1DC Discontinued

Nautical

I agree that the 1DC is a truly special camera, but the C200's release means there won't be any 1DC II, at least not this year. It would be hard to sandwich a 1DC II between the 1DX II and C200 without undermining sales for those two cameras. As a result, Canon DSLR shooters will have to content themselves with the 5DIV or 1DXII in the meantime.

The more interesting question is what they might do with the commercial release of their 8K sensor designed for their higher-end cinema EOS cameras. Last time in 2012, the 1DC and C500 were released within a few months of one another as Canon's first 4K video offerings. Will we see a similar pattern with Canon 8K: one experimental and revolutionary DSLR and one pro cinema camera?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

8K makes sense in a DSLR only once they solve the rolling shutter issues with a 36MP frame, then it can shoot away 24fps raw stills with no moving parts and a nice EVF.

Probably beyond Canon's imagination at this point though.

Wait 10 years and they will catch up!

I always thought the 1DC was way "beyond Canon's imagination" for 2012. Well, except for the $12K+ price, which is very much part of their unique "imagination."

An 8K DSLR is possible for a price, but it will be more expensive than the original 1DC considering the current price of implementing such tech.

• Administrators

It was a 1D X with a firmware update and possibly (not sure if they were telling the truth or not), a redesigned heat sink.

That's not very imaginative.

The 1D X was just a very good camera :)

The 1D C always had to go off to a service centre for a firmware update, so Canon were probably afraid of it being modified to run on the $6000 1D X and killing their $12,000 baby.

I think the way Canon as a company have approached DSLR video since the 5D Mark II has been ludicrous.

I would imagine that the 1DX and 1DC were designed together as part of one platform, but released in a staggered way so as to maximize profits for the same product. Even Sony has become the master of this!

Moreover, this does not take away from the originality of the 1DC's approach to 4K intra-frame video using MJPEG. No other DSLR manufacturer offered internal intra-frame 4K in those early years. Combined with the 4:2:2 subsampling, large pixel pitch, and 1.3 crop factor, this accounts the 1DC/1DXII's superior image quality compared with other 8-bit DSLRs. And, just as you stated above, I even prefer its image to the C300 II in some ways.

• Administrators

Yes it's a great camera, I just wish the staggering image was backed up by a willingness at Canon to make it more usable, from a video perspective. Whereas Blackmagic had ProRes on a $800 pocket camera, Canon lumbered us with MJPEG at 500Mbit, which yes is a great image, but it's not a preference over ProRes in the eyes of anyone who uses the 1D C... They all wish it had a more convenient codec, with the same image quality or better. Indeed for the initial price of $12,000, you'd expect not just 4:2:2 but 10bit as well. The banding in 8bit can be an issue especially at low ISOs with Canon LOG.

I will keep my 1D C forever... One day, it will be a museum piece!

I'm with Andrew! I will forever keep my 1DC as it has now become a true god-like, extinct fossil. I'm STILL impressed with the IQ from this thing and it blows my mind that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Put it next to any modern cinema camera today and I'm sure you'd be impressed with the performance of it. Roger Deakins had been spotted using it in the new "Blade Runner" movie, and they have an unlimited budget! Why would they choose such an older, cheaper camera unless it had something special about it? Now is a better time than ever to pick up a used 1DC. It'll go down in history, along with the Digital Bolex, as a truly special, one of a kind camera. 

IMG_3367.PNG

The 1DC produces a gorgeous image to rival any digital cinema camera. No doubt about it. You guys are lucky to have that camera!

As for 10 bit, I don't think it would have been possible to do 4K 10 bit intraframe in a completely weather-sealed body as the 1D. There would be way too much heat generation. Unless, what you mean is that you prefer a 10 bit highly-compressed codec to MJPEG. The processing power was simply not there for such compression and Canon had not developed any internal 10 bit 4K codecs before the C300 II.

