Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

ACR gives nicer colours and cleaner image than Resolve. To avoid flicker don't use shadows, highlights, whites, blacks or contrast - use exposure slider or curves instead. Or better still, forget about grading in ACR, buy Cinelog and grade later.

For fast jobs I use Resolve. For maximum IQ I bite the bullet and transcode overnight to 444 Cinelog masters using ACR for AE. Search for a Smart Import 2 script.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

ACR gives nicer colours and cleaner image than Resolve. To avoid flicker don't use shadows, highlights, whites, blacks or contrast - use exposure slider or curves instead. Or better still, forget about grading in ACR, buy Cinelog and grade later.

For fast jobs I use Resolve. For maximum IQ I bite the bullet and transcode overnight to 444 Cinelog masters using ACR for AE. Search for a Smart Import 2 script.

Smart import 2 is amazing! Thankyou for recommending it, its solved all the main issues I had!

Such an awesome script!

With Cinelog, so you buy it, install it, it appears in the camera profile section in ACR. Then just  select it, export as normal.  Then I can open the files in resolve and grade the cinelog.

Is that right?

Thanks

15 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

I've been running a build from late 2013 that has SUPER stable 14 bit at full 1080 on my 5D3, so I've never been willing to update. Can anyone confirm how stable the 12 bit compressed build is? I'd love the smaller file sizes.

Why not keep that version on an SD, then try some of the new builds on a different one?

The latest 4K build seems very steady with all the normal modes (1080/24p etc)

25 minutes ago, Boygetslost said:

With Cinelog, so you buy it, install it, it appears in the camera profile section in ACR. Then just  select it, export as normal.  Then I can open the files in resolve and grade the cinelog.

Yes, that's correct. This is for jobs where image quality is of utmost importance. You can get similar results debayering to Alexa gamma and gamut in Resolve, but as you've seen colour and noise isn't as good.

Thanks hyalinejim. 

The noise is very noticeably worse in resolve, though i'm doing a few tests now.

So in the ACR box, i literally touch nothing? (apart from maybe WB tweek) just select cinelog and then export.

I have been using 4444 and 4444xq as an export from AE, do you have the Gamma at automatic or switch it to none?

Thanks

Chris 

Set your WB in ACR and leave everything else untouched. I turn off sharpness, and have luma noise at 0 and colour noise at 20.

Set up your AE project as 16bit Rec709. Export a test clip and reimport it to check that your colour management settings on export are correct. Some versions of AE have a bug here.

3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Set your WB in ACR and leave everything else untouched. I turn off sharpness, and have luma noise at 0 and colour noise at 20.

Set up your AE project as 16bit Rec709. Export a test clip and reimport it to check that your colour management settings on export are correct. Some versions of AE have a bug here.

You should try 50 sharpening with 0.5 radius too, i prefer this over the defailt 25 and 1.

If you expose correctly the noise should not be a problem.

I've run some test with underexposed and pushed clips with Davinci + Neat vs ACR vs ACR+ Neat. I think Davinci + Neat video can give better results then ACR with best available settings. But it's slower. Of course ACR + Neat is the best but the improvement is not huge but it takes ages to render.

hyalinejim you are very good at colormatching. Dont you have a good tip to match Davinci's color to ACR's? I have tryied with Cinelog, but it seem like they differ from each other

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Why not keep that version on an SD, then try some of the new builds on a different one?

The latest 4K build seems very steady with all the normal modes (1080/24p etc)

It's been so long since I did all this I wasn't sure I could go back. Is this the build you're referring to:

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 9.45.22 AM.png

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Having 1080/48fps and 60fps is great!

Are you getting 60fps at 10bit or 12bit? Is it continuous? And finally, do you know if there is any way to set shutter to 180 degree shutter angle instead of shutter speed? Or is there a way to save multiple settings?

Anyone using After Effects/ACR be aware that Adobe disabled multiprocessing in CC2015. Rendering is way faster in CS6 and CC2014 on my 6 core Mac Pro. CS6 is a bit faster than CC2014. Make sure you have multiprocessing enabled in AE prefs.

VitPCKk.png

15 hours ago, mercer said:

Are you getting 60fps at 10bit or 12bit? Is it continuous? And finally, do you know if there is any way to set shutter to 180 degree shutter angle instead of shutter speed? Or is there a way to save multiple settings?

Only 14bit lossless is available.

I get around 10 seconds at 60fps and 30 seconds at 48fps (seems to vary depending on scene and ISO, so worth testing alot)

25 seconds and 60 seconds when conformed to 24fps.... More than usable for alot of shots.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:42 PM, Andrew Reid said:

3072 x 1308 is 95.5MB to the card with 14bit lossless. What card are you using that gives you such a high sustained data rate? I thought it maxed out at around 85MB/s on the 5D3?

It is a shame they have not got live-view working yet with the 3K/4K mode, it's impossible to frame a shot.

5DIII max speed is around 100MB/sec. course it can write at that speed only with with globaldraw off 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

IMG_20170719_160609.jpg

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Only 14bit lossless is available.

I get around 10 seconds at 60fps and 30 seconds at 48fps (seems to vary depending on scene and ISO, so worth testing alot)

25 seconds and 60 seconds when conformed to 24fps.... More than usable for alot of shots.

Gotcha, yeah I tested the 48fps before. It looks nice. Pain to change the settings on the fly.