Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

20 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Colors look awesome @mercer. Also the locations are very photographic. Keep up the great work. 

When will we get to see some moving pictures?

Thanks Jonesy, I really appreciate that. Man, this movie is so Lo-Fi it’s kind of taken on a mind of it’s own. Due to a family medical issue, I lost some filming time this Fall and due to casting issues... nobody likes working for free... I am constantly rewriting the script to accommodate actors and tempt them for casting. Over the next month I am going to put together a 30 second teaser to try and drum up some interest from a couple actors I want to cast... so to make a long story short... soon hopefully. I’ll leave you with another screengrab from my last shoot and best location I have found...

312315EE-C9D0-42AF-865F-15765AE339B9.jpeg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was wondering if you can use the EOSHD C-Log with ML raw? I know it doesn't really matter since your shooting in raw.

Also, what do you guys think about switching from the A6300 to the 5D3 ML Raw. I'm liking the image and color a lot from the 5D3 @3.5k versus the A6300 @4k, and the 60fps looks way better than the A6300. Reliability, stability, dynamic range on the 5D3 Raw is my main concern.

19 hours ago, raf702 said:

I was wondering if you can use the EOSHD C-Log with ML raw? I know it doesn't really matter since your shooting in raw.

Also, what do you guys think about switching from the A6300 to the 5D3 ML Raw. I'm liking the image and color a lot from the 5D3 @3.5k versus the A6300 @4k, and the 60fps looks way better than the A6300. Reliability, stability, dynamic range on the 5D3 Raw is my main concern.

You can convert raw to any log space you want. If you are using EosHD C-log LUT's you can use Canon C-Log conversion in Davinci resolve.

5D3 is a 1080p 25p camera if we are talking about reliability and stability. Dynamic range is good, but it's 11,7 EV and you can get about 13 stops from A6300.

Yes the 5D3 has the best cinematic image for the price range, but you have to deal with huge store space consuming and longer post processing times

Im using 5D2 and A6300 right now. I will sell de 5D very soon. I think everyone should try 5D ML RAW once. You can see if it fits to your needs. 

Now, after a year of tweaking i can get very nice colour from the a6300 so the 5D no longer have the advantage..

So i think if you can do it, buy a 5D3 for a few month but don't sell your a6300.

4 hours ago, Deadcode said:

You can convert raw to any log space you want. If you are using EosHD C-log LUT's you can use Canon C-Log conversion in Davinci resolve.

5D3 is a 1080p 25p camera if we are talking about reliability and stability. Dynamic range is good, but it's 11,7 EV and you can get about 13 stops from A6300.

Yes the 5D3 has the best cinematic image for the price range, but you have to deal with huge store space consuming and longer post processing times

Im using 5D2 and A6300 right now. I will sell de 5D very soon. I think everyone should try 5D ML RAW once. You can see if it fits to your needs. 

Now, after a year of tweaking i can get very nice colour from the a6300 so the 5D no longer have the advantage..

So i think if you can do it, buy a 5D3 for a few month but don't sell your a6300.

I appreciate the info, I use to have a 5D2 with ML Raw at least 4 years ago. Obviously a lot has significantly change since then, and much better now especially on the 5D3.

I've been watching lots of 3.5k videos of the 5d3 raw, and it certainly looks more cinematic then the A6300. Maybe I could just get a 5D3 as secondary to the A6300.

1 hour ago, raf702 said:

I appreciate the info, I use to have a 5D2 with ML Raw at least 4 years ago. Obviously a lot has significantly change since then, and much better now especially on the 5D3.

I've been watching lots of 3.5k videos of the 5d3 raw, and it certainly looks more cinematic then the A6300. Maybe I could just get a 5D3 as secondary to the A6300.

Maybe sell the A6300 as long as they sell. Then get a Panasonic G85 as your A all purpose cam for a great mix of convinience, usuability and nice quality. Colors are nice, codec is great, image is nice. Then with the left money start to save up for a 5D3 as you ultimate color sensation and serious 2K RAW cinema camera.

6 hours ago, Deadcode said:

I´d sell the Sony and get a used Lumix 85 plus a little profit. Do you have Sony footage you would like to show? I don´t mean that as a proof. I am just interested since I am always exited to see what people can do with these 8bit DSLMs. Kidzevil, member of this forum, has provided some awesome examples with the A6500. Though to me I think his results with the G85 are even nicer and more consistent regarding color quality. And easier to achieve.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Do you have Sony footage you would like to show? I don´t mean that as a proof. I am just interested since I am always exited to see what people can do with these 8bit DSLMs. Kidzevil, member of this forum, has provided some awesome examples with the A6500. Though to me I think his results with the G85 are even nicer and more consistent regarding color quality. And easier to achieve.

I will in "his" topic with comparison shots against 5D, but not in this thread, i dont wanna flood this with sony stuff

I tested Kidzevil's workflow and it's very good. Almost as good as mine :P

21 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Maybe sell the A6300 as long as they sell. Then get a Panasonic G85 as your A all purpose cam for a great mix of convinience, usuability and nice quality. Colors are nice, codec is great, image is nice. Then with the left money start to save up for a 5D3 as you ultimate color sensation and serious 2K RAW cinema camera.

