Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

29 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Most of your questions has been already answered in the crop_rec on steroids thread

After you read the whole thread you will be crop rec recording master :D. It's heavy stuff.

At over 1500 posts I'd be hoping they'd have covered a lot of ground...  but ouch!! :anguished: :confounded: :bawling:

I swear..  ML would be a great candidate for someone studying PR to get lots of real-world experience.  And help a huge number of people at the same time!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, kye said:

The recent announcement of the BMPCC 4K has prompted me to do a lot of thinking about cameras in general and what features are useful etc, and I've realised that ML RAW has a killer feature that seems to be relatively unique - the 3x Crop mode.

Is anyone else finding the crop mode to be a big differentiator against other cameras?

It turns my Sigma 18-35 on my 700D into a 29-56mm and 87-168mm lens, which combined with the fact it switches with only a single menu option change, and doesn't require the purchase / carrying / changing of additional lenses, makes it a hugely competitive feature IMHO.  I know this is only in ~1080 and not 4K, but the fact it's RAW goes somewhat to making up for this when compared to cameras that compress their 4K output.

Agreed, the 3x crop mode is still very unique advantage - especially for macro video. The ability to also shoot higher resolution (even at reduced frame rate) in raw is quite amazing.

9 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I just debayer to 4K in davinci resolve.

I thought that Resolve didn't understand the RAW files from ML?  I've been using MLV App to debayer into CinemaDNGs, but if I can skip this step and go straight into Resolve that would be much easier.  

If you could clarify / confirm this then that would be really useful.

10 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

There’s no compression so the image upscales cleanly especially at low iso with post sharpening

IIRC you're shooting at 3.5K on the 5DIII?  I'd imagine that it would upscale pretty easily - I wish I could shoot at that resolution on my 700D!!!  One day maybe :)

1 hour ago, kye said:

I thought that Resolve didn't understand the RAW files from ML?  I've been using MLV App to debayer into CinemaDNGs, but if I can skip this step and go straight into Resolve that would be much easier.  

If you could clarify / confirm this then that would be really useful.

IIRC you're shooting at 3.5K on the 5DIII?  I'd imagine that it would upscale pretty easily - I wish I could shoot at that resolution on my 700D!!!  One day maybe :)

The debayering process is done to the dng and resolve is the best at it. I upscale to 4k in resolve. 14 bit color has enough data to cleanly interpolate color and upscale to 4k

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Looks so cool!!! Great job!!!! How is the 3K to work with? What’s the crop at 3K and what lens did you use?

I think I mostly used a 16-28mm tokina and a 24-70mm tamron.

I had some issues where the shot was comped either to the left or right (you can see the distortion of the 16mm in the beginning "talking" shots). Also you can forget about watching the recording as it records haha.

-ml-

Can anyone tell me the current raw capabilities of the 70d? It's super hard to find any concrete info. I know it can't do full hd but I'm thinking about picking one up as I'd love to have dual pixel af.  Andrew posted a video of it working with the DPAF but that was like 3 years ago. 

Thanks!

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, kaylee said:

aaahahaha that goddam armbar!!!! 

that was great @hmcindie~! question: am i correct that you recorded this without being able to see what you were recording??? :o

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to see the actual shot in 3k raw haha! You can see the framing but the image lags like hell.

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I Started using a tiffen ultra contrast to raise the image off the noise floor. I like the results ! This is with my new LUT btw ;)

With such a high amount of shadow lifting and highlight recovery you get unrealistic colors. You have to do proper tone-mapping and get the contrast back. These images might look good if you grade for proper REC2020 ST2084 HDR. Just switch output color space in RCM, and set your levels properly. Dont forget to switch your scopes to HDR in Perferences / User / Color tab. And buy a HDR capable display :D

@Deadcode ??? What are you talking about ? This is a rec709 image...and there’s no shadow lifting and highlight recovery in the grade. Is your monitor rec2020 ? Im confused as to what you are saying. 

Download the file and check your waveform. It totally fits the entire image in the rec709 display gamut, clipping at 100 ire broadcast standards with no lifting or curve adjustment in the shadows. My monitor is calibrated for rec709, if you are viewing in a rec2020 color space your gamma and chromacity will be way off. This leads to the appearance of oversaturated color and weak contrast. Its good to know that you own an HDR monitor though !

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Deadcode ??? What are you talking about ? This is a rec709 image...and there’s no shadow lifting and highlight recovery in the grade. Is your monitor rec2020 ? Im confused as to what you are saying. 

Download the file and check your waveform. It totally fits the entire image in the rec709 display gamut, clipping at 100 ire broadcast standards with no lifting or curve adjustment in the shadows. My monitor is calibrated for rec709, if you are viewing in a rec2020 color space your gamma and chromacity will be way off. This leads to the appearance of oversaturated color and weak contrast. Its good to know that you own an HDR monitor though !

Im saying you can export to rec2020 from raw footage in davinci, and maybe with proper display these oversaturated neonish colors can look fine.

In rec709 it's simply unrealistic. I have rec709 display too. Everyone is using the 5D to get the most filmic look for cheap, this is not it.

@Deadcode I rather you just say you don't like the look. Rec2020 or Rec709 has nothing to do with the appearance of the colors if nothing is clipping inside the color space.The only time you even see a visible benefit with Rec2020 is when the file is encoded in 10 bit color and displayed on a true rec2020 monitor. Color clipping is one thing but there is nothing clipping. On a technical level this complies to the tee with the standards of the color gamut and you can simply screenshot a still and watch it on your vectorscope. It sounds like you are saying you don't like the rendering of the color and that's fine but that's subjective. What do you define as a filmic look ? 

4 hours ago, capitanazo said:

Guys i have a question.

with the new uhs-i hack, you can record with 14-12-10bit in with sound and without crop mode?

get an eos m1 plus a focal reducer would be a cheapest fullframe killer solution!

The hack doesn't change the usability of the camera - you can use it the same way as without the hack. You can shoot without crop mode with the hack enabled, although it's probably not worth it?

You can shoot all bitrates in raw with sound, but not with lossless raw since that uses the mlv_lite module. However I think someone managed to enable sound recording with the mlv_lite module - worth checking on the magic lantern forum.

In non crop mode the EOS M can only record up to 720p raw (with a lot of aliasing and moire). Using 3x3 pixel binning mode (also non crop) it's still 720p max but at least there's slightly less moire. Regular h.264 is 1080p in non crop mode (with or without the bitrate hack). There's a discussion about that camera here: https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26577-is-the-eos-m-the-digital-super-8-camera/

I posted a video I've done with the EOS M + SD card overclocking on that thread, but reposting it here since that hack is relevant to a number of other Canon DSLRs. Works the same way on the 100D, 700D, 650D and others: