Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, kkfok1031 said:

Thanks Jimmy, will get one to try asap, can't wait.

No probs... definitely a case of try before you buy, for your needs.... i think the live view issues will be a nightmare, underwater.

11 minutes ago, kidfob said:

Jimmy, what are your thoughts on 25 ISO? Does that have worse dynamic range than 100 or is it the same except now you have more headroom.

ISO100 is the minimum ISO on Canon cameras. Anything below is digitally pulled from ISO100. Long time ago before raw recording these values gave you better roll-off in the highlight when you recorded in h264. 

With raw recording only analog gain levels are valid. So 100/200/400/800/1600/(3200) anything in between or higher are digital ISO values. if you put the files in davinci resolve they have the same "brightness" as the analog ISO which used as a source to push or pull. So there are no magic if you are trying to use ISO160/640/1250 which were the magical low noise ISO values before the raw era.

5 hours ago, Deadcode said:

ISO100 is the minimum ISO on Canon cameras. Anything below is digitally pulled from ISO100. Long time ago before raw recording these values gave you better roll-off in the highlight when you recorded in h264. 

With raw recording only analog gain levels are valid. So 100/200/400/800/1600/(3200) anything in between or higher are digital ISO values. if you put the files in davinci resolve they have the same "brightness" as the analog ISO which used as a source to push or pull. So there are no magic if you are trying to use ISO160/640/1250 which were the magical low noise ISO values before the raw era.

You can also lower ISO by applying a ML iso reduction to have better highlight rolloff Usually -1/3 or -1/2 stop increases DR with ML so best iso is Canon ISO 100 - 1/2 ML Iso -> 50ISO 

• Administrators

So I see with the Canon live-view picture, having 12bit enabled in the raw video menu, darkens the image and 11-8bit considerably so.

This makes exposure quite difficult with the standard Canon preview, which is why Magic Lantern have the new Framing mode, with the slow fps.

I find the slow-fps really bothers me. Although it is amazing they have this at all.

Are there any work-arounds to boost the live-view exposure back up to 14bit even though you intend to record at 12?

2 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Hey everyone, just started using ML on the 5d iii again. really enjoying it.

What are the best workflows currently to maximise the image quality in import and post?

I don't mind if it involves extra steps, just what ever delivers the better result.

Thanks

I think for the very best quality, go through ARC (adobe raw converter). I find i can get more out of the highlights and shadows with ARC than any other software.... I find the tool for tweaking saturation on different colours is really helpful too. If i've shot everything in similar light... I can do a first grade with ARC, save a preset and apply to all the other clips I bring in.

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I think for the very best quality, go through ARC (adobe raw converter). I find i can get more out of the highlights and shadows with ARC than any other software.... I find the tool for tweaking saturation on different colours is really helpful too. If i've shot everything in similar light... I can do a first grade with ARC, save a preset and apply to all the other clips I bring in.

Resolve is very good too with using MLV Raw footage :)

23 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks Jimmy. So are you using ARC through after effects?

What do you use to convert the MLV's? In the past I used Rawmagic, though I have started using MLVFS.

Yea, After Effects... I process the MLVs with mlv_dump, it's a bit confusing, at first, as you have to use Terminal, but it is lightning fast.

My process for quality:

1. mlvfs -> cinema dng

2. resolve -> editable dnxhd files (sometimes I use these to the end and skip the linking back to the raw files if in a hurry)

3. edit with the dnxhd files

4. online the edit in after effects with ACR to the original raw files (takes a while to link everything as AE wants to link them one by one).

5. effects and grade

6. export a master dnxhd

If I need to do some re-edits or different cuts, I'll send those specific files to AE.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

With AE, how do you avoid flicker? I've noticed some of the controls can make the image flicker a little.

Does anyone have any workflow recommendations  for AE? Like is there anyway to see a diffrent frame in ACR, not just the first one? 

So far I have been processing the shot with ACR in AE, then adding each shot to a separate comp, then rendering each comp, is there a faster way?

38 minutes ago, Boygetslost said:

Does anyone have any workflow recommendations  for AE? Like is there anyway to see a diffrent frame in ACR, not just the first one?

Pick the frame you want to adjust... save the settings as a preset, then open the 1st frame of the sequence and apply.