I´d sell the Sony and get a used Lumix 85 plus a little profit. Do you have Sony footage you would like to show? I don´t mean that as a proof. I am just interested since I am always exited to see what people can do with these 8bit DSLMs. Kidzevil, member of this forum, has provided some awesome examples with the A6500. Though to me I think his results with the G85 are even nicer and more consistent regarding color quality. And easier to achieve.

I appreciate the info, but not a fan of Panny. I had a GH4 in the past. I’m not impressed with it, and I don’t like the sensor size, colors, and low light.

6 hours ago, hmcindie said:

I just sold my a6300.

5dIII raw is just a different world. Storage space? Just buy some harddrives.

How has that experience been for you, moving from an A6300 to the 5D3 raw?

20 hours ago, raf702 said:

How are you liking the overall image and colors?   And have you tried the 3.5k yet? In comparison to when you shot 4k with the a6300.

Overall image / colors are excellent. There's some banding at the bottom shadows and it can't keep highlights the way slog2 can but everything else rocks compared to the a6300. I'm not that into 4k yet so I haven't tried the 3.5k modes. More important for me is to figure out how to move the camera cinematically now.

6 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Overall image / colors are excellent. There's some banding at the bottom shadows and it can't keep highlights the way slog2 can but everything else rocks compared to the a6300. I'm not that into 4k yet so I haven't tried the 3.5k modes. More important for me is to figure out how to move the camera cinematically now.

Great info, how’s the highlight roll off? And do highlights blow out easily? Thanks 

12 hours ago, raf702 said:

Great info, how’s the highlight roll off? And do highlights blow out easily? Thanks 

The highlight roll-off is pretty good (I tend to use Adobe raw for it). With Resolve you may need to fiddle with some settings to prevent oversaturated and clipped highlights. I tend to fiddle with the roll-offs myself (even with the a6300) in Colorista or Resolve (bringing the highlights down with a nice curve and desaturating them).

@raf702 I also made the switch from an a7s (which I shot with in both HD and 4K) to the 5D3, and have to say I have never looked back. To me, the DR in the 5D3 is so much more "true", in terms that you actually have control over it in post. Unlike the thin 8-bit "14 stops", that has to be at 3200 ASA, perfectly exposed and with heavy amount of filtration in order to be worked with properly in post. By the time I had got a reasonably life-like image in the grade, was also the point when I had to deal with the aftermath (color casts, skin tones, noise, etc) and the limitations of the Sony. I get ten times more excited looking back at what I shot with the 5D3, than any other prosumer Sony cam I have used:) 

12 hours ago, hmcindie said:

The highlight roll-off is pretty good (I tend to use Adobe raw for it). With Resolve you may need to fiddle with some settings to prevent oversaturated and clipped highlights. I tend to fiddle with the roll-offs myself (even with the a6300) in Colorista or Resolve (bringing the highlights down with a nice curve and desaturating them).

Nice! I use Resolve since I was paying Adobe PP monthly and only used it once or twice a month. 

9 hours ago, SigurdW said:

@raf702 I also made the switch from an a7s (which I shot with in both HD and 4K) to the 5D3, and have to say I have never looked back. To me, the DR in the 5D3 is so much more "true", in terms that you actually have control over it in post. Unlike the thin 8-bit "14 stops", that has to be at 3200 ASA, perfectly exposed and with heavy amount of filtration in order to be worked with properly in post. By the time I had got a reasonably life-like image in the grade, was also the point when I had to deal with the aftermath (color casts, skin tones, noise, etc) and the limitations of the Sony. I get ten times more excited looking back at what I shot with the 5D3, than any other prosumer Sony cam I have used:) 

Awesome info 

Here's a quick test I've done with an EOS-M using crop mode 12-bit - 1472x796. I colour corrected on Resolve, using a grading method which Juan Melara posted on another EOSHD thread (see link below the video). The music is a fragment from a track I wrote on Ableton Live:

Grading tutorial in the Blackmagic thread:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 3:37 PM, Alpicat said:

Here's a quick test I've done with an EOS-M using crop mode 12-bit - 1472x796. I colour corrected on Resolve, using a grading method which Juan Melara posted on another EOSHD thread (see link below the video). The music is a fragment from a track I wrote on Ableton Live:

Grading tutorial in the Blackmagic thread:

That looks pretty good. I could never find a consistent method to get rid of the pink dots on the eos-m. 

I just posted a screenshot, on the BM thread, that @hyalinejim sent to me a few months back. @Juan Melara ‘s method seems similar except with hyalinejim’s method you set it up in the settings as opposed to the color panel.

For some reason I could never get hyalinejim’s method to work because one of the options were greyed out... I don’t know if I was doing something wrong or if the version of Resolve I’m running doesn’t offer it... it’s probably me.

Anyway, I’ve always loved the LogC look with ML Raw and find it grades so nicely with simple Arri to Rec709 LUTS... so any method to get me there is welcomed.

Here’s a screengrab from a recent shoot using Juan’s method.

42728D76-93D6-49B0-B4D1-1E23FA1E4E7D.jpeg