Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, mercer said:

@Alpicat looks good, I dig the music too. Have you thought about buying a 5D3?

Thanks, glad you like it! I can't afford a new camera at the moment unfortunately - but that might change next year. The full frame look is really nice!

For now I'm happy with the EOS M, I don't really need anything else. It's quite a capable camera - at 2.5k resolution I think I prefer its image quality slightly over the BMPCC I used to own. When Viltrox's speed booster comes out next month, it'll even be possible to shoot wide angle with EF lenses. 

The 50D was really nice in crop mode even if liveview was only in greyscale (it could do 2000x1080 in 10 or 12 bit raw continuously). Unfortunately when shooting with the full sensor it was fairly weak - looking at footage now I realise just how much moire there is, and also at higher ISOs fixed pattern noise was bad. Its biggest issue was battery life which seemed even shorter than on the BMPCC - the EOS M battery goes on forever in comparison!

46 minutes ago, mercer said:

@Alpicat looks good, I dig the music too. Have you thought about buying a 5D3?

This looks awesome. I love when I scroll down my IG page and see your ML Raw videos. 

4 hours ago, hmcindie said:

A bit of swords with the 5d raw:

Liked this one better script wise.  You need to let the bad guy win once and awhile LoL. Really the A6300 didn't look too bad.

https://vimeo.com/179493640

1 minute ago, Alpicat said:

Thanks, glad you like it! I can't afford a new camera at the moment unfortunately - but that might change next year. The full frame look is really nice!

For now I'm happy with the EOS M, I don't really need anything else. It's quite a capable camera - at 2.5k resolution I think I prefer its image quality slightly over the BMPCC I used to own. When Viltrox's speed booster comes out next month, it'll even be possible to shoot wide angle with EF lenses. 

The 50D was really nice in crop mode even if liveview was only in greyscale (it could do 2000x1080 in 10 or 12 bit raw continuously). Unfortunately when shooting with the full sensor it was fairly weak - looking at footage now I realise just how much moire there is, and also at higher ISOs fixed pattern noise was bad. Its biggest issue was battery life which seemed even shorter than on the BMPCC - the EOS M battery goes on forever in comparison!

The eos-m really is the camera that keeps on giving. I still have mine in the back of my closet with a Cosmicar 12-75mm permanently attached to it. I’ve been considering uploading a newer ML build on it, even just for the bitrate hack. Does the eos-m have anamorphic mode in ML? If so, I thought that could be fun to mess around with.

Right now though, I am interested in finally updating my 5D3 to a newer build and trying to get a little more resolution or higher frame rates out of it.

I think @squig shoots 2.8K with his but I don’t even know if it’s 10/12 bit or MLV Lite. I haven’t been keeping up with the ML progress in a while, but a 2.8K downscale to 2K sounds pretty perfect to me... I think another company makes cameras that are similar to that process.

But I assume there’s a crop involved, which I am not completely sure I want to get into yet... I just got used to FF FOV... but I guess with the crop, some more lens options open up.

@mercer the MLV Lite module is nearly able to do all the things the regular raw module does (including sound recording), and it uses less processing power, so I think there's a discussion going on about getting rid of the regular raw module and making MLV Lite the standard one. There  isn't much difference between the two modules in terms of what they're like to use.

The EOS M is only worth using in crop mode, and the current resolution options means it's not great at all for anamorphic filming. The max available resolution till very recently was 2520x1080 (2.33:1 aspect ratio). At this resolution recording is continuous at 10 bit lossless, and nearly continuous at 12 bit lossless. Crop is 3.33x from full frame (which will be 2.36x crop with the upcoming speed booster).

Now it's also possible to shoot up to 2520x1384 (16:9) at 24fps. However when you increase the vertical resolution beyond 1080, the lowest bitrate setting you can select is 14 bit lossless, which limits record times to about 2 seconds only! However, as I'm sure you know with Magic Lantern you can select any resolution lower than the maximum and any aspect ratio you like, to get better record times. For example, with 2224x1200 in 14 bit lossless I currently get 10-15 seconds record time.

The exciting news is that the SD card overclock hack is being developed even further to increase the clock frequency from 160mhz up to the UHS-I maximum of 208mhz. When (and if) that happens then 80mb/s write speed should be possible on the EOS M and other digic 5 cameras (as opposed to 55mb/s write speed that the current hack allows). This should enable continuous recording at 2520x1384.  

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I think @squig shoots 2.8K with his but I don’t even know if it’s 10/12 bit or MLV Lite. I haven’t been keeping up with the ML progress in a while, but a 2.8K downscale to 2K sounds pretty perfect to me... I think another company makes cameras that are similar to that process.