• Administrators

Blade Runner 2049, shot on the 1D C... That's exactly what I'm talking about in the recent pro camera article, they are all doing it even on mega budget feature films, because small cameras are creatively liberating and don't need babysitting as much when left unattended on some robotic arm. As you can see it has a simple LAN cable connected to it. No whacking great cables coming out the back of a DSLR for a start. Maybe they modified it for remote control. The lens might have AF motors to control focus wirelessly, but it doesn't look like an EF lens that is for sure.

Canon were so stupid not to fully exploit and develop the 1D C concept over the last 5 years.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Blade Runner 2049, shot on the 1D C... That's exactly what I'm talking about in the recent pro camera article, they are all doing it even on mega budget feature films, because small cameras are creatively liberating and don't need babysitting as much when left unattended on some robotic arm. As you can see it has a simple LAN cable connected to it. No whacking great cables coming out the back of a DSLR for a start. Maybe they modified it for remote control. The lens might have AF motors to control focus wirelessly, but it doesn't look like an EF lens that is for sure.

Canon were so stupid not to fully exploit and develop the 1D C concept over the last 5 years.

Hate to bring the bad news! But Roger said the 1DC was only used for reference shots :) 

That 1Dc is rigged on a motion control rig for the environment miniature shots. (so for stills not video) LAN Cable probably for Dragon frame control. Being able to shoot in a vari-stop motion way enables aperture to be closed down - increasing DOF to sell the scale in a miniature. Motion and camera are synced through series of still exposures to create real-time moves when conformed to 24fps. Impressive stills and compact form factor is what allows this camera to still be used on movies for animation and miniature effects...its a very common setup for studios like Aardman since those cameras are bulletproof when used for animation and easy to integrate into motion control setups as pictured in the Bladerunner 2049 setup.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

That 1Dc is rigged on a motion control rig for the environment miniature shots. (so for stills not video) LAN Cable probably for Dragon frame control. Being able to shoot in a vari-stop motion way enables aperture to be closed down - increasing DOF to sell the scale in a miniature. Motion and camera are synced through series of still exposures to create real-time moves when conformed to 24fps. Impressive stills and compact form factor is what allows this camera to still be used on movies for animation and miniature effects...its a very common setup for studios like Aardman since those cameras are bulletproof when used for animation and easy to integrate into motion control setups as pictured in the Bladerunner 2049 setup.

Sounds likely, but there does seem to be a 4K reference shot at 24p in the behind the scenes video shot from the same angle and same set as where they'd set up the 1D C.

I am amazed how often Roger posts on his forum and how many questions he answers. Impressive stuff.

41 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

Probably the studio that shot miniature scenes already own the 1D C and had that motion capture rig made arround it. And they do multi passes to capture lights and other effects. Imagine doing that with the 1D C in raw stills.

Interesting, but I suppose you could also do the same with a RED. Unless the 1D C's LAN port came in handy.

Anyway, I still think its 4K image is good enough for IMAX. NASA used it for an IMAX film I think, onboard the ISS.

I don´t know what software they are using for motion control, but DragonFrame has a great support for still cameras. You can control everthing and create a timeline with keyframes for every control. For example, you can set keyframes for expossure or aperture and it will change in time. Probably the LAN port is for controling the camera and discharging stills in realtime. 
And I believe the full frame still cameras are more similar to the vistavison or other large format cameras the miniature studios are used to work in the past.

I also believe the 1D C is a perfect B or C camera to use togheder with the Alexa. For Roger Deakins DP style and the colors he likes the 1D C is perfect.

• Administrators

And for the rest of us we can be satisfied the image is right up there with the Alexa, but for £2000 instead of £50,000 :)

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Shooting tethered for stills using the LAN port I imagine?

The EOS utility can do camera setting control over that port as well I think.

Wonder what other settings it can control if opened up?

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

I also believe the 1D C is a perfect B or C camera to use togheder with the Alexa. 

Careful with making B camera suggestions.

You'll have someone on saying that the only B camera to an Alexa is an Alexa.

Or that the Alexa is actually the B camera to the Enormo2567-T

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wonder what other settings it can control if opened up?

Is that a challenge ;)