Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

i want the top shot to be really dark and low contrast... hes "waking up in the dark". its definitely pushing it tho lol

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Do you think dropping the shadows and the desaturation eliminated the noise that well? In my shots, I would totally have a bunch of chroma noise in that shot... hmm... I'll have to do some tests because maybe the chroma noise is a byproduct of ETTR?

honestly, i think thats what happened -- those shots were noisy as heck before lowering the exposure several stops, desaturating, etc. i can post a dng frame you can check out if u want. but yeah its resolves magic and idk what else, but it seems to have worked ok??

edit: oh and i havent even gotten into noise reduction or any of that. i thought i was gonna have to just to make these clips look ok, but not at all the noise is rlly nice and magic lantern-y. itll need a little work but it seems like a suprisingly successful experiment (?)

ill post some full res pics and the dngs when im off of work ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you Don't expose to the right you Will have noise in a Digital camera. You can bring things down in post, but you sure as hell can't bring it up! Use ETTR! You can't get back what you never had.

And you are loosing DR if you don't ETTR. And the older Canon's have crap DR even in Raw. Even if you gain 1/2 a stop of DR that is Huge on a Canon.

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I will say that the top shot may need to be brightened a touch... he is really lost in the darkness... or is it just my screen?

I'm looking at them on a properly calibrated screen, the top shot is very dark and low contrast. The 2nd exposure is better, but it could do with some tweaking. @kaylee there doesn't seem to be too much noise there. You can send me a DNG of each if you like and I'll have a play around with them.

Here's a good example of a night interior, it's dark, but there's a lot of detail there.

NwT8D4o.png

thanks @squig~~! ill pm you

the first shot should be low contrast and dark. im actually ramping the exposure a bit during the second shot, like its dawning

the first shot is the first shot of the film, it fades in from black and that guy is asleep, and he awakes in the dark. going for subtle there

3 hours ago, squig said:

I'm looking at them on a properly calibrated screen

i need one. my 2013 imac isnt cutting it, and my plasma can look great but its uncalibrateable lol. just looking for a happy medium across devices u kno

edit: oh and @mercer i emailed u a dng!

Just a bit too subtle me thinks.

If you have a look at a similarly lit scene in a film on your imac, you might get an idea of how much the calibration is off and then you can compensate for it a bit. When you don't have access to a calibrated screen it's best to view it on as many screens as possible to make sure it's going to look ok. I tried to grade a short on one of those glossy screen imacs and it ended up too low contrasty and undersaturated. Remember if it ends up playing at festivals it's gonna be projected, and you wanna be sure the audience can see something.

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

thanks @squig~~! ill pm you

the first shot should be low contrast and dark. im actually ramping the exposure a bit during the second shot, like its dawning

the first shot is the first shot of the film, it fades in from black and that guy is asleep, and he awakes in the dark. going for subtle there

i need one. my 2013 imac isnt cutting it, and my plasma can look great but its uncalibrateable lol. just looking for a happy medium across devices u kno

edit: oh and @mercer i emailed u a dng!

Get a spyder elite it works wonders

18 hours ago, mercer said:

I will say that the top shot may need to be brightened a touch... he is really lost in the darkness... or is it just my screen?

Same with my screens.

I do like the second frame a lot too. If you're shooting at 6400 iso, and aren't already doing this, you could add a soft fill over camera axis 2-3 stops under key using a really cheap (low power) light to bring the shadows up a bit just so you have more to work with and controlling the dr a bit more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to test some 48fps with the regular 14bit ML build. I processed it as Alexa LogC 24fps through the MLV App.

As suspected... since it’s less than HD... it’s soft, but for short close ups... it could work in a pinch.

Any updates on the slow motion capabilities with the experimental 10/12 bit modes?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I decided to test some 48fps with the regular 14bit ML build. I processed it as Alexa LogC 24fps through the MLV App.

As suspected... since it’s less than HD... it’s soft, but for short close ups... it could work in a pinch.

Any updates on the slow motion capabilities with the experimental 10/12 bit modes?

Looks fine to me, I don't have any problem with the softness. It's not like the whole film's gonna be 48fps. Just shoot with a sharp lens at its optimal f stop.

What ISO was that?

12 minutes ago, squig said:

Looks fine to me, I don't have any problem with the softness. It's not like the whole film's gonna be 48fps. Just shoot with a sharp lens at its optimal f stop.

What ISO was that?

The first and last were 100 and I believe the middle may have been 200 or 400. The first shot was with the Canon 50mm 1.4 wide open and the other shots were with the Canon 28mm 1.8... also wide open. 

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Definitely looks really filmic, re: that compliment you mentioned. ?

Which shutter angle/speed?

23 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

Definitely looks really filmic, re: that compliment you mentioned. ?

Which shutter angle/speed?

Thanks, 1/120th. Although I’d rarely use it, the biggest missing feature with the 5D3 and ML Raw is 1080p 48 or 60fps... but this kinda works in a pinch...

EDIT: sorry... I used 1/96th. I first tried 60p... but it seemed too much for the camera so I dropped it down to 48p... so I shot that with 1/96th. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:06 AM, mercer said:

Fuck you, the depth is impressive, love it. The 5D is a beast, I wouldn't call this filmic, to me it looks hyper-realistic.