1DC Discontinued

Nautical

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

1D X Mark II?

No Super 35mm mode

No Canon LOG

Hardly a replacement.

Well it was up to Canon to decide which features would make it to the new model. I also would have loved to have log. But some argue log makes little sense with 8 bit video... then again, they did add it to the 5DMk4, so who knows? I think Canon was never wild about the whole DSLR/Video hybrid movement. Perhaps the C200 is meant to fill the gap? In any case, the 1DXMk2 is capable enough for a hybrid. I find more often than not I am shooting stills with the 1DXMk2. Video is 10% of my use. With that in mind I will be taking a hard look at the C200 once the reviews are out. Hybrids made more sense in the past. There are now many dedicated video cameras that seem to make more sense. The main exception is when stealth is required.

• Administrators

1D C was a Cinema EOS camera with Super 35mm mode and LOG for filmmakers, and the 1D X Mark II is not a Cinema EOS camera, does not have the basic filmmaking features, so therefore is not a replacement. It was a replacement in the eyes of some customers because they had no choice, if they wanted a similar body and image from Canon along with Dual Pixel AF, they had to go with the 1D X Mark II, like I did. And it's a superb stills camera too.

1D C was Canon's best and most cinematic image, colour even a little better than 1D X Mark II to my eye, in the stills not just video, better in many ways than even a C300 II or C500... And they have showed zero interest in developing it further. Such a shame!

And if all these Canon reps are saying the 1D X Mark II is the 1D C's replacement, why add LOG to the 5D4 and not the 1D X Mk II?!

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

1D C was a Cinema EOS camera with Super 35mm mode and LOG for filmmakers, and the 1D X Mark II is not a Cinema EOS camera, does not have the basic filmmaking features, so therefore is not a replacement. It was a replacement in the eyes of some customers because they had no choice, if they wanted a similar body and image from Canon along with Dual Pixel AF, they had to go with the 1D X Mark II, like I did. And it's a superb stills camera too.

1D C was Canon's best and most cinematic image, colour even a little better than 1D X Mark II to my eye, in the stills not just video, better in many ways than even a C300 II or C500... And they have showed zero interest in developing it further. Such a shame!

And if all these Canon reps are saying the 1D X Mark II is the 1D C's replacement, why add LOG to the 5D4 and not the 1D X Mk II?!

It's Canon who said the 1DXMk2 replaces the 1DC. You might disagree, but that would mean buying out Canon and creating a new Canon 1DCMk2:grin: In any case, below is an official Canon rep stating that the 1DXMK2 "IS" the replacement for both the original 1DX and 1DC (8:23). 

I agree with Andrew, they could just take away the mirror & OVF from 1DXMk2, put a decent EVF + clog and call it a day. Maybe a decent codec as well. 

Now how it would affect the C200 sales I don't know, but at least to my eyes they wouldn't overlap that much even at similar price points. 

• Administrators

Canon shouldn't mind what camera we buy from them at $8000.

$8k is $8k!

Maybe there is just more margin in the C200 as the sensor is smaller, therefore cheaper to mass produce (more from same size wafer), simpler optically, build isn't weather proofed, etc.

But clearly there is plenty of margin in the 1D X Mark II otherwise it wouldn't be $2000 less than a C200.

They could actually SAVE money by taking out the optical viewfinder and DSLR shutter release!

Much easier to manufacturer it with just a sensor and an EVF, keeping an EF mount.

Dual Pixel AF means they don't need an reflex system even for autofocus.

Be brave Canon... be brave...

It would sell like hot cakes.

19 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It's Canon who said the 1DXMk2 replaces the 1DC. You might disagree, but that would mean buying out Canon and creating a new Canon 1DCMk2:grin: In any case, below is an official Canon rep stating that the 1DXMK2 "IS" the replacement for both the original 1DX and 1DC (8:23). 

Well as both a 1D C and 1D X II owner, I disagree with Canon.

It is not a replacement and I will soon sell it. I bought it for Dual Pixel AF, 120fps 1080p and 4K 60p... Turns out I didn't need 4K 60p after the GH5 came out, the files sizes were impractical, the 120fps wasn't as good as the A99 II and Dual Pixel AF I have on the 70D with 10bit recording, so stuff it.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing camera, it's just the 1D C remains in a league of one in the Canon line-up and to lose it entirely with no proper follow up is a disgrace. I will not be fobbed off with a LOG-less non-Cinema EOS camera.

Canon have had this tech since 2011, even the 5D Mark III from that era can almost do 4K on the sensor, and the 1D C dates back to 2011 as well with the original 1D X...

So for Canon to sit on their arses for 6 years holding back full frame 4K in a small body is a real dick move.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon shouldn't mind what camera we buy from them at $8000.

$8k is $8k!

Maybe there is just more margin in the C200 as the sensor is smaller, therefore cheaper to mass produce (more from same size wafer), simpler optically, build isn't weather proofed, etc.

But clearly there is plenty of margin in the 1D X Mark II otherwise it wouldn't be $2000 less than a C200.

They could actually SAVE money by taking out the optical viewfinder and DSLR shutter release!

