrong (check your gpu settings, change to REC709 or 16-235) or try another browser.

screenshot.jpg

It's definitely crushed. But nevertheless, I do like your work. Would love to see the non-color-corrected footage. 

1 hour ago, deezid said:

screenshot.jpg

I doubt anyone watching this on youtube is going to care if the shadows are crushed ?

The deep shadows were an aesthetic choice right ?

Great video deezid! This video is so good in so many ways that is surprising that the first thing that cross the mind of some ppl is that "the blacks are crushed". If thats the first thing that someone wants to say about this video its says more about "you" than the maker (or the piece). Even if i think that the blacks should be "less crushed" (wich i also do, but thats not the point) thats the last thing i think after i saw i video like this. But hey....thats me.