Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 1:04 PM, kaylee said:

guys does the 5d3 do 60fps (raw)? at less than full frame, is that right?

what are my slomo options? do i have any lol

I tend to shoot 60p using the cropped 1600x900 etc resolutions. Haven't touched the compressed options yet, just using the nightly builds.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:59 AM, hyalinejim said:

My short documentary The Cloud of Unknowing, shot on 5D3 Magic Lantern, has been nominated for "Best British / Irish Short Film" by the London Film Critics' Circle. The awards ceremony is on January 28th... so fingers crossed for that!

Here is a short extract from the film with some info about it:

And here are some more details on the award nomination.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4291381&tpl=archnews&force=1

Thanks Magic Lantern!  :)

Dude I love your work ! It has this soft filmic quality to it with beautiful colors and contrast. Wow. Im excited to get my 5d in the mail 

Running 5dIII 1.2.3  Using Extreme Pro card 160mb/s

Using ML crop I get only noise/ static video when importing to Resolve.  This is for all kinds of settings. Tried standard 1920, tried 3.5K, tried 48p, etc.  Same results.   I bought the EOSHD Shooter's Guide and followed it in detail.  The files are mounted with MLVFS and the DNGs are seen by Resolve.  It knows how many frames, etc.  But there is just static noise for the video.

I have been able to get successful results using the ML standard Dec build and shooting raw 1920 24p.  Works great.  But I have never been able to get the ml_crop to work.  Everything in the camera appears as described in the documentation.  The files are created when I shoot.  But all I get for video is pinkish noise and static.

I would appeciate any thoughts.  I must be missing something.  It seems as though MLVFS is not doing the job correctly, but that is just a guess. 

On 01/02/2018 at 8:41 PM, AZGeorge said:

Running 5dIII 1.2.3  Using Extreme Pro card 160mb/s

Using ML crop I get only noise/ static video when importing to Resolve.  This is for all kinds of settings. Tried standard 1920, tried 3.5K, tried 48p, etc.  Same results.   I bought the EOSHD Shooter's Guide and followed it in detail.  The files are mounted with MLVFS and the DNGs are seen by Resolve.  It knows how many frames, etc.  But there is just static noise for the video.

I have been able to get successful results using the ML standard Dec build and shooting raw 1920 24p.  Works great.  But I have never been able to get the ml_crop to work.  Everything in the camera appears as described in the documentation.  The files are created when I shoot.  But all I get for video is pinkish noise and static.

I would appeciate any thoughts.  I must be missing something.  It seems as though MLVFS is not doing the job correctly, but that is just a guess. 

I had the same problem with MLVFS lossless compressed raw files from my EOS M - could only see noise. I think there's an updated version which supports lossless raw but couldn't find it. I'm now using a program called MLV App which works fine with lossless. It also allows you to batch convert the files directly from card into computer if you want it to (similar to mlvfs). I'm using the QTv0.13alpha version of the program: https://ilia3101.github.io/MLV-App/ 

nice! you're getting the hang it!

if you feel like taking the next step : try replicating that same look in davinci resolve.

back when i tried to "get" davinci, i did a conversion from a DNG in capture one pro i really liked. then i imported that image into davinci resolve. and took hours and hours to get it to look the same.

TLDR: it is possible to replicate looks from ACR in Resolve. but it is quite the learning process (hint : Arri LogC is a lifesaver)

On 2/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, kidzrevil said:

im getting the hang of working with cinemadng in adobe premiere. The canon is as organic as it gets

Hi kidzrevil, I love the colour in your shots but I'm confused as to where the aliasing is coming from. I made a short with ML Raw+5DmkIII a couple years ago and there were zero image issues like that. I was using one of the older versions of ML without the 10bit/12bit compression, just the regular 1080p Raw, I don't remember the exact build, but the only time I had image issues was due to improper exposure and pushing it too far in post and even then there were no issues with aliasing. I shot it mostly on Zeiss ZF primes for lower light scenes and Takumar primes for day exteriors.

Is the aliasing something that has come with the newer nightly builds? I can't see a Voigtlander lens causing this.

Anyone have ideas about this or finding image issues in their shots?

4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Kelly it may be due to how adobe premiere is debayering the image. Im shooting in the 14 bit mode and exporting to 16bit cinemadng idk what’s causing it im glad it just isn’t as prevalent as it used to be. 

Ah ok I never thought about Premier maybe causing it. I used ACR to put all my clips into Log and then edit/grade in Final Cut so maybe using ACR as the 'one light' was the difference.

You get different options depending on whether you have mlv_rec or mlv_lite modules loaded.

MLV LITE: If you go into the menu for RAW Video you should see an item for Data Format - you can change bit depth and compression. Lossless plus slightly lower bit depth allows longer recording times, higher frame rates, higher resolutions in crop_rec.  There is no sound, or at least there wasn't last time I looked into this. But read this https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16650.msg192161#msg192161)

MLV REC: You can change bit depth only