Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

actually ive never used premiere with ml raw...

when i first started screwing around with the ml files, figuring them out, i used acr through photoshop to grade, exported as tif files, then opened the files as an image sequence. so ghetto i know! ?

I’d do that! I prefer the most ghetto, roundabout ways possible. Lol. Do you use Resolve? I had heard that ACR has better color than Resolve, so I am curious. 

1 hour ago, Katrikura said:

hello, I use mlvproducer, to convert raw mlv files to prores, it works on windows and it gives me very good results. Try it works on any PC.

regards

Thanks, I’ve heard good things but I use a Mac... mlvproducer is for Windows only, right?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@mercer yeah, i made my short in resolve, its easy once you get the hang of it!!

as far as color in acr vs resolve: it IS different, but... its darn similar. 

one thing ive seen for sure is that resolve gives a render with slightly more detail – i did some comparisons and thats what i found. but the difference isnt dramatic

grading from ml raw in acr feels more different than it is, i think because im always using a super flat bmd profile in resolve, building up an image from what is virtually a gray rectangle, compared with the punchy saturated look youre greeted with in acr

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, Jimmy said:

Does anyone know the best DPAF camera that is working with magic lantern (even a beta build)? Looking at their list, it seems the 70D, is that correct?

I have used the 70D to shoot ML raw, but I wouldn't say it works well. The ML menus often disappear and re-appear. Also, you can't record 1080p raw. The max resolution is somewhat less. Recording sound is also hit and miss on the experimental builds. 

The deal-breaker for me and the 70D was the aliasing. Whether shooting at 720p or near-1080p, the aliasing has been really bad for fine patterns. So much so that I was considering trying to get a Mosaic Engineering VAF for it. Instead, I decided to see the 70D and I bought a Fujifilm X-T3, which I've had for about a month now.

Here's a sample of ML from the 70D "at its best" -- shooting a favourable subject: 

On 11/25/2018 at 6:21 PM, Ilia3101 said:

Magic lantern is making a lot of progress with 3K+ on the 5D mark 2!

Seems what happened with the 5 year old mark III in 2017 is now happening with the 10 year old mark II...

3K announcement: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg205638#msg205638

Initial 4K progress (10.5 frames per second): https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg208417#msg208417
Initial 5K progress (6.5 frames per second): https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg208355#msg208355

The 5D mark II has always been limited to 30fps, but there is also some progress in getting higher framerates:  https://twitter.com/autoexec_bin/status/1048804509827452928

The forum user reddeercity has some builds on that thread.

I am super excited about this, even spent 100 pound on a new motherboard to fix my camera.

Video I made using the 3K build:

Shot in 2880x1080 resolution, Graded + converted to ProRes using MLV App (https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App), edited in Pitivi on linuX.

Lenses: Jupiter 9, Helios 44, Takumar 135mm, cosina 19-35 (for one shot)

If anyone wants an MLV or DNG or something from the video I can provide.

Wow, gotta try this for sure...

I'm 99% certain you are underexposing then, expose your footage as bright as possible without blowing out any/ too many highlights (expose to the right) - Use raw zebras in magic lantern to know where your highlights are clipping.

MLV App does not even have any usable noise reduction, so I don't use it and still get good results, only in extreme cases I use the chroma blur slider to hide colour noise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, hmcindie said:

Another little action scene with the 5d raw. A couple of shots from the sony a6300 thrown in there for good measure too. All upscaled to 4k.

Nice work! You really nailed the action. Some reactions were a bit slow but overall its really good. Were they both martial artists? How long did that take you to shoot?

On 12/29/2018 at 8:52 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Nice work! You really nailed the action. Some reactions were a bit slow but overall its really good. Were they both martial artists? How long did that take you to shoot?

Thanks! The woman wasn't a martial artist, we trained her for a couple of hours and then shot. I think the shoot was one day.

• 5 weeks later...

new facebook group 'MLV RAW on EOS M' dedicated to what the title of the group is, for anybody that is interested.  Other ML discussion is welcome as well.  I have been testing ML on the M for the past couple weeks, and I'm absolutly blown away.  I've almost forgot I own a Pocket 4k. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 8:03 PM, kye said:

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't work out how to select some of the resolutions people talk about.

When I go into RAW video (MLV) --> Resolution I can only choose from 640, 960, 1280, 1600, etc.  People talk a lot about 1344 and other modes but I can't find them.  Changing the aspect ratio only changes the vertical resolution, not horizontal.  I saw instructions in the EOS-M thread to enable crop_rec module, but that's not in the build I have.

I'm using 700D with the 10/12 bit RAW Video experimental build 700D115 (released Jan 31 2018).

What am I missing?  I must admit that I find ML confusing as hell, even though I have a computer science degree!

hang on, are you guys using the crop_rec module?  that would make more sense...

I have this same question. Most of the examples I see online show resolutions I don't seem to be able to get even with the experimental 10-bit builds. For example this article on this very site shows resolutions like 1792 x 762 on the 6d and even 70d. I finally discovered it's with experimental builds for 10-bit but even with that neither camera can do continuous above 1600 x 680 give or take. In most of the sources there doesn't seem to be mention of the sd_uhs hack so I feel like I'm missing something somewhere.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.