Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

On 6/7/2017 at 7:58 PM, Jimmy said:

3072x1308 (2.35:1) is the sweet spot, right now. Continuous, smallish crop (under 2x)

Thanks. May I know the crop of this resolution? Is that possible to achieve higher resolution if I just need less than 20 seconds of shooting and 10 bit raw only? I am thinking about using it underwater, it is rare to have a clip more than 20 seconds.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

Yeah, I just matrixed the info. Its never simple these days is it?

5D2:

1856x1044 24p for about 17mp before buffer fills up (70MB/s write speed)

2144x1076 (2,61x crop) 24p 10bit continous

moire/aliasing in fullframe mode

5D3:

1920x1200 30p continous with 10 bit

3K continous with compressed raw

no moire or aliasing

lower noise

double price.

2 hours ago, kkfok1031 said:

Thanks. May I know the crop of this resolution? Is that possible to achieve higher resolution if I just need less than 20 seconds of shooting and 10 bit raw only? I am thinking about using it underwater, it is rare to have a clip more than 20 seconds.

As far I can see, you cannot go below 14bit lossless on these cropped modes. Still learning these new features myself though.

Ratio is 2:351

I'll try some higher vertical resolutions and post my findings.

ok... So the 3:5K 1:1 centered mode allows for lower bit depths.

at 3520x1320 11-8bit lossless, I could shoot for 20+ seconds

For some reason, i had to force the fps to 24... It was showing 30fps in that mode, even though the camera was set to 24fps

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

For some reason, i had to force the fps to 24... It was showing 30fps in that mode, even though the camera was set to 24fps

10-12-14 bits possible only

12 bit compressed can give you smaller file sizes, but in 10 bit compressed the file sizes are bigger! (because the way the whole think was implemented)

I think you have to select 24p in the normal canon menu or you have to use fps overdrive in ml menu

Yea, it was set to 24fps in Canon menu.

Certainly some glitches in this build, but to be expected (not moaning at all!)

I find that I have to occasionally power off and on again to get certain settings to stick.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Deadcode said:

10-12-14 bits possible only

12 bit compressed can give you smaller file sizes, but in 10 bit compressed the file sizes are bigger! (because the way the whole think was implemented)

I think you have to select 24p in the normal canon menu or you have to use fps overdrive in ml menu

I'm not seeing that 10bit lossless is larger than 12bit lossless.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:57 AM, HelsinkiZim said:

Sorry was going to answer but then realized somebody else did. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Yea, it was set to 24fps in Canon menu.

Certainly some glitches in this build, but to be expected (not moaning at all!)

I find that I have to occasionally power off and on again to get certain settings to stick.

With the 3K/4K Raw... is it a module or a nightly experimental build?

On 8/7/2017 at 1:27 AM, Jimmy said:

Thanks a lot for your great help. For the "crop" what I want to know is the the crop ratio in FOV, for example if I use a 50mm lens, what is the approximate FOV after using the setting of 3520 x 1320? Does ratio of 2.351 mean the 50mm lens becomes a 117.5mm lens?

I once had a 5D3, but sold it for a 1D-C 2 years ago for 4K, now is thinking to switch back to 5D3 if I can have resolution of around 3K. I need capacity for color correction as I shoot underwater.

BTW, is the live view really that poor with this module? Gray scale is fine for me. Thanks.

15 hours ago, mercer said:

With the 3K/4K Raw... is it a module or a nightly experimental build?

It's an experimental build that is separate from the nightly builds, scroll here

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

9 hours ago, kkfok1031 said:

Thanks a lot for your great help. For the "crop" what I want to know is the the crop ratio in FOV, for example if I use a 50mm lens, what is the approximate FOV after using the setting of 3520 x 1320? Does ratio of 2.351 mean the 50mm lens becomes a 117.5mm lens?

I once had a 5D3, but sold it for a 1D-C 2 years ago for 4K, now is thinking to switch back to 5D3 if I can have resolution of around 3K. I need capacity for color correction as I shoot underwater.

BTW, is the live view really that poor with this module? Gray scale is fine for me. Thanks.

I'm not very technically minded... But if the horizontal resolution is 5760, then isn't it the horizontal crop factor something like 5760 divided by the horizontal resolution, eg, 5760/3072 = 1.875 crop factor?

I think proper crop factors use a diagonal measurement, too tired to work it out!

The live view is pretty bad, right now... It's not so much the grey scale but the fps, it is really jittery and looks to be running at about 5fps.

I

40 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's an experimental build that is separate from the nightly builds, scroll here

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

I'm not very technically minded... But if the horizontal resolution is 5760, then isn't it the horizontal crop factor something like 5760 divided by the horizontal resolution, eg, 5760/3072 = 1.875 crop factor?

I think proper crop factors use a diagonal measurement, too tired to work it out!

The live view is pretty bad, right now... It's not so much the grey scale but the fps, it is really jittery and looks to be running at about 5fps.

Thanks.

Are you talking about aspect ratio?

• Administrators
On 07/07/2017 at 3:57 PM, HelsinkiZim said:

Im going to be getting a 5D for raw next week. Is there any benefit getting the mark 3 over mark 2 when shooting with ML? 

They are very similar in 1080p if you have the VAF moire filter installed on the 5D2, so you can save some money there but the big difference is the 5D3 can do the stunning 3.5K footage in crop mode and lossless compression.

5D2 is 14bit only.

Also it doesn't do 60p 3x3 binning.

Dear peoples... Can you test something for me? Who has 10bit lossless in 3.5K? I did. Then it went away without explanation (same build, same card). Now the minimum is 11bit.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Dear peoples... Can you test something for me? Who has 10bit lossless in 3.5K? I did. Then it went away without explanation (same build, same card). Now the minimum is 11bit.

I get 11-8bit option

I seem to remember reading A1ex said that it automatically picks from 11bit, 10bit or 8 bit depending on the ISO selected.