Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks @Alpicat. For the first few tests I used MLV app to decode the MLV files to DNG, then brought into Resolve 15 for editing and CC. On that last test, I finally got MLVFS to work on my Mac (still no luck on Windows side, just pink DNG's), and after a few strange renders (realized I had to set Chroma smoothing to 2x2 in MLVFS to get rid of some weird patterns that were showing up) I brought those DNG's into Resolve- MLVFS workflow is a great timesaver.

@Brian Williams I'm using Windows and was also getting corrupt files with MLVFS. I don't think it's compatible with lossless raw files, but need to check if there's an updated version. The patterns you were seeing are the focus pixels? 

MLV App works fine for me and it gets rid of focus pixels automatically without using chroma smoothing, but would be interesting to see if MLVFS produces different results at all with the exported DNGs (in terms of colour and image quality). 

4 minutes ago, Alpicat said:

@Brian Williams I'm using Windows and was also getting corrupt files with MLVFS. I don't think it's compatible with lossless raw files, but need to check if there's an updated version. The patterns you were seeing are the focus pixels? 

MLV App works fine for me and it gets rid of focus pixels automatically without using chroma smoothing, but would be interesting to see if MLVFS produces different results at all with the exported DNGs (in terms of colour and image quality). 

I guess they were focus pixels, it was a clear pattern in the center- I didn't realize focus pixels we're a thing. And yes, MLV app fixed it automatically, but MLVFS is such a quicker process, even with the Chroma smoothing turned on, so I think I will stick with that. MLVFS seems to work fine with lossless DNG's on the Mac side, and it's as easy as a mouse click (no cmd prompt or terminal needed).

2 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I guess they were focus pixels, it was a clear pattern in the center- I didn't realize focus pixels we're a thing. And yes, MLV app fixed it automatically, but MLVFS is such a quicker process, even with the Chroma smoothing turned on, so I think I will stick with that. MLVFS seems to work fine with lossless DNG's on the Mac side, and it's as easy as a mouse click (no cmd prompt or terminal needed).

Nice work and yes, MLVFS are like magic and turn a somewhat tedious process into a piece of cake. But I will say that I really like the MLV App’s implementation of a LogC curve. It works brilliantly with basic LogC to Rec709 LUTS or corrects/grades simply with some simple curves and saturation.

So for anybody who uses a different NLE than Resolve and is looking for a quick ProRes conversion, the MLV App is great.

To add, I cannot stress this enough... I love what you guys are getting with the eos-m... it really is the camera that keeps on giving thanks to ML. 

I know these are shot with the experimental Raw builds and SD card overclocking mixed with crop mode and whatever other voodoo the ML team has figured out, but has there been any advancements with the bitrate hack? With the crop mode, it always seemed like a good compromise between quality and ease of use.

Also what other cameras benefit from these new builds? I’d love to see the 70D with this quality and DPAF.

2 hours ago, Alpicat said:

As I'm reading more, I'm hearing that chroma smoothing, while getting rid of focus pixels, degrades the image- is this true? If so, I guess the MLV app may be a better way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

@Brian Williams with MLVFS I think there might be an option to remove focus pixels in the same way that MLV App does (with a focus pixel map) but don't remember what the option was called. Chroma smoothing supposedly does degrade image quality slightly - but probably not noticeable most of the time.

@mercer I've tried converting mlvs to prores (using the LogC curve) on MLV App, and I agree the results are great! Interestingly with the EOS M I found that when I exported some shots to prores, it got rid of aliaising and moire, which remained an issue when exporting to cdng... but in some other cases where there was a different type of aliaising it didn't make a difference and possibly the cdngs were better!

There haven't been updates for the bitrate hack that I know of. We were extremely lucky that the magic lantern forum members did so much work with the EOS M these last few months. It's gone a bit quiet now and will probably be a while before we see any new updates for that camera, but that's ok. Now I'm just waiting for Viltrox to release their EF-M speedbooster so I can turn my EOS M into a 'full-frame' camera using the mv1080p mode! 

I think the 70D also benefits from SD card overclocking but don't know if that camera can record lossless raw yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I’ve been shooting ML Raw with my 5D3 for over a year and a half now and I’m still as happy with the camera and the image as the day I bought it. I’m even thinking of buying a used one as a backup and to have set up for 48p/60p.

I’ve been using a 2014 MacBook Air to process, edit and temporarily grade the footage so far but I really need an upgrade. I’d like to say with a Mac. So I was wondering what bate minimum requirements are to edit 1080p ML Raw? What I have actually works pretty good but the screen is killing me. Any recommendations? Can an iMac or MacBook screen be calibrated with a Spyder or similar product?

Also I’d like to know more about the ACR workflow. I was thinking of picking up a pre-subscription copy of Premiere or After Effects if I can find one.

Thanks

@kaylee I only use Resolve as an intermediary to process my footage to ProRes. Well that’s not entirely true... I’ll trim some fat in the editor, make WB corrections, tweak the exposure if needed, turn it into BMDFilm (or sometimes I’ll just leave it in Rec709) and then I’ll transcode it to ProRes. 

I’m pretty settled with FCPX and don’t really have the time to learn Resolve. So I do any final color work in Final Cut. But I’m really just doing test grades at this point.

But I haven’t really settled on a final workflow yet because I am just testing methods as I shoot the film.

How do you process your footage in Premiere if you aren’t using ACR?

10 hours ago, mercer said:

@kaylee  Yo solo uso Resolver como intermediario para procesar mi material de archivo a ProRes. Bueno, eso no es del todo cierto ... Recortaré un poco el contenido del editor, haré correcciones de WB, modificaré la exposición si es necesario, lo convertiré en BMDFilm (o algunas veces lo dejaré en Rec709) y luego lo transcodificaré. a ProRes. 

Estoy bastante resuelto con FCPX y realmente no tengo tiempo para aprender a resolver. Así que hago cualquier trabajo de color final en Final Cut. Pero en realidad solo estoy haciendo calificaciones de examen en este punto.

Pero todavía no me he conformado con un flujo de trabajo final porque solo estoy probando métodos mientras filmo la película.

¿Cómo procesa sus imágenes en Premiere si no está utilizando ACR?

hello, I use mlvproducer, to convert raw mlv files to prores, it works on windows and it gives me very good results. Try it works on any PC.

regards