Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

I'm new to ML Raw and I've done some experimenting with my 7d. I've done some searching around for CF card suitability, are 64GB 1066x versions still the best way to go? It looks like the newer 128GB Komputerbay 1050x cards should work but with all the bad press around their 128 1066x cards I'm not sure if best to buy. P.s. Raw is incredible and ML is amazing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2017. 07. 24. at 9:22 PM, cameraeye said:

I'm new to ML Raw and I've done some experimenting with my 7d. I've done some searching around for CF card suitability, are 64GB 1066x versions still the best way to go? It looks like the newer 128GB Komputerbay 1050x cards should work but with all the bad press around their 128 1066x cards I'm not sure if best to buy. P.s. Raw is incredible and ML is amazing.

If you want rock solid performance go for Sandisk Extreme Pro card with 160MB/s. Lexar 128 1066x are fine too, there are few complains mostly about fake cards. Komputerbay is rebranded Lexar, 64GB 1000x is rock solid, 128GB is questionable. Transcend 64GB 1000x rock solid, 128GB 1000x is slow, not recommended.

I have Lexar 64GB 1066x from amazon and it's working perfectly.

1 hour ago, EthanAlexander said:

I've been using two 256GB 1066x Komputerbay cards for three years no problems at all. Just test the speeds when you get your order and return if it doesn't match as advertised.

but with 7D you should not use bigger cards than 128 GB. Even with 128GB you have to dive deep into the forums to be able to install ML properly. (at 5D2 the camera cannot set the boot flag on 128 GB card, and i think the problem is the same on the 7D)

Thanks to everyone who replied to me, very helpful.

18 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

I've been using two 256GB 1066x Komputerbay cards for three years no problems at all. Just test the speeds when you get your order and return if it doesn't match as advertised.

256GB in the 7D? I've been trying to find the maximum working capacity for the 7D.

Some of you may interested, i tested my Feiyu MG V2 gimbal with my 5D Mark II + 24-105 F4 L

The max payload for the gimbal is 1630g, the camera + lens is 1520, and it worked perfectly. I i didn't even tuned to motors yet.

I used ML RAW with 1856x928 at 23,976 fps. The focus was fixed (the AF is terrible with live view on the 5D2)

The gimbal was calibrated with the lens set to 35mm. After that at the 24/50/70/105mm there was no recalibration the motors handled perfectly the unbalanced setup.

Colorgraded in Davinci Resolve with Cinelog and Ektar 100 Advanced LUT from hyalinejim

5D2 on Feiyu MG V2 gimbal

Hullo everyone,

I just wanna let people here know about a new MLV processing/correcting/grading app I'm developing - It's called 'MLV App'... unless I come bother to come up with a better name.

Here's how it looks:

MLVAPP.png

The goal is to make a cross platform app for converting MLV files to ProRes/h.264/whatever you want.

This is a plug, but I'm not making any money, as it is an opensource, free software, and free app... I'm just announcing it so maybe I can get more people to contribute - both testing/feedback and help with code is valuable.

Here's the Magic Lantern forum discussion: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

Here's the source code on GitHub: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App

Downloads are here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases

Theres a 'Cocoa' version and a 'Qt' version, the Cocoa version has a GUI built natively for macOS, and the Qt version works on Mac and Windows, and soon Linux (some errors compiling right now) - both versions have the same exact MLV processing and reading code, just the user interface is built differently.

Here's a demo video that shows how the processed images look:

(Note: the video was created with an older version of the app)

It's a pretty basic app right now, but I think the processed images look nice. It supports 10/12/14 bit RAW video, however I have not yet implemented compressed RAW, that's coming as soon as possible.

(I'm the one who made the RAW calculator at the start of this topic btw)

Enjoy :glasses:

9 minutes ago, Ilia3101 said:

Hullo everyone,

I just wanna let people here know about a new MLV processing/correcting/grading app I'm developing - It's called 'MLV App'... unless I come bother to come up with a better name.

