Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, squig said:

Looks like Magic Lantern on digic 6 cameras may soon be a thing http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.msg189584#msg189584

That seems promising. An 80D may be in my future. 

Also, I vaguely remember you saying that you only shoot in crop mode? If my memory is correct, could you explain the benefits?

Obviously, it's interesting to open up a few more lens choices.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

That seems promising. An 80D may be in my future. 

Also, I vaguely remember you saying that you only shoot in crop mode? If my memory is correct, could you explain the benefits?

Obviously, it's interesting to open up a few more lens choices.

I want an 80D too for the DPAF.

I'm mostly just using crop mode for establishing shots, the benefit being higher resolution (pixels plus no line skipping), the deeper DOF in crop mode is handy too.

11 hours ago, squig said:

I want an 80D too for the DPAF.

I'm mostly just using crop mode for establishing shots, the benefit being higher resolution (pixels plus no line skipping), the deeper DOF in crop mode is handy too.

So for your establishing shots, you are able to get more resolution, for more wide angle detail? If that's the case, why not shoot everything in crop mode? Wouldn't that help with close up detail as well, plus open up some aps-c lens options? Btw, what is the total crop on the 5D3 with 3x3?

23 hours ago, mercer said:

So for your establishing shots, you are able to get more resolution, for more wide angle detail? If that's the case, why not shoot everything in crop mode? Wouldn't that help with close up detail as well, plus open up some aps-c lens options? Btw, what is the total crop on the 5D3 with 3x3?

1080p raw has enough detail with Leica-r glass, and the widest Leica-r I have is 24mm. It's a 1.81x crop @ 3168x1320 (2.39:1)

21 minutes ago, squig said:

1080p raw has enough detail with Leica-r glass, and the widest Leica-r I have is 24mm. It's a 1.81x crop @ 3168x1320 (2.39:1)

Oh okay, you're using the experimental build for your establishing shots. Obviously not good for close ups with the liveview issue. Makes sense. 

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Oh okay, you're using the experimental build for your establishing shots. Obviously not good for close ups with the liveview issue. Makes sense. 

Yeah, that's it. And until the film fairy delivers me a 19mm Leica-r ROM (over $4000 USD) it means mixing lenses.

I just downloaded he how to guide to try and answer some questions. I couldn't see the answers, so can some one answer a couple for me? I don't want or need 3.5k, I just want full frame 1080p. I also want to shoot 48 frames (actually, 50, if it does this as my projects tend to be 25fps). 

Can I shoot full frame 48/50 at 1080P?

Can I get 1080p out of the hdmi without stepping, so I can record a proxy on my blackmagic video assist and have a sharp image to focus with? I need to see exactly what I'm shooting and be able to review it.

cheers paul

You can record external to hdmi at 1080p.  I do this with an atomos ninja blade.

You can even let it trigger the external recorder to record of you enable the in camera h264 proxy recording.

This will give you RAW files in the compact flash card in camera, H264 .mov files on the SD card in camera, And the external recording on the monitor.

There is an app called switch in the magic lantern forum, that can cut out the extra black frames that this workflow gives to the proxies. 

This way you can edit with the proxy files in and later sync up the raw files for grading.

I only tested normal 25 fps with this workflow,  48 may behave differently

3 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

You can record external to hdmi at 1080p.  I do this with an atomos ninja blade.

You can even let it trigger the external recorder to record of you enable the in camera h264 proxy recording.

This will give you RAW files in the compact flash card in camera, H264 .mov files on the SD card in camera, And the external recording on the monitor.

There is an app called switch in the magic lantern forum, that can cut out the extra black frames that this workflow gives to the proxies. 

This way you can edit with the proxy files in and later sync up the raw files for grading.

Great tips.

Recently downloaded crop_rec_4k.2017Sep06, as well as the 3.5k Raw video guide. Read thoroughly then applied process. When trying to view files on my mac, all I see is snow/static. But when viewing same files on camera I can see exactly what I recorded. I've used other MagicLantern builds on both my 7D and 5D mark 3 for about a year and have not experienced this issue before. I've always used MLVFS with no problem. 

Due to the issue, I also used mlv_dump and MlRawViewer with the same results. If anyone has any resolution and know where I can get help with this I'd appreciate it. 

Attached is a sample .dng file. 

M09-0629_000267.dng

On 09/09/2017 at 0:03 PM, Lars Steenhoff said:

thanks Lars and Andrew.

that is what I am wanting to know. Andrew- you had said about 48fps 1080p on your pdf, but I didn't find about what it said about this being completely full frame. Great that it does.

cheers paul

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

@Hakeem Foster  you probably need a later version of MLVFS

Indeed. The older versions of MLVFS don't recognise the new lossless compression used to make 3.5K possible at reasonable data-rates.

Update all your Magic Lantern workflow software including Resolve 14 now it's out of beta.

hey guys, I'm having trouble with the april 4th null pointer bug with the new build. I get the error message every time I install a newer 4k build after the april 4th (which is now known to have these bugs). I need someone to walk me through the process to remove the error. I've dumped my rom, I've formatted cards, I've cleared canon settings, I've done the battery pull... I still get the error message without fail.  If I install the normal nightly build it works fine. I've read through the forum on ML but it is still unclear to me how to resolve it. I've tried contacting them on IRC like it says to do but have not got a response from anyone on the ML side.  I'd love to start testing this new build but my camera won't allow me to do so...  If anyone knows what process I have to go through in order to get it up and running again I would be very grateful.  Thank you in advance.  Running a 5D3 1.2.3.

2 hours ago, Rcorrell said:

hey guys, I'm having trouble with the april 4th null pointer bug with the new build. I get the error message every time I install a newer 4k build after the april 4th (which is now known to have these bugs). I need someone to walk me through the process to remove the error. I've dumped my rom, I've formatted cards, I've cleared canon settings, I've done the battery pull... I still get the error message without fail.  If I install the normal nightly build it works fine. I've read through the forum on ML but it is still unclear to me how to resolve it. I've tried contacting them on IRC like it says to do but have not got a response from anyone on the ML side.  I'd love to start testing this new build but my camera won't allow me to do so...  If anyone knows what process I have to go through in order to get it up and running again I would be very grateful.  Thank you in advance.  Running a 5D3 1.2.3.

You need to talk to a1ex on the ML forum. It's a very serious bug and could brick your camera.

1 hour ago, squig said:

You need to talk to a1ex on the ML forum. It's a very serious bug and could brick your camera.

Shit, I am running the April 4th build as well but with 1.13 Canon firmware. I have not uploaded any of the experimental builds, only the basic 1080p. I have not had any warnings or errors... should I be concerned?

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Shit, I am running the April 4th build as well but with 1.13 Canon firmware. I have not uploaded any of the experimental builds, only the basic 1080p. I have not had any warnings or errors... should I be concerned?

As far as I know, it's only an issue with the experimental build.