1DC Discontinued

Nautical

Whether its a 1DC or 1DX - it doesn't really matter.

Even if it is a 2012 camera - lets just be reminded that Mad Max Fury Road used 5D Mark 2s for crash footage and thats a 2008 camera in a 2015 film.

So, ultimately, we have to be asking ourselves, may be it isn't all about tech specs and resolution. And, I do agree about the smaller cameras allows for additional dimensions of creative freedom.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I wouldn't get worked up about it. 7Ds on technocranes were common in tv for quite a while. Granted Deakins I'm guessing would have turned down the 7D but this is more about size and convenience than it is about image quality.

But yes, it proves the 1DC is "good enough" for a sweeping wide shot being intercut with the Alexa. Which is pretty good!

"This is from the new film, and it looks like two hipsters coming out of the Berghain and home for Netflix and chai tea"

? I was looking at that shot from the trailer too and hated it, but didn't exactly know why. You summed it up. And isn't the shot from the original film looking so much better in general?

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the film myself. It looks beautiful, but it the entire thing feels... forced. It's all so polished. The original film feels so much more... tangible. I don't know what it is, but the images from the new film don't excite me. 

What I like about the original Blade Runner is not just it's cinematography but also how it has been cut.
Just take the opening scene with the Tyrell corporation building, how it cuts between interior and exterior while the camera zooms in on the interrogation room... it's very unconventional but works very well.

As this is a miniature shot i believe it's a motion control rig and they are shooting stills. In that case the videofunction would only be used for setup of the shot.

Edit: Sorry, somehow i missed page two of the conversation where this matter was already discussed.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, mkabi said:

Even if it is a 2012 camera - lets just be reminded that Mad Max Fury Road used 5D Mark 2s for crash footage and thats a 2008 camera in a 2015 film.

Well, it happens so fast you can't even possibly notice. It is a good thing the whole film wasn't shot on a 5D. 

I think I need to buy a 1DC. So damn cheap and seems so capable.