The goal is to make a cross platform app for converting MLV files to ProRes/h.264/whatever you want.

This is a plug, but I'm not making any money, as it is an opensource, free software, and free app... I'm just announcing it so maybe I can get more people to contribute - both testing/feedback and help with code is valuable.

Here's the Magic Lantern forum discussion: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

Here's the source code on GitHub: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App

Downloads are here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases

Theres a 'Cocoa' version and a 'Qt' version, the Cocoa version has a GUI built natively for macOS, and the Qt version works on Mac and Windows, and soon Linux (some errors compiling right now) - both versions have the same exact MLV processing and reading code, just the user interface is built differently.

Here's a demo video that shows how the processed images look:

(Note: the video was created with an older version of the app)

It's a pretty basic app right now, but I think the processed images look nice. It supports 10/12/14 bit RAW video, however I have not yet implemented compressed RAW, that's coming as soon as possible.

(I'm the one who made the RAW calculator at the start of this topic btw)

Enjoy :glasses:

Looks great!!! Gotta love ML Raw and you developers that make our jobs easier. I appreciate your work and look forward to trying it out. I haven't had the opportunity to look closely at your program, but does it have, or do you plan to offer Log output to ProRes like the Footage App and ML Raw Viewer has? I love the LogC output in ML Raw Viewer but the program hasn't been working that great since I updated my Mac to Sierra.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Looks great!!! Gotta love ML Raw and you developers that make our jobs easier. I appreciate your work and look forward to trying it out. I haven't had the opportunity to look closely at your program, but does it have, or do you plan to offer Log output to ProRes like the Footage App and ML Raw Viewer has? I love the LogC output in ML Raw Viewer but the program hasn't been working that great since I updated my Mac to Sierra.

It doesn't don't have that, but it's actually a good idea! I'll add an ouput curve selector with options such as LogC etc... kind of like MLRawViewer has. It's on the todo list now :) Shouldn't be too difficult.

Thaank you!!!

BTW your blog posts (such as "5 underrated cinematic images from “forgotten” cameras") are one of the reasons I chose to get a 5Dmk2 after owning a GH2! I really appreciate the love for old/inexpensive gear on here.

And yep, the Helios 44 series is amazing for bokeh shots like that, especially when considering the price (the copy I used in that video was 5 pounds!!!)

Just don't use it at f2.0 on a landscape shot... I ruined a few too many shots on a trip to Portugal last Christmas that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a used pair of Komputerbay 256gb 1066x cards and seem to be getting a noticeably slower start up with these cards on my 5D MKIII compared to my Lexar 256gb 1066x card. About a 10 sec startup time with the Komputerbay vs about a 5 sec startup time with the Lexar (i.e. the time it takes the full menu to appear). This is with Global draw turned on (seem to remember that being an important factor, been a while so not 100% sure).

Bench mark test showed 79 MB/s for the Komputerbay vs 85 MB/s for the Lexar. 

Anyone with an idea of whether that's normal for Komputerbay vs Lexar 256gb 1066x CF cards?

On 8/12/2017 at 2:02 AM, Ty Harper said:

Just picked up a used pair of Komputerbay 256gb 1066x cards and seem to be getting a noticeably slower start up with these cards on my 5D MKIII compared to my Lexar 256gb 1066x card. About a 10 sec startup time with the Komputerbay vs about a 5 sec startup time with the Lexar (i.e. the time it takes the full menu to appear). This is with Global draw turned on (seem to remember that being an important factor, been a while so not 100% sure).

Bench mark test showed 79 MB/s for the Komputerbay vs 85 MB/s for the Lexar. 

Anyone with an idea of whether that's normal for Komputerbay vs Lexar 256gb 1066x CF cards?

I record to Komputerbay CF but keep ML on a small SD card. My 5D3 starts up in 4.1 seconds.