Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

@Geoff_L that sucks about the Z6. I’ve been there. Last year I had to sell every lens I was using to shoot my film for financial reasons. I had to reevaluate my entire shooting process and what mattered for my film.

The good news about the 5D3 is that they hold their resale value, so you could always buy one, test it out and resell it if you don’t like it. If you do, you’ll have a hybrid photo/cinema camera that is almost as easy as a point and shoot to operate.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@mercer yes it is annoying.... but as I do not depend on cameras to live (for the moment ? ), that finally ends up with only a cameraless period with no other consequence than being forced to watch tons of footage of the next cameras I could purchase ahah ! And the next big trip where the camera will be important is scheduled for next September/October.

Yes you are right, I am always amazed by the 5D series capability to hold their value ! Compared to other brands, it is really a great thing.

33 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Question what are the record times for HD RAW recording on the 5D Mk3? Its hard to shift through information on Magic lantern stuff. 

With 14bit uncompressed Raw, I get about 12 minutes on a 64GB card. With the 14bit Lossless, it seems to be double but I haven’t used it enough to fill a card. The difference in quality between uncompressed and lossless seems negligible.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

With 14bit uncompressed Raw, I get about 12 minutes on a 64GB card. With the 14bit Lossless, it seems to be double but I haven’t used it enough to fill a card. The difference in quality between uncompressed and lossless seems negligible.

Only CF cards work right?

44 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Only CF cards work right?

Yes, CF cards. But what’s great about the 5D3 is that you load ML onto the SD card and record onto the CF, so you don’t have to have a copy of ML on every card you use like with other ML capable cameras.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes, CF cards. But what’s great about the 5D3 is that you load ML onto the SD card and record onto the CF, so you don’t have to have a copy of ML on every card you use like with other ML capable cameras.

That is pretty cool. What kind of battery life to you get using magic lantern?

Whats attracting me right now is if I want I can also just use the standard 5D recording for family stuff and of course photos. If the battery life is decent thats a huge plus as well. I am already thinking how I'd have to rig out the Pocket 4k. Whats RAW 60p like? Sorry for all the questions lol 

59 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

That is pretty cool. What kind of battery life to you get using magic lantern?

Whats attracting me right now is if I want I can also just use the standard 5D recording for family stuff and of course photos. If the battery life is decent thats a huge plus as well. I am already thinking how I'd have to rig out the Pocket 4k. Whats RAW 60p like? Sorry for all the questions lol 

Yup, same. With the 5D3, I get well over an hour... probably closer to an hour and a half. As usual, original Canon batteries last longer than third party.

I haven’t shot Raw 60p yet. I am using an experimental build so I could give it a try but to be honest, it’s kind of a pain because you have to change a few settings in the menus to do it. With the regular nightly builds, I shot 48p 720p and I thought it looked great for the few times I’d need it.

anyone care to weigh in on my decision to go with either 70D or EOS-M for playing around with ML? I been trying to read as much as possible here and on the ML forum, but let's face it: I'm not a techie by a long shot and can't keep up without a visual step by step guide.

Obvious differences are the articulating screen and AF on the 70D (and I already have a couple of EF lenses with my 1000D), but it's roughly double the price of the M on eBay.

So what are the current stable-ish raw capabilities? Also I'm not a slow motion guy, but I do like longer takes and got some of my grandfather's 16mm lenses I'd like to try out (are there even C-mount to EF-mount adapter around?). Battery life?

Battery life with the EOS M is F ing terrible using ML. And extra Canon batteries for them are a fortune. About as bad as a OG BMPCC. I know nothing about the 70D. Seems if a person had the money nice way to go. And they have a viewfinder.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Battery life with the EOS M is F ing terrible using ML. And extra Canon batteries for them are a fortune. About as bad as a OG BMPCC. I know nothing about the 70D. Seems if a person had the money nice way to go. And they have a viewfinder.

Really?... I don't see it in such way when we find this, don't you agree?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1100mAh-LP-E12-Battery-for-Canon-Rebel-SL1-EOS-M-EOS-M2-M10-Mirrorless-Camera-TP/332655092541?hash=item4d73c9e33d:m:m4ttztCUyitOpyui3PmvNIQ

I have four EOS M batteries, but barely get through the second, then again, i'm using vintage lenses. I'm guessing you're using the native lenses?
There is a dummy adapter where you can charge the camera with a power bank (5000mah, 10,000mah etc.) via the usb end. I know its a 'dummy adapter', but it's a 'no-brainer' (pun intended). 

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-E12-Power-Charger-Cable-ACK-E12-DR-E12-Dummy-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-EOS-M2/143167084446?hash=item21556c579e:g:wHAAAOSwZrtclZfW

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I really Never use aftermarket batteries. I have learned the hard way. There is a reason good batteries, even for your Flashlight, or Torch as they say cost more.

7 hours ago, ZEEK said:

I have four EOS M batteries, but barely get through the second, then again, i'm using vintage lenses. I'm guessing you're using the native lenses?
There is a dummy adapter where you can charge the camera with a power bank (5000mah, 10,000mah etc.) via the usb end. I know its a 'dummy adapter', but it's a 'no-brainer' (pun intended). 

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-E12-Power-Charger-Cable-ACK-E12-DR-E12-Dummy-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-EOS-M2/143167084446?hash=item21556c579e:g:wHAAAOSwZrtclZfW

I use both Native and Vintage.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I really Never use aftermarket batteries. I have learned the hard way. There is a reason good batteries, even for your Flashlight, or Torch as they say cost more.

And you're right there ; ) But when we don't have a dog for going to hunt, let's find a cat, isn't it? LOL : -) Well, without losing the hope, everything can't be bad in all extension of the course, so RAVPower or a couple others can do the trick, I guess : -)

Kind of tough buying a EOS M and thinking, hey I need say 3 more batteries and finding out it cost more than the damn camera did lol. There is just too many knockoffs of knockoffs batteries wise anymore. The swelling battery thing is a REAL problem, even on factory batteries for Smartphones. Lithium Ion battery's are a potential hand grenade.

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Kind of tough buying a EOS M and thinking, hey I need say 3 more batteries and finding out it cost more than the damn camera did lol. There is just too many knockoffs of knockoffs batteries wise anymore. The swelling battery thing is a REAL problem, even on factory batteries for Smartphones. Lithium Ion battery's are a potential hand grenade.

Everything becomes crazy about that EOS M thing! LOL (E : -)

How many ML Raw shooters use LUTs to correct/grade their footage?

My process has always been to run the footage through Resolve as BM Film Log to ProRes which I grade and edit in FCPX.

In FCPX inspector panel, there’s an option to use a “Camera LUT” so while I was looking at some clips this morning, I tried the Arri LogC Camera LUT and it seems to work okay on some footage but since the exposure wasn’t intended for the LUT, it went wonky sometimes.

Here’s a frame where it seems to have worked...

7D629209-7CFA-47C9-B71B-5BABDC834C0E.thumb.jpeg.cc0c210d68bd4324b0ad8987dc6c5cd1.jpeg

As a reference, here is another frame from the same clip that I did without any LUT. I probably could have boosted the image more in hindsight...4213B109-CAC0-4CCA-B821-63D371AC8533.thumb.jpeg.dd3c3041068597cdc30265e8e3946c73.jpeg

I guess I’m just curious if there is a simple way to expose for a LUT without having a monitor LUT available while shooting?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 12:46 AM, mercer said:

If you have a 5D mark 3 there is no reason not to use lossless raw. There is definitely no difference in quality with the compression! It is lossless after all, not lossy. It uses the LJ92 compression algorithm, built in to the camera for raw photos.