But I assume there’s a crop involved, which I am not completely sure I want to get into yet... I just got used to FF FOV... but I guess with the crop, some more lens options open up.

I'm actually shooting 1920x1280 14bit lossless with the Iscorama, it's a 1.5x stretch which ends up as 2.8k 2.39:1. That's a 50% horizontal line boost over cropped 1080p. It's then either a 1.5x 4k upscale or downscale to 2k. I could shoot 3.3k 12bit lossless anamorphic but I'd lose the full res real-time preview and there's a huge 2.6x crop. I'm happy with the resolution I'm getting out of it now.

18 hours ago, squig said:

I'm actually shooting 1920x1280 14bit lossless with the Iscorama, it's a 1.5x stretch which ends up as 2.8k 2.39:1. That's a 50% horizontal line boost over cropped 1080p. It's then either a 1.5x 4k upscale or downscale to 2k. I could shoot 3.3k 12bit lossless anamorphic but I'd lose the full res real-time preview and there's a huge 2.6x crop. I'm happy with the resolution I'm getting out of it now.

Ahh... anamorphic... that makes sense. In reality, I’m fairly happy with my Canon lenses shooting 1080... or 820 in 2:39... so for now that should suffice. I don’t think I’m quite ready for anamorphic.

However, I do need to move to a newer build and mess around with some of the advancements. I’m still using the the messed up build from April of 2017. I never had the issues others had with it, but I still should get rid of it...

Stupid question... when I update a build, do I just load a new build onto an SD card and then run the firmware update? Or do I have to bring it back to the regular Canon firmware and then do it?

Btw, is the Iscorama a newer addition to your arsenal? And are you using a focus module or doing double focus? 

I am tempted to pick up a Sankor or something and try some anamorphic...

18 hours ago, squig said:

exactly why I bought a 1.33x anamorphic. The gain in spatial resolution makes sense for a 1080p camera

2 hours ago, mercer said:

when I update a build, do I just load a new build onto an SD card and then run the firmware update? Or do I have to bring it back to the regular Canon firmware and then do it?

To update a build all you do is delete the ML folder, autoexec.bin file and ML-Setup.fir file from your SD card, and replace these deleted items with the new ML files that you've downloaded. You don't need to run any firmware update - that's only the case if you're using a new SD card which hasn't had Magic Lantern installed before. 

If you're planning to shoot lossless raw using the experimental 4k crop rec build, it's worth using MLV App to convert the mlv files to cdng: https://ilia3101.github.io/MLV-App/   not all of the other programs are compatible with lossless compression.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Stupid question... when I update a build, do I just load a new build onto an SD card and then run the firmware update? Or do I have to bring it back to the regular Canon firmware and then do it?

Btw, is the Iscorama a newer addition to your arsenal? And are you using a focus module or doing double focus? 

I am tempted to pick up a Sankor or something and try some anamorphic...

Just copy the new files onto the card and write over the old ones. I've been playing with the latest build, seems good so far. I'm shooting some tests for a short over the next few weeks so if there's any new bugs y'all will be hearing about it.

I bought two single focus Isco 36's in like 2012 before they went bitcoin.

The Isco Ultra Stars are quite good, double focus though.

1 hour ago, squig said:

Yeah if I had known what would happen, I would have bought 200 Isco 36's and retired to a Pacific Island. Isco Ultra Stars hard to beat for a newcomer getting into Anamorphic. You couldn't hardly give them away years ago. When Mirrorless cameras came out the price of all lenses went up big time.

15 hours ago, squig said:

Just copy the new files onto the card and write over the old ones. I've been playing with the latest build, seems good so far. I'm shooting some tests for a short over the next few weeks so if there's any new bugs y'all will be hearing about it.

So you’re using the May 1st build? I was looking into the experimental builds a little and it seems they said some of the features would be included in the nightly builds eventually... but I guess they’re not there yet?

I still would like to stay with 14bit when possible but I am really looking for some slow motion. I don’t even care that much about higher resolution... the 2:39 1920x810 still blows my mind every time I bring the footage into the computer... so for me... someone more interested in cameras as storytelling tools... what more do I really need?!

What do the Isco 36s go for now? If I do get into anamorphic, I’d like to easily end up at 2:39/2:35... so I guess a 1.33 or 1.5 anamorphic is the way to go with 14bit? Also I don’t think I’m ready for double focus. Any inexpensive options you can think of with that criteria?