Much easier to manufacturer it with just a sensor and an EVF, keeping an EF mount.

Dual Pixel AF means they don't need an reflex system even for autofocus.

Be brave Canon... be brave...

It would sell like hot cakes.

Well as both a 1D C and 1D X II owner, I disagree with Canon.

It is not a replacement and I will soon sell it.

The only thing it adds is Dual Pixel AF... The 4K 60p is impractical due to the file sizes and the fact the GH5 does it better any way.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing camera and has 120fps.

But the 1D C remains in a league of one in the Canon line-up and to lose it entirely with no proper follow up is a disgrace.

But is the GH5 in the same league as a Stills camera as the 1DXMK2? I think not. There really is no perfect camera. Also are we certain that the C200 is not weather sealed? I have seen video with it being used in the rain... see below (2:33)

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

But is the GH5 in the same league as a Stills camera as the 1DXMK2? I think not. There really is no perfect camera. Also are we certain that the C200 is not weather sealed? I have seen video with it being used in the rain... see below (2:33)

Do you post Cinema5D advertorial just to get on my nerves!?

The A99 II is in the same league as the 1D X Mark II for stills.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Do you post Cinema5D advertorial just to get on my nerves!?

The A99 II is in the same league as the 1D X Mark II for stills.

Well I prefer my cameras be reliable, and with the continued overrheating problems that this and other Sony cameras are experiencing, I think that leaves them out of contention for as an option for many serious users.

• Administrators

Neither the A99 II in 4K or the 1D X Mark II is suitable for long recordings.

The A99 II due to the heating and the 1D X II due to the file sizes.

But the A99 II can go forever in 1080p mode and the quality is a lot better than the 1D X Mark II.

So if I were shooting continuous takes of a live event for hours on-end, I wouldn't be shooting 1D X II MJPEG 4K for obvious reasons, I would instead be using the A99 II in 1080p.

There's also the NX1 which has no overheating issues at all thanks to Samsung's expertise in cramming very fast processors into smartphones, they know about efficient semiconductors and RAM, which run cool by design, and they know about heat management. Panasonic too... When did you ever hear about a GH5 or GH4 overheating?

Sony have a lot of work to do in this area, and yes it is a let down, but the 1D X II file sizes are a much bigger and more immediate problem in my view.

BTW - that cinema5D "review" was filmed at Canon HQ in the UK, with the staff watching on, and then tuning in for the finished video... and you expect them to be impartial?!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Neither the A99 II in 4K or the 1D X Mark II is suitable for long recordings.

The A99 II due to the heating and the 1D X II due to the file sizes.

But the A99 II can go forever in 1080p mode and the quality is a lot better than the 1D X Mark II.

So if I were shooting continuous takes of a live event for hours on-end, I wouldn't be shooting 1D X II MJPEG 4K for obvious reasons, I would instead be using the A99 II in 1080p.

There's also the NX1 which has no overheating issues at all thanks to Samsung's expertise in cramming very fast processors into smartphones, they know about efficient semiconductors and RAM, which run cool by design, and they know about heat management. Panasonic too... When did you ever hear about a GH5 or GH4 overheating?

Sony have a lot of work to do in this area, and yes it is a let down, but the 1D X II file sizes are a much bigger and more immediate problem in my view.

BTW - that cinema5D "review" was filmed at Canon HQ in the UK, with the staff watching on, and then tuning in for the finished video... and you expect them to be impartial?!

To my mind the C100 is more suitable if 1080p is your thing. I have high praise for the NX1, but Samsung bailed out on that system, and when they did... so did I. As for the cinema5D review, well the camera is not out yet. So I understand why they could only review it under Canon's watchful eye. But I see no reason why it could not still be impartial.  From what I could see of the footage it looks pretty dam good. If I were a betting man, I would guess there is a C200 in your future also. Before being too harsh, lets first see how the actual retail camera pans out. 

It is now a year that I have the 1Dx II and I do ca. 60% photo and 40% video, mostly around action and sports stuff and some commercials. So for me is the best camera/system available on the market for my usage. It happens quite a bit to do photo and video on the same assignment. Sometime for the photo part I even pull some 4k frames out of the video but for most of the part I switch between video and photo.

I’m sure that there are others like me that wants one single camera that can do both photo and video well but considering the price I’m not sure that a 1Dc II, that would probably be on the same price range of a C200, would have a big market.

They should simply add Clog to the 1Dx II and be done with it. Personally I would prefer to have zebras, parades and a better quality 1080 120fps than Clog.

I think a 5D class camera with a FF 4k 30p, Clog and some video oriented feature would have more market than a 1Dc II.

If I would do 90% video I would buy a C200 instead of a 1Dx/1Dc II…

But for my usage I dream that next 1Dx (III) in 2 years will have 4k 60fps Raw light and 4k 120fps MJPG (or whatever codec that would produce great slow-motion), add zebras, parades, and a fully silent mode in photo live view and I will be happy for another 3 years. Not critical for me but many would be happy if it would have 4k h264 100/150 Mbits. Yes I’m just dreaming but with Canon